RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big West Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbjules

PostPosted: 03/16/08 9:15 am    ::: Big West Tournament Reply Reply with quote

UCSB won the Big West tournament & will return to the dance after a two year absence beating UC Davis 74-59 yesterday. Order has been restored in the Gaucho universe Laughing

Jessica Wilson was MVP. The Gauchos only had 6 turnovers (Coach Mark French said that the Gauchos usually have 6 t.o.s before they get off the bus), scored 21 points off turnovers & had 14 fast break points, so it was a fun game to watch!!

Now to see where we'll play.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/16/08 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats! I thought of you last night when I saw the Big West score on the ticker and was hoping it was a UCSB win and was happy when I saw it was Smile.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/16/08 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats UCSB!

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 03/16/08 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought my Aggies might be able to pull an upset, but they are probably a couple of seasons away from making a NCAA appearance. Congrats to UCSB for sure though....

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/16/08 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Congrats! I thought of you last night when I saw the Big West score on the ticker and was hoping it was a UCSB win and was happy when I saw it was Smile.

I always look for Marquette scores too. The old, hidden espn boarders are like a small fraternity.

cattekin

PostPosted: 03/17/08 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kbailey3131 wrote:
I thought my Aggies might be able to pull an upset, but they are probably a couple of seasons away from making a NCAA appearance.

A couple seasons away? Why, do you expect Jessica Campbell and some other outstanding Aggies to be granted a sixth year of eligibility then?

Davis had their best shot at it this year -- I even predicted a UCD win, because they won't get this close again for a while -- but UCSB controlled the tempo, and sustained their runs.

cattekin

PostPosted: 03/17/08 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I thought of you last night when I saw the Big West score on the ticker

I thought of sbjules too! I thought, "where *are* these people who say they're such big fans but fail to show up for the tournament?".

Unless Jules *was* there, in which case I apologize. If I remember right, s/he was at the Santa Clara road game, where the UCSB section screamed loudly enough all night to make it difficult to work on press row.

cattekin

PostPosted: 03/17/08 3:32 am    ::: Re: Big West Tournament Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
The Gauchos only had 6 turnovers (Coach Mark French said that the Gauchos usually have 6 t.o.s before they get off the bus)

UCSB did a splendid job taking care of the ball. UCD coach Sandy Simpson noted that UCSB made six turnovers against his team's pressure, whereas Stanford made 23.

I didn't think UCSB looked like the conference's perennial power any of the three times I saw them during the regular season, but they were certainly the best team at the tournament.

This year was Davis's best shot to unseat them -- with their outstanding redshirt seniors -- but UCSB held them off. Next season looks like Pacific's turn -- the most improved team in the Big West adds a Div. II All-American in redshirt senior Amber Simmons and a freshman of the year candidate in Miss Iowa Basketball Jennifer Jorgensen -- but I'm not sure that'll be enough for the Tigers, considering that Jenna Green rejoins UCSB's frontcourt with a now greatly-improved Kat Suderman.

French's eyes lit up when he talked about Green on the same floor as Suderman. That should've been a scary moment for people rooting for other Big West teams.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/17/08 9:46 am    ::: Re: Big West Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to the Gauchos!

(And I agree about the old ESPN secret boarders.)

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
thought of sbjules too! I thought, "where *are* these people who say they're such big fans but fail to show up for the tournament?".

Unless Jules *was* there, in which case I apologize. If I remember right, s/he was at the Santa Clara road game, where the UCSB section screamed loudly enough all night to make it difficult to work on press row

I was there on Saturday Very Happy Very Happy

I had to work Friday although I didn't get much work done while listening to the semi-final game. I'll have to wait a couple of years until I can go for the entire tournament & be a true bb junkee.

I agree about Pacific being the team to look for next year as well as Cal Poly. I think Kristina Santiago should have been freshman of the year. That said, I think the Gauchos will prevail again. Two medical redshirts return (we haven't heard about Jenna yet, but I think she'll be granted a 6th year), a transfer from Wisconsin, and we only lose two seniors--granted they're a player of the year & Onaniwu is a gem too.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/08 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:
thought of sbjules too! I thought, "where *are* these people who say they're such big fans but fail to show up for the tournament?".

Unless Jules *was* there, in which case I apologize. If I remember right, s/he was at the Santa Clara road game, where the UCSB section screamed loudly enough all night to make it difficult to work on press row

I had to work Friday although I didn't get much work done while listening to the semi-final game. I'll have to wait a couple of years until I can go for the entire tournament & be a true bb junkee.

I agree about Pacific being the team to look for next year as well as Cal Poly. I think Kristina Santiago should have been freshman of the year. That said, I think the Gauchos will prevail again. Two medical redshirts return (we haven't heard about Jenna yet, but I think she'll be granted a 6th year), a transfer from Wisconsin, and we only lose two seniors--granted they're a player of the year & Onaniwu is a gem too.

I'm a huge Marquette fan but going to Hartford for the BET just doesn't work for me. I did goto a Great Midwest Tourney and a few CUSA Tourneys over the years though. This is the first year in about 10 years I didn't make any Marquette road games - was supposed to goto Green Bay but family illness prevented that.

Who is the transfer from Wisconsin?

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

Chris Spencer. I don't remember the name.

http://www.noozhawk.com/sports/ucsb/ucsb-picks-up-wisconsin-transfer.html

Quote:
Spencer spent the last two seasons at the University of Wisconsin, where she appeared in 23 games as a freshman in 2005-06, posting averages of 2.3 points and 0.8 rebounds. She played a total of 177 minutes for the Badgers two years ago and shot 42.3 percent from the field and 35.7 percent from behind the three-point arc.

OT Marquette Fan, but I sat a couple of rows behind Coach Mitchell, Cara and Carolyn at the MN state high school tournament Saturday night. Angel was there as well, watching the game with her mom. Her dad is an assistant coach. Georgie Jones, who will be at Marquette next season was named to the All-Tournament team. She scored mostly from the line, but did a nice job defensively and rebounding.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/08 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Chris Spencer. I don't remember the name.

http://www.noozhawk.com/sports/ucsb/ucsb-picks-up-wisconsin-transfer.html

Quote:
Spencer spent the last two seasons at the University of Wisconsin, where she appeared in 23 games as a freshman in 2005-06, posting averages of 2.3 points and 0.8 rebounds. She played a total of 177 minutes for the Badgers two years ago and shot 42.3 percent from the field and 35.7 percent from behind the three-point arc.

OT Marquette Fan, but I sat a couple of rows behind Coach Mitchell, Cara and Carolyn at the MN state high school tournament Saturday night. Angel was there as well, watching the game with her mom. Her dad is an assistant coach. Georgie Jones, who will be at Marquette next season was named to the All-Tournament team. She scored mostly from the line, but did a nice job defensively and rebounding.

I remember Spencer but she didn't play much at UW.

Thanks for the info on the MN tournament. Someone has been posting on the MU board all year about Jones' stats and I was happy to see she won another state title. Any updates on the recruiting of Tayler Hill? I know Marquette is one of many schools recruiting her.

And speaking of Carolyn Kieger, someone at the Star Tribune might want to update their graphics Smile. There is still a picture of Kieger from her hs playing days on their preps insider graphic and she graduated from college two years ago now. It's in the middle of this page by Live Tournament Updates: http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/17/08 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kbailey3131 wrote:
I thought my Aggies might be able to pull an upset, but they are probably a couple of seasons away from making a NCAA appearance. Congrats to UCSB for sure though....

Well give credit to UC Davis for doing so well in this, their first season in Div. I. I don't think it's often that you go from Div. II to a conference tourney final in your first year going up.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/17/08 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cattekin wrote:
kbailey3131 wrote:
I thought my Aggies might be able to pull an upset, but they are probably a couple of seasons away from making a NCAA appearance.

A couple seasons away? Why, do you expect Jessica Campbell and some other outstanding Aggies to be granted a sixth year of eligibility then?

Davis had their best shot at it this year -- I even predicted a UCD win, because they won't get this close again for a while -- but UCSB controlled the tempo, and sustained their runs.

Well, UCD was heavy in seniors. But since the Big West was not as competitive, if their coaching is good, which I believe it is, they'll be near the top again. I don't see too many other teams in the conference moving to the top other than UCSB and Riverside.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/17/08 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:

Well, I should've given a little more credit to Poly and Pacific, they were able to take out UCR, although in the latter game, UCR was without Seyram, their leading scorer.

If UCR is healthy, they should compete for a title again. Nkele should be back and Brittany Purdom, 6-3 forward from TCU will be eligible.

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/17/08 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

I remember Spencer but she didn't play much at UW.

Thanks for the info on the MN tournament. Someone has been posting on the MU board all year about Jones' stats and I was happy to see she won another state title. Any updates on the recruiting of Tayler Hill? I know Marquette is one of many schools recruiting her.

And speaking of Carolyn Kieger, someone at the Star Tribune might want to update their graphics Smile. There is still a picture of Kieger from her hs playing days on their preps insider graphic and she graduated from college two years ago now. It's in the middle of this page by Live Tournament Updates: http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/

I would not hold my breath on the paper changing the photo of Carolyn on that graphic. Wink

Tayler said in an article last week that she has narrowed her list to seven (plus a few other long shots), but she is not revealing the names (MN is part of the group she is considering).

Doug Bruno was also there on Saturday, but he may have also been checking out a freshman who played in the 3A championship.

On Thursday, I spotted Niele Ivey from ND, Tasha Pointer from Rutgers, an assistant from Pitt (who was not Shea Ralph) taking in one of Tayler's games. Melanie Balcomb was also there, but I did not see her.

Sorry sbjules for keeping this OT. Congrats on the Gauchos win. It's nice to see them back in the tournament.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: