RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

America East Championship - BU (20-11) at Hartford (26-5)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/16/08 1:29 pm    ::: America East Championship - BU (20-11) at Hartford (26-5) Reply Reply with quote

They're meeting in the title game for the third time in four years. Hartford won both of the previous ones and is 3-1 in title games, 3-0 in Hartford (last year's loss was at Binghamton).

BU is in the final for the fifth time in six years. It won the first one over Maine (69-65) for their first and only NCAA berth, then lost the last three to Maine (68-43) and Hartford (52-50 and 75-56). All five of their championship games have been on Hartford's home court.

20 wins was something even the Katie Terhune teams couldn't accomplish (their last 20-win season was in 1987-8Cool, so it's tough to complain about this year regardless of what happens today (though a heartbreaker is really going to %&!@ me off, as it would anybody). I don't expect BU to win today; Hartford remembers last year's loss to UMBC and is playing on its home court. My questions for pilight, BeK, and the others here knowledgable about such things are these:

1. If Hartford wins, isn't the America East guaranteed a WNIT bid anyway?
2. If the America East is still guaranteed a WNIT bid, will it go to BU, which beat Vermont 2-of-3 and reached the title game? Or will it still go to Vermont for finishing second in the regular season and having 23 wins?

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/16/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess the answers to those questions are YES and Vermont.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080316/SPORTS/803160308/1002

Any chance the America East gets two WNIT bids?

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/16/08 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hartford 61, BU 45. Oh well. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Did BU sell its soul to the Devil in 2003 to win that title and the right to get slaughtered by Taurasi & friends?

In all seriousness, congrats to Hartford again. I'm thinking around a #11 or #12 seed, like what they got two years ago. The Virginia and Marist wins were very nice, but their RPI is only in the 50s and their SOS is well outside the top 100. And they have some very bad losses too.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/16/08 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh, maybe next year the Terriers will get over the hump and rule the America East, despite the loss of Raffo and Devine. Burks-Wiley and Umez-Eronini should have good senior years and hopefully Greenburg will bring in some good recruits.

And yes, that '03 NCAA tourney game was painful to watch - as was McKeon's melt down and temper tantrum in the second half.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: