RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big XII Tourney
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/14/08 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Not saying that what Riley does against the Big Twelve isn't impressive on some levels, but the Big Twelve isn't the ACC, SEC, or Big East.

Conference RPI:
Code:
   2007-08    2006-07    2005-06    2004-05    2003-04
1. Big 12     SEC        ACC        ACC        SEC
2. Big East   Big 12     SEC        SEC        Big 12
3. ACC        ACC        Big East   Big Ten    ACC
4. SEC        Big Ten    Big 12     Pac-10     Big Ten
5. Big Ten    Big East   Pac-10     Big 12     Big East
6. Pac-10     Pac-10     Mtn West   Big East   C-USA

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/08 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give Gail a few years, and she will own the Big 12.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/14/08 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Not saying that what Riley does against the Big Twelve isn't impressive on some levels, but the Big Twelve isn't the ACC, SEC, or Big East.

Conference RPI:
Code:
   2007-08    2006-07    2005-06    2004-05    2003-04
1. Big 12     SEC        ACC        ACC        SEC
2. Big East   Big 12     SEC        SEC        Big 12
3. ACC        ACC        Big East   Big Ten    ACC
4. SEC        Big Ten    Big 12     Pac-10     Big Ten
5. Big Ten    Big East   Pac-10     Big 12     Big East
6. Pac-10     Pac-10     Mtn West   Big East   C-USA

Point being?

Of course, the level of athleticism and physicality in the aforementioned leagues are factored into RPI computer numbers, right? Rolling Eyes You're really stretching here with the RPI crap. Players like Riley and Tisdale wouldn't get half the sweetheart calls they get in those better leagues because the players are better in the ACC, the SEC and the Big East.

Watch the Iowa State/Kansas State game again and tell me if you think either team could hack it in one of those better conferences.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/14/08 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I agree. It's not really that hard for her to do as long as she continues to bring in the skilled athletes. She's already got 75% of the league figured out in her FIRST YEAR! This late-season run has been impressive, especially since her Longhorns seem to be peaking at the right time (which is the exact opposite of what last year's Duke team experienced).

Her toughest tests will come from Baylor (who will only get better each year, IMO), but Gail should have this league in a headlock by her third year.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/08 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I agree. It's not really that hard for her to do as long as she continues to bring in the skilled athletes. She's already got 75% of the league figured out in her FIRST YEAR! This late-season run has been impressive, especially since her Longhorns seem to be peaking at the right time (which is the exact opposite of what last year's Duke team experienced).

Her toughest tests will come from Baylor (who will only get better each year, IMO), but Gail should have this league in a headlock by her third year.

She has been able to calm some of Cortijo's wilder tendencies, turn Lindsey into a viable Big 12 post, and get more consistency out of Raven. With a healthy Arriaran, Ashley Gayle, and point guard depth coming in, Texas looks good for next year (top four in the Big 12, top 20-25 nationally). If she pulls in a monster 2009 recruiting class, which I suspect she will, look out.

I certainly feel much better about the long-term viability of Texas than I do about Duke.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/14/08 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm impressed with what she's been able to do with Lindsey and Raven in terms of development (notice how Raven posts up smaller guards on the block now?). Cortijo, of course, still chucks worse than frat boys at a kegger, but she's improving as well. The younger Nash is fabulous as long as she can stay in-bounds. Razz Williams and Cook continue make timely plays.

I like this Texas team, and I think the long-term prospects for Texas will be very, very good.

Mathies to LA 2013
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/14/08 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Point being?

Two-thirds of the SEC and ACC is dreck. Two-thirds of the Big 12 is headed to the NCAA Tournament...

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/08 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Point being?

Two-thirds of the SEC and ACC is dreck. Two-thirds of the Big 12 is headed to the NCAA Tournament...

The B12 is good at gaming the RPI. They always under-perform in the tournament. Wake Forest is quite drecky, but they beat Texas A&M anyway.

PostPosted: 03/14/08 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Point being?

The B12 is good at gaming the RPI. They always under-perform in the tournament. Wake Forest is quite drecky, but they beat Texas A&M anyway.

I agree with pilight. You'd think the committee would catch on eventually, but they haven't so far. Seriously, you could have done very well over the last five or six years picking Big XII teams to lose a round or two earlier than the seed would predict, and that's even with Baylor winning it all in 2005.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 03/14/08 10:33 am    ::: Big 12 Reply Reply with quote

With this year's Big 12 Conference, it is not the top but the depth as 8 teams are worthy of NCAA bids. Yes, A&M lost to Wake but Colorado beat Vanderbilt and Kansas beat Xavier. I suspect no team will make the Elite 8 but let's see the bracket first. A few should make the Sweet 16.

As for Texas, I'm also a buyer long term. Whether Gail will dominate this conference as Duke once did the ACC, I'm not sure but they will be a top flight program. I really like the two sophomores (Cortijo and Raven). Kathleen Nash is a solid freshman. Lindsey is most improved as a junior.

Last edited by BobScoutingReport on 03/15/08 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
tag3

PostPosted: 03/14/08 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Budke will figure in there, too.

If Coach Coale thought this season was tough, she's in for a sad awakening.

bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 03/15/08 10:48 am    ::: Big 12 Future Reply Reply with quote

These head coaches as a group are paid a lot more than all other conferences. Thus there is more pressure on Big 12 coaches to win. I expect the trigger to dismiss may be quicker as well.

At Kansas, Bonnie H. gets good bucks. She has struggled to date after a fine stint at VA Tech. I think the program is about to turn the corner and I hope they will give her more time (at least another year).

As to next year besides the injury factor, more teams look up than down. My guess is Oklahoma one and Texas two prior to late recruits.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/15/08 11:53 am    ::: Re: Big 12 Future Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:

At Kansas, Bonnie H. gets good bucks. She has struggled to date after a fine stint at VA Tech. I think the program is about to turn the corner and I hope they will give her more time (at least another year).

Do you know how much KU is paying her? I saw it once and it seemed to be more than all but Summitt, Auriemma, and Goestenkors. Is it really more than Big 12 programs that actually draw lots of paying customers, like Texas Tech and Iowa State?

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 03/15/08 1:21 pm    ::: Big 12 Coaches Reply Reply with quote

I had guessed maybe $250,000 but heard out here it is closer to $600,000. I was told she was given an extension last spring along with football & men's BB coach. Given last year when Kansas women's team was in the 11-hole (like this year), I figured there would be no reward to the coach. Maybe they have a cheap buy-out clause in the contract. Still this team should have a good year in 2008-2009 so I hope they keep Bonnie H. at least one more year.

We know quite a few coaches in this league make $400,000+.
On the whole, the sport is important at more schools than not in the Big 12. Most want to win as opposed to just have a team which does ok every now and then, and causes no problems (UCLA mentality).

Avg Home Attendance (from Big 12 Media Release):

Baylor - 6275 Big Bucks
Col - 1901 ?? - probably not BB but nice
ISU - 9388 Big Bucks
Kansas - 2852 Big Bucks
K State - 4305 Can she be far from Kansas?
MO - 1296 Place looks empty on tv!
Neb - 3705
OK - 10,254 Big Bucks
OSU - 3376
Texas - 5453 Big Bucks
TX A&M - 3674 Big Bucks
TX Tech - 9308 Coach was lured from Purdue so must pay well.

Avg - 5104

memphis10

PostPosted: 03/15/08 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barn Burner! A & M leading 48-44 w/ 6 left. Riley up and down but nothing worth talking about.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/15/08 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riley is taking over!

This has been a great title game thus far!

PostPosted: 03/15/08 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW! 2 huge mistakes by A&M 58-56 w/ 44 seconds left.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
memphis10

PostPosted: 03/15/08 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DAMN! even though Riley pushed in order to create space.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
memphis10

PostPosted: 03/15/08 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A&M wins!

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/15/08 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDIT: Deleted (double post)

Last edited by dukemayo on 03/15/08 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
FS02

PostPosted: 03/15/08 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, great game Cowgirls.

Congrats to the Aggies!

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/15/08 8:12 pm    ::: Re: Big 12 Coaches Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
I had guessed maybe $250,000 but heard out here it is closer to $600,000. I was told she was given an extension last spring along with football & men's BB coach. Given last year when Kansas women's team was in the 11-hole (like this year), I figured there would be no reward to the coach. Maybe they have a cheap buy-out clause in the contract. Still this team should have a good year in 2008-2009 so I hope they keep Bonnie H. at least one more year.

We know quite a few coaches in this league make $400,000+.
On the whole, the sport is important at more schools than not in the Big 12. Most want to win as opposed to just have a team which does ok every now and then, and causes no problems (UCLA mentality).

Avg Home Attendance (from Big 12 Media Release):

Baylor - 6275 Big Bucks
Col - 1901 ?? - probably not BB but nice
ISU - 9388 Big Bucks
Kansas - 2852 Big Bucks
K State - 4305 Can she be far from Kansas?
MO - 1296 Place looks empty on tv!
Neb - 3705
OK - 10,254 Big Bucks
OSU - 3376
Texas - 5453 Big Bucks
TX A&M - 3674 Big Bucks
TX Tech - 9308 Coach was lured from Purdue so must pay well.

Avg - 5104

Thanks for the information.

I've harbored the thought that one of the reasons Gail Goestenkors left Duke was that attendance had apparently plateaued despite her best efforts. Not the biggest reason or two or three, but somewhere in her thought process.

Our average attendance for last year's undefeated regular season was 5,852. Then we got 1st and 2nd round games at the RBC Center in Raleigh, a quick 25-minute drive from Durham, and then the Greensboro regional, a mere 55 miles away. Not that many Duke fans made those trips--maybe 2000, 3000 tops, and hardly any students. In fairness, I think the 1st and 2nd rounds occurred during spring break, but still it looks like it'll be difficult to break 6,000 at home unless we win a national championship or two. (We're still way better than Carolina or State, let me be clear, and 5-6,000 can make Cameron mighty loud.)

PS I would've been watching the game instead of writing this if the game had been on Fox South as advertised!

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/15/08 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw this game and was impressed with both teams, especially A&M who buckled down that last minute with defensive stops. Kudos to T. Starks for playing such great defense on Riley. A'quonesia had such great poise. Definitely A&M deserves a no. 2 seed in the tourney.

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 03/16/08 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Helluva ballgame between these two teams A-GAIN!! Riley is incredible, I absolutely figured that shot she just flipped up to go in down the stretch since everything else she was tossing up was. Fabulous game, congrats to A&M and to OKSU as well.

And thanks Kurt, that jacket was awesome too....

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 03/16/08 8:31 pm    ::: Coach G Reply Reply with quote

I think Coach G left Duke for several reasons, probably greatest of which is the committment of Texas to playing for national titles in sports of both genders. The court at Duke is named after the men's coach, enough said.

She is making megabucks by women's standards. She was making much less at Duke. If Duke countered to match UT's offer, it was probably done (too) late in the process. At UT, she can recruit a wider spectrum of athletes and probably has a better shot at winning it all.

As far as dominating the league, WBB is important in the B12 and a lot of schools pay top dollar to their coaches and demand success. So it may not be easy to win every year, like say 5 in a row. Compared to most BCS conferences, the Big 12 draws fans. Unfortunately, like almost all college WBB programs, their fans don't travel. Iowa State might be the greatest exception, but even there it is less than 2000. There is only one Tennessee when it comes to fans following their team away from home as in last year's SEC Tournament in Georgia, one hour from Athens but a Sea of Orange.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: