RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Musings on seeding principles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/18/08 4:20 pm    ::: Musings on seeding principles Reply Reply with quote

Judy Southard repeated something last night that she’s said before, which is that the WBCA had urged the committee to focus on geography in setting up the brackets, and that was why they’d taken the approach they did. I’m almost afraid to say this, but I think I believe her. I also suspect that she didn’t understand what was being said, or at least what the coaches really meant. (My guess is that most WBCA members want geographic seeding for their own teams because they know that they’re usually one and done. That’s different than how teams with championship aspirations see the bracket, and I doubt that most WBCA members want the two through six seeds assigned that way.) Anyway, I’ve been pondering the ideal way to set the brackets (or at least a better way), and thought I’d see what other people think.

This all proceeds from the assumption that the committee has picked all the teams and then sets the S-curve. Their procedures say that they nominate 8 teams for 1 seeds, pick the 1s, then nominate 8 teams for the 2 seeds, pick those, etc. They’re also allowed to move teams up or down a line on the bracket if they think they have to do so to fix some other problem. With that in mind, here’s what I would have them do:

1. After the 1 seeds are picked and ranked, assign them to regions in rank order, with the #1 #1 getting the best geographic match, etc. That is what they say they do today.

2. After the 2 seeds are picked, assign them initially strictly based on the S-curve - #5 gets the last #1 seed, #6 gets the #3 #1 seed and so on. If this does not result in any conference matchups, set the bracket this way. If it does put a #1 and #2 from the same conference against each other, make the minimum changes necessary to fix the problem, with minimum defined as whatever leaves you with a total ranking closest to 9 in each region (e.g., #1 #1 plus #4 #2 is 9, and #2 #1 plus #2 #2 is 8).

3. Repeat the process for the #2 seeds with the 3 and 4 seeds, except that (a) the initial placements are based on achieving balance (that is, the totals of the positions on the S-curve for the 1 to 4 seeds in each region come as close as possible to 34 {1 plus 8 plus 9 plus 16}) and (b) it’s permissible to have a 2 and 4 from the same conference in the same region and to have a 1 and 3 from the same conference in the same region, so long as they are not both among the top 3 teams from a conference. The balance condition may sound wacky, but it’s in the rules already and actually not so bad if you start out by trying to make the 1-2 lines balanced. A team could be moved to a different region and/or bumped up or down a line to address conference pairing issues issues.

4. Repeat the process for the remaining seeds through #9, except that the only constraints are that no two teams from same conference can meet until the regional final and that teams from any given conference will be allocated as evenly as possible among the brackets. Again, a team could be bumped up or down a line to solve any problems.

5. For the #10 through #16 seeds, place the teams the same way you place them for the #1 seeds, with the same constraints as for 5 through 8 seeds. However, use the subregional locations for this purpose, not the regional locations.

I pondered whether to apply the last rule to teams with better seeds, but I suspect that coaches with those higher seeds would rather get the “right” spot in the bracket than the most convenient location. Anyway, this approach seemed considerably more likely to meet the two constraints that seem relevant – rewarding and penalizing teams according to their merits and getting the teams that are likely to be going home early a chance to be seen by the home town folks – than the current system. Also, and not a minor issue, it makes doing the top of the bracket a lot easier because it presumes that you start with a balanced bracket, rather than starting with assignments that have nothing to do with balance.

So, what have I missed?

Last edited by beknighted on 03/18/08 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:03 pm    ::: Re: Musings on seeding principles Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
2. After the 2 seeds are picked, assign them initially strictly based on the S-curve - #5 gets the last #1 seed, #6 gets the #3 #1 seed and so on. If this does not result in any conference matchups, set the bracket this way. If it does put a #1 and #2 from the same conference against each other, make the minimum changes necessary to fix the problem, with minimum defined as whatever leaves you with a total ranking closest to 9 in each region (e.g., #1 #1 plus #4 #2 is 9, and #2 #1 plus #2 #2 is 8 ).

4. Repeat the process for the remaining seeds through #9, except that the only constraints are that no two teams from same conference can meet until the regional final and that teams from any given conference will be allocated as evenly as possible among the brackets. Again, a team could be bumped up or down a line to solve any problems.

I agree with your suspicion that coaches with those higher seeds would rather get the “right” spot in the bracket than the most convenient location. And kudos to you for thinking up a solution.

I have two questions.
1. You lost me on your math in the parentheses in Rule 2. I think I get how the first #1 plus the 4th #2 = 9. But how does the 2nd #1 plus the 2nd #2 = 8...? What am I missing?

2. Might it ever be impossible to situate it so no two teams from the same conference could meet until the regional final? If it were impossible in one case, what would the guiding principles be then?

kage

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. You lost me on your math in the parentheses in Rule 2. I think I get how the first #1 plus the 4th #2 = 9. But how does the 2nd #1 plus the 2nd #2 = 8...? What am I missing?

First #1 = 1. Fourth #2 = 8. 1 + 8 = 9.

Second #1 = 2. Second #2 = 6. 2 + 6 = 8.
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:

Yes, but that's my problem! How does the the Second #2 = 6???

Is this some secret Selection Committee math that I was never taught as a newbie wcbb fan?? Doesn't 2 times 2 = 4? Are you sure you don't mean the Third #2 = 6???

braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top four seeds are placed on the S-curve, 1 2 3 4. The next four teams, all number 2 seeds, are "ranked" 5, 6, 7, and 8. Thus, the second #2 seed is the 6th team (the first #2 team would be fifth on the S-curve).

EDIT: It's not multiplication, but a list of some sort.

the S-curve is slanted as this,

1 2 3 4 (#1 seeds)
8 7 6 5 (#2 seeds)
9 10 11 12 (#3 seeds)
16 15 14 13 (#4 seeds)

So, theoretically, the number 1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament should have the worst #2 and #4 seed along with the best #3 seed in their bracket.

Last edited by braveniler58 on 03/18/08 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
kage wrote:

Yes, but that's my problem! How does the the Second #2 = 6???

Is this some secret Selection Committee math that I was never taught as a newbie wcbb fan?? Doesn't 2 times 2 = 4? Are you sure you don't mean the Third #2 = 6???

If you followed the S-curve, the seeds would be assigned this way:

Rank
1 - #1 #1
2 - #2 #1
3 - #3 #1
4 - #4 #1
5 - #1 #2
6 - #2 #2
7 - #3 #2
8 - #4 #2
etc.

So the ranks for the #1 #1 and the #4 #2 would be 1 and 8, respectively, and the ranks for the #2 #1 and the #2 #2 would be 2 and 6, respectively.

As for the other question, you would have that problem only if there were 9 teams from a conference. There was some conversation about having 9 teams from the Big XII earlier this year, but it didn't happen, and it's never happened in the 27 years of the tournament. (The Big East actually had a shot at it this year, too, but Marquette needed to win a couple more games.) In that case, I think you have to spread the seeds out as best you can, and I would say you'd put the last team in the conference wherever you can in the bracket to make that team meet a conference opponent in the regional semis.

Edited to add:

Braveniler's explanation is a lot easier to follow than mine.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you braveniler and bek... so it IS some secret math I wasn't taught as a wcbb newbie. Laughing Thanks for enlightening me!

myt

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted, I see we are going to have to sneek you into the selection process room next year! Wink

PostPosted: 03/18/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're welcome. =)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: