RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Tournament Selection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taciturnus

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Show me the money.

After two years of poor attendance, it looks like just about everything else was sacrificed to bolster attendance at the games. OU, in a virtual freefall, gets OKC because Sooner fans are way more reliable than Ok State fans, who seem not to want to leave Stillwater. LSU playing in the Big Easy will generate a lot more $$$. Even up in Des Moines, ISU will pack the place.

I don't necessarily disagree with all this, but it shows just how hollow all the rhetoric was a few years ago about how important it was to get the games to neutral, pre-determined sites.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU shouldn't have been seriously considered for a #1 seed because of their lack of quality wins.

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taciturnus wrote:
Show me the money.

After two years of poor attendance, it looks like just about everything else was sacrificed to bolster attendance at the games. OU, in a virtual freefall, gets OKC because Sooner fans are way more reliable than Ok State fans, who seem not to want to leave Stillwater. LSU playing in the Big Easy will generate a lot more $$$. Even up in Des Moines, ISU will pack the place.

I don't necessarily disagree with all this, but it shows just how hollow all the rhetoric was a few years ago about how important it was to get the games to neutral, pre-determined sites.

And IIRC they're going back to 16 sites for the first two rounds next year.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:
What the fuck. This year is fucked up. I can't believe UConn and Rutgers are in the same bracket. Unbelievable.

Why are people upset about this? I guess I am missing something, but my brain is on freeze frame from moving and lack of sleep.

Because Uconn was the overall #1 seed...and let's be honest. There are the top seven teams (Uconn, Tenn, LSU, Stanford, Rutgers, UNC, Maryland) And everyone else...UConn should have gotten the easiest team...

BTW, how can anyone say Tenn got the hardest bracket last year...didn't they end up playing Marist to get to the elite 8 and then Ole Miss to get the final four....both unranked...

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else think they stacked things to favor UT? UConn and RU hafta go at each other again; UNC would hafta play LSU in what is essentially a home game for LSU; MD and Stanford hafta beat each other up; and UT gets the weak sister two-seed (thinking of RU as the "weakest" two-seed is a joke). Basically, UT gets a cakewalk to the FF, and the other three teams that get there will be too tired to play. In plain blunt terms, the Committee made UT the top seed.

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Does anyone else think they stacked things to favor UT? UConn and RU hafta go at each other again; UNC would hafta play LSU in what is essentially a home game for LSU; MD and Stanford hafta beat each other up; and UT gets the weak sister two-seed (thinking of RU as the "weakest" two-seed is a joke). Basically, UT gets a cakewalk to the FF, and the other three teams that get there will be too tired to play. In plain blunt terms, the Committee made UT the top seed.

I don't think tiredness will be a factor - the first FF game is 5 days after the last Elite 8 game - but I do agree that Tennessee seems to have gotten the cleanest route to Tampa. The only complaints are pretty minor, since playing Purdue won't be a challenge no matter where the game is and Oklahoma doesn't look like much of a lock even to get to the Sweet 16.

As for the other regionals, well, UNC at LSU (uh, I mean New Orleans) is pretty tough, and the trip to Spokane will be tough for Maryland, even if it's not quite a home game for Stanford. UConn's bracket isn't bad except for Rutgers, but I'm pretty sure that's the one team Geno wouldn't want to see with only one day to prep. (I see a lot of UConn fans on the Boneyard talking bravely, and they're probably right, but there's still only one team that's beaten UConn this season, and RU has more wins over UConn in the last 4 years than anybody else, including two at UConn.) Granted, RU has to get there first, but the Sweet Sixteen choices for Rutgers include two teams that the Scarlet Knights already beat this year.

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:

And Candace Parker has lighter skin than Courtney Paris...

Same ole Bill...

Grumps

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
Why are people upset about this? I guess I am missing something, but my brain is on freeze frame from moving and lack of sleep.

It's an issue because deluded Big East fans actually think Rutgers is a threat to do anything other than disappoint. Like I said earlier, I don't think they'll make it out of their half of the Greensboro bracket (I think Iowa State--despite their glaring weaknesses--or Cal can take 'em out), which will make this little hissy fit seem beyond ridiculous.

Apparently, Rutgers is "dangerous" despite losing to UConn by 20 two weeks ago. Rolling Eyes Okay, whatever. The arrogance of the Big East fans is just...ugh. UConn/RU isn't a birthright. You have to WIN games to get to that point.

Mathies to LA 2013
memphis10

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Quote:
John (Chicago, IL): Hi Judy, what factor distinguished Florida St. from the other bubble teams and earned them a bid?

Judy Southard: (9:46 PM ET ) Florida State was one of 11 teams remaining on the board when we got down to the last three spots. We were trying to very carefully compare these teams and distinguish them from the other teams we were looking at. Florida State had 8 loses to teams that were ranked in the top 15 RPI. They had a tough schedule. The other factor was to try to treat the block of 9 games when their leading scorer was out of the lineup. Those were two things that we took some time with in putting them into the bracket.

Uh...what? Is that even valid?

Seriously. I didn't know the committee could award an at-large bid to a team whose leading scorer missed nine games due to academic fraud (yes, THAT FSU scandal). The committee's full of humanitarians, I see. Wink

To show just how much I haven't cared/though FSU had a chance in hell of making the field of 64, who's the cheat?

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
To show just how much I haven't cared/though FSU had a chance in hell of making the field of 64, who's the cheat?

Davis-Cain

Mathies to LA 2013
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight, I don't necessarily disagree that Temple shouldn't have gotten in (and I definitely don't disagree that they get a bias because of their coach's rsum), but throwing out that they lost to a Dayton team with 25 wins (so far) and a 62 RPI isn't the worst thing they have going for them. Dayton also beat Xavier twice and beat Indiana. So let's not act like losing to Dayton is an end-all, be-all loss.

Temple's worst loss, according to collegeRPI.com, is North Carolina State at 65. I think they're being rewarded for their tough out of conference schedule (not saying they should have been, but just trying to guess at why they were in aside from the above reasons).

In my opinion, Florida State is the biggest huh team this year. They are the Louisiana-Lafayette of 2008... At least they're from a BCS conference, though (to make things different and confusing). Florida State lost at home to Oakland, and recently lost to Clemson...

Clemson, by the way, lost to that awful Dayton team by 38 points this year.

RockyRacoon

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
I think Maryland got the lowest of the number 1 seeds.

Honestly, I was completely resigned and expecting a #2 seed, I could not be more shocked. The duke loss was fresh enough that it wiped out the memory of the overall strong schedule we played.

I'm glad the crack didn't wipe out the committee's memory. Smile

Yep. The ACC final was an oddball. I really think Maryland is one of the strongest teams, despite the loss to Duke. But, y'all just go ahead and think that they're not. We'll see. Cool

PostPosted: 03/18/08 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm LSU, I'd rather be a #2 in New Orleans than a #1 somewhere like Spokane anyway. I doubt they're beefing at all.

And Stanford should be feeling pretty good too, after that momentary wounded feeling. They're as close to home as they can be and have a struggling Baylor as their #3. And then the most vulnerable #1 after that. What's not to like?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/18/08 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, I go to the Bahamas for Spring Break... and then on my way home my flight is delayed, and this HOT MESS of a bracket is revealed so I miss out on all the drama.

First of all, I'm so glad Candy P got a nice going away present before she bounces from college to go to the W with a pretty much guarenteed trip to the Final Four. That's real cute...

UConn/Rutgers is hit or miss with me. I think RU can get beat early on so I'm not too worried, but as a UConn fan, teams like Texas and Cal scare me. I think it works in UConn's favor that lost to RU already once this year...

Pretty much every "expert" (I use that term loosely) on the .com has the Huskies as a lock for the Final Four, but I'm not so sure myself.

Favorite first round matchup? DEPAUL/MARIST. That is going to be a shoot-out. A gunner like myself looks forward to these types of games -- us shooters need love too. (And I think Marist was underseeded.)

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/18/08 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taciturnus wrote:
Show me the money.

I agree with this in a lot of ways. The head of the selection committee was talking about how she believes this is the most balance bracket they've had in about 10 years, but looking at it, I really honestly think she's full of shit. And I think it really must come down to attendance. Perhaps they have to make an effort to get those seats sold. But in all seriousness, how do you get LSU and UNC in the same bracket? Maryland, IMO, should've been the third no. 2 and should've gone up against Tennesse while Stanford and LSU should've fought it out as the 4 and 5 teams.

tennis2

PostPosted: 03/18/08 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Same ole Bill...

Grumps

from what i have seen, courtney does much better in the media....paris is personable, funny, just an interesting young woman........i don't believe people would rather see parker speak on tv and read interviews about her than they would paris......and, though it is TOTALLY irrelevant, courtney IS prettier..........if looks do have something to do with it, i don't think it is the color of the skin, but maybe the fact that paris is large.........and we can't have large women, no matter what color they are...............men are not prone to be as attracted to large women and they do control the media

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/18/08 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Quote:
John (Chicago, IL): Hi Judy, what factor distinguished Florida St. from the other bubble teams and earned them a bid?

Judy Southard: (9:46 PM ET ) Florida State was one of 11 teams remaining on the board when we got down to the last three spots. We were trying to very carefully compare these teams and distinguish them from the other teams we were looking at. Florida State had 8 loses to teams that were ranked in the top 15 RPI. They had a tough schedule. The other factor was to try to treat the block of 9 games when their leading scorer was out of the lineup. Those were two things that we took some time with in putting them into the bracket.

If it is, then how was LSU not a #1 seed?

kage

PostPosted: 03/18/08 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inconsistency from the committee.

What a shocker. Laughing
dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/18/08 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taciturnus wrote:
Show me the money.

Don't think that attendance concerns terribly distorted the bracket, but am sure you're "right on" in it being an important factor.

I'll say again this year that the women's tournament got way ahead of itself when it went to the 8-site pod arrangement. The rhetoric was hollow, as you say, from the start. The NCAA is wisely going to step back from the pod system, beginning in 2010 I think, because expanses of empty seats are the worst marketing visuals you can have.

The next logical step would be to go back to the top 16 getting to host rounds 1 and 2. I don't expect it, but I'd love to see it. ESPN could handle the logistics if they too decided good crowds made better tv and were thus worth the extra cost and work.

myt

PostPosted: 03/18/08 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tennis2 wrote:
Grumps wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Same ole Bill...

Grumps

from what i have seen, courtney does much better in the media....paris is personable, funny, just an interesting young woman........i don't believe people would rather see parker speak on tv and read interviews about her than they would paris......and, though it is TOTALLY irrelevant, courtney IS prettier..........if looks do have something to do with it, i don't think it is the color of the skin, but maybe the fact that paris is large.........and we can't have large women, no matter what color they are...............men are not prone to be as attracted to large women and they do control the media

Both Candace and Courtney are beautiful women and are great role models for our youth. Lets not let the convo get too off base and ugly. The media pitts these two against each other enough, right? Confused

PostPosted: 03/18/08 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
Both Candace and Courtney are beautiful women and are great role models for our youth. Lets not let the convo get too off base and ugly. The media pitts these two against each other enough, right? Confused

Excellent point. I think both are very good basketball players who play different positions. Best of luck to both CP3's.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/18/08 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Quote:

UUGGGHH! This is (1/3 of the reason) why UA is in the tourney on the men's side and ASU is not. The Committees are CRAAAZZY. :::Goes to pull hair out in frustration:::

braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/18/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Quote:

UUGGGHH! This is (1/3 of the reason) why UA is in the tourney on the men's side and ASU is not. The Committees are CRAAAZZY. :::Goes to pull hair out in frustration:::

I know. Rolling Eyes

I'm hoping for ASU to win all of their games by an average of 15-20 points and win the championship to prove the NCAA Committee wrong.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: