RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn Rules Violation with Recruitment of Maya Moore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbri131014

PostPosted: 03/16/08 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

By the way I'm a Rutgers Fan

Which still doesn't explain how you could blame TN fans for this.

I strongly believe that if Moore went to Tenn or any other school BESIDES UCONN this would NOT be an issue. THIS is why we blame Tenn. Perfect Patty is still bitter Patty. If Moore had not picked Uconn we would still have the series this would not be an issue. Perfect Patty is using Moore as her Bait. What is really going to come out of this? Probation? Which will result in what? Fewer basketball used during practice? Confused

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/16/08 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
Funny how a good friend of mine was told by an ESPN employee just call and an entire youth league basketball team can get a tour....

I called ESPN yesterday and asked for studio tour information and was connected to a recorded message that said tours were not being offered and wouldn't be for the foreseeable future. It didn't sound like a new tape. (Didn't get an answer when I just tried the same number today.)

The item by the New York Times blogger that's linked earlier in this thread says that such tours were discontinued after 9/11/01 out of security concerns.

That sounds credible to me, but I'm content to wait for the NCAA to make its determination. In the meantime, be wary of the misinformation that will be flying around over this--both the honest mistakes and deliberate disinformation.

Also be aware of efforts to make it simply a Pat vs. Geno, Tennessee vs. UConn flap. It is that, of course. But primarily it's the Connecticut women's basketball program on the one hand and every other program on the other, particularly those that try to recruit the same players.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 03/17/08 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

I strongly believe that if Moore went to Tenn or any other school BESIDES UCONN this would NOT be an issue. THIS is why we blame Tenn. Perfect Patty is still bitter Patty. If Moore had not picked Uconn we would still have the series this would not be an issue. Perfect Patty is using Moore as her Bait. What is really going to come out of this? Probation? Which will result in what? Fewer basketball used during practice? Confused

This is what I really don't understand. Instead of some Connecticut fans saying okay we broke a rule and it's still being investigated by the NCAA, Connecticut fans blame Pat Summitt. As if Pat Summitt went out there and broke the rule for Connecticut. It might end up being a minor infraction, but if you believe you were wronged aren't you supposed to report it to the governing body? Are you to do nothing and just sit back and complain and spread your own unfounded rumors? Are you to do nothing because you're afraid people will think you did it out of jealousy?

I mean, at least this way, if/when the NCAA says okay this was nothing no punishment, Pat would have known she did what she was supposed to and then she and Tennessee fans will have no leg to stand on regarding alleged Uconn violations because the governing body would have called "no foul" in this instance. You would think that either way Uconn fans, if they truly stand for fairness in the sport, would be satisfied.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 03/17/08 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
bigbri131014 wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

This is what I really don't understand. Instead of some Connecticut fans saying okay we broke a rule and it's still being investigated by the NCAA, Connecticut fans blame Pat Summitt. As if Pat Summitt went out there and broke the rule for Connecticut. It might end up being a minor infraction, but if you believe you were wronged aren't you supposed to report it to the governing body? Are you to do nothing and just sit back and complain and spread your own unfounded rumors? Are you to do nothing because you're afraid people will think you did it out of jealousy?

I mean, at least this way, if/when the NCAA says okay this was nothing no punishment, Pat would have known she did what she was supposed to and then she and Tennessee fans will have no leg to stand on regarding alleged Uconn violations because the governing body would have called "no foul" in this instance. You would think that either way Uconn fans, if they truly stand for fairness in the sport, would be satisfied.

OK i wont stick up for the team that i support. I bet you wouldnt stick up for Pat if the shoe was on the other foot.. Confused

Taoduck

PostPosted: 03/17/08 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Speaking of violations: when UConn fans bring up Pat's marriage, divorce and private life, it just makes UConn fans look bad. Please don't.

Well said!
Pat's personal life has no bearing on this issue.

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion, the whole reason for ESPN not offering tours, because of 9/11, is bullshit. The attacks were a purely political move, targeting the World Trade Center buildings, the Pentagon, and supposedly the White House. I don't see anything else, especially sports-related, being threatened. So why would ESPN discontinue tours because of that? Nobody's flying planes into the ESPN building. I can understand tightening security a bit but banning people to take tours sounds ridiculous to me.

That excuse sounds fishy to me.

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
In my opinion, the whole reason for ESPN not offering tours, because of 9/11, is bullshit. The attacks were a purely political move, targeting the World Trade Center buildings, the Pentagon, and supposedly the White House. I don't see anything else, especially sports-related, being threatened. So why would ESPN discontinue tours because of that? Nobody's flying planes into the ESPN building. I can understand tightening security a bit but banning people to take tours sounds ridiculous to me.

I agree with you. The action seems extreme for a sports entertainment organization/channel.

However, if something did happen to ESPN and it was off the air, TV viewing options would s*ck! Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/18/08 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:

Maybe because having three thousand of our people killed by airplanes on one day scared the hell out of everyone? Have you forgotten what that day was like? We didn't know what happened, and even after we found out, for the longest time we felt completely unsafe. The anthrax in letters stuff probably didn't help.

I don't blame them one bit for doing that.

As for the rest of this abomination of a thread, it doesn't matter. As I think I mentioned earlier, there is a group of coaches who could hand a recruit large sums of cash in a paper sack with Myles Brand inspecting the sack and it wouldn't end up messing up those schools in any way. Pat and Geno are two of them.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/18/08 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="bigbri131014"][quote="gpark33"]
Lib Fan wrote:

Whew! With a few hundred chicken farms, egg factories and illegal moonshine stills as University of Tennessee's top nearby attractions, thank God Maya resisted the temptation to tour one on her visit there!

jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/18/08 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Whew! With a few hundred chicken farms, egg factories and illegal moonshine stills as University of Tennessee's top nearby attractions, thank God Maya resisted the temptation to tour one on her visit there!

Actually, there are some pretty cool things around here, although someone who doesn't know wouldn't think so.

I must say that there are two attractions we could get recruits to visit against NCAA rules, and they both belong to Dolly Parton.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 03/18/08 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this for a while now.. When a recruit comes to visit your school you want to SELL you school and state and surroundings areas to make it most appealing to the recruit. Why is the NCAA restricting things such as tours (if they are offered to the public) to recruits? If it doesnt have a price tag on it and there are no papers signed whats the big deal?

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/18/08 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: the comments about the tours stopping after 9/11 being BS.

Have you guys visited any U.S. tourist attractions since 9/11? There are much tighter security restrictions and yes, tours of more than just ESPN have been discontinued. Why would ESPN say they discontinued tours after 9/11 if that were not the case?

myt

PostPosted: 03/19/08 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

Have you guys visited any U.S. tourist attractions since 9/11? There are much tighter security restrictions and yes, tours of more than just ESPN have been discontinued. Why would ESPN say they discontinued tours after 9/11 if that were not the case?

Actually I have and yes they are tighter. My bad Confused

PostPosted: 03/19/08 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I have, and like I said, I can understand tightening security, but I don't understand banning tours outright. As long as they go through the proper security precautions (metal detector, etc etc) what is the harm?

PostPosted: 03/19/08 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Yes, I have, and like I said, I can understand tightening security, but I don't understand banning tours outright. As long as they go through the proper security precautions (metal detector, etc etc) what is the harm?

Speaking as someone who lives in Washington, the truth is that 9/11 caused an incredible number of people to tighten security in peculiar and sometimes ridiculous ways. For instance, I've endured several years (seriously) of construction on my way to and from work because they decided to create new protection for the Lincoln Memorial. (I should be grateful that at least they spent the money to design the security in a way that doesn't make the whole thing ugly.) They've also created underground visitor centers (meaning, places to screen for bombs) for the Washington Monument and the Capitol. The project for the Capitol already is a couple of years behind schedule and way, way over budget, and it does not seem to have occurred to anyone that a lone bomber actually probably could kill more people in the enclosed underground spaces where an explosion will have nowhere to go than in the open air. We Washingtonians also had to put up with rules that prohibited anyone from getting up out of an airplane seat for a half hour at the beginning and end of a flight, a restriction that was in place nowhere else in the country and that made no sense at all once the cockpit doors were locked for the duration of the flight. (That's gone now, by the way. Apparently somebody realized it was pointless.) I could go on and on, but I'll stop now before I annoy people too much.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/19/08 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

The problem being that there are conflicting stories. Some have said ESPN is giving tours, some saying it's not.

And the BS, is possibly that if they did stop giving tours, how do we know it's not because of the current Maya problem and they are just using it as an excuse. (9/11 was quite a while ago..) And..why would a television station in Connecticut really feel like they were effected.

PostPosted: 03/19/08 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
The problem being that there are conflicting stories. Some have said ESPN is giving tours, some saying it's not.

And the BS, is possibly that if they did stop giving tours, how do we know it's not because of the current Maya problem and they are just using it as an excuse. (9/11 was quite a while ago..) And..why would a television station in Connecticut really feel like they were effected.

Several people on the board have said they called and ESPN says no tours. I haven't personally called. My gut would say if you don;t buy that and want to know yourself, call ESPN and ask for a tour.

Shortly after 9/11 you may remember a big Anthrax scare at NBC. As if 9/11 were not enough, that moved networks into virtually locking their doors.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 03/19/08 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://blogs.courant.com/sports_uconn/uconn_womens_basketball/index.html

The NCAA has concluded its investigation concerning the involvement of the UConn women's basketball program for arranging a tour of ESPN for Maya Moore and her mother in 2005.

UConn was admonished for a "secondary violation" ....
"This review resulted in a self-reported secondary
violation. The institution worked cooperatively with the Association
and information was recently submitted following standard NCAA
procedures. The University and the NCAA now consider this matter
closed."

Courtsey of the BY...wow i wonder how thats tasting to Perfect Patty! EAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW GO HUSKIES BRING IT HOME LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Orion

PostPosted: 03/19/08 10:04 pm    ::: UConn rules violation Reply Reply with quote

"Perfect Patty"?

"EAT IT" ?

Lovely. How old are you anyway?

PostPosted: 03/19/08 10:06 pm    ::: Re: UConn rules violation Reply Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
"Perfect Patty"?

"EAT IT" ?

Lovely. How old are you anyway?

20 YO thank you very much Smile oh and this from ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3302510

STORRS, Conn. -- The University of Connecticut said it self-reported a secondary violation of NCAA rules involving the recruiting of basketball player Maya Moore.

The violation occurred in 2005, when the women's basketball office arranged for Moore to tour the studios of ESPN in Bristol.

It was first reported last week by ESPN.

The school says it learned of the violation last year, and recently completed a review of the all the facts, resulting in the school reporting it to the NCAA. The school did not say when that report was made.

The NCAA defines a secondary violation as one that is inadvertent in nature or doesn't represent a significant competitive advantage. Penalties are usually minor, and can include a letter in the school's file.

School officials said Wednesday that UConn and the NCAA "now consider this matter closed."

Jennifer Kearns, a spokeswoman for the NCAA, says the association does not comment on secondary violations.

hmm.. guess the SEC had to go OUT of there way JUST to make sure the NCAA knew about it and in fact they already did!! hmm... im guessin thats not tasting too dandy now is it?

Orion

PostPosted: 03/19/08 10:07 pm    ::: UConn rules violation Reply Reply with quote

20? I would have guessed 13. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/19/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

Speaking as someone who lives in Washington, the truth is that 9/11 caused an incredible number of people to tighten security in peculiar and sometimes ridiculous ways. For instance, I've endured several years (seriously) of construction on my way to and from work because they decided to create new protection for the Lincoln Memorial. (I should be grateful that at least they spent the money to design the security in a way that doesn't make the whole thing ugly.) They've also created underground visitor centers (meaning, places to screen for bombs) for the Washington Monument and the Capitol. The project for the Capitol already is a couple of years behind schedule and way, way over budget, and it does not seem to have occurred to anyone that a lone bomber actually probably could kill more people in the enclosed underground spaces where an explosion will have nowhere to go than in the open air. We Washingtonians also had to put up with rules that prohibited anyone from getting up out of an airplane seat for a half hour at the beginning and end of a flight, a restriction that was in place nowhere else in the country and that made no sense at all once the cockpit doors were locked for the duration of the flight. (That's gone now, by the way. Apparently somebody realized it was pointless.) I could go on and on, but I'll stop now before I annoy people too much.

I do know what you are referring to as I go to Washington DC for college. However, my point is, while tightening security is fine, what is the reasoning for banning tours outright? As long as their security detail do their job properly (not just the staff but also the technology), there should be no concern, especially for a non-political facility such as ESPN.

PostPosted: 03/19/08 11:02 pm    ::: Re: UConn rules violation Reply Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
20? I would have guessed 13. Rolling Eyes

gee thanks! cause ONE sarcastic post clearly makes me a teenager Smile

Orion

PostPosted: 03/20/08 7:01 am    ::: UConn rules violation Reply Reply with quote

This may seem remarkable to you, but I do not actually monitor all your posts. Something about interest, time... etc. The posts you made in this thread, however, certainly sound barely post-pubescent.

Rolling Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: