RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Smith out at Alabama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/11/08 7:09 pm    ::: Smith out at Alabama Reply Reply with quote

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37473&SPID=3034&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=1410122

PostPosted: 03/11/08 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if they'll make another run at Dawn Staley.

I thought Smith would do better. She was successful at Middle Tennessee.

PostPosted: 03/14/08 1:19 am    ::: Alabama Opening Reply Reply with quote

They need to look seriously at Wes Moore of UTC.

wbbjunkie

PostPosted: 03/15/08 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm at a complete loss for words...

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20080314/TS10/736407232

UA names Wendell Hudson new women's basketball coach Shocked

By Cecil Hurt
Sports Editor

University of Alabama names Wendell Hudson as the new women's basketball coach. Hudson will replace Stephany Smith, who was fired earlier this week.

Hudson currently serves as an Associate Athletic Director at UA, but has prior coaching experience.

"I don't think you ever really get out of coaching," Hudson said at the Georgia Dome on Friday night. "It's something I wanted to do. I'm looking forward to meeting the girls and getting started on recruiting."

More details in tomorrow's Tuscaloosa News.

BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 03/15/08 11:13 am    ::: Hudson Hire Reply Reply with quote

Good Coach - maybe

Inexpensive - probably

Demanding - probably not

Women's hoops are not important in Tide Country. Football, spring football and football recruiting reign supreme. There are a large group of football recruiting junkies in the Deep South who agonize over whether their schools get the 4 & 5 star recruits.

Now that Smith is history at UA, I will post the following almost unbelievable little story. I can't say more than I believe it. It was not appropriate to post while Smith was still coaching there as it might have somehow adversely affected a source to post it.

Nick Sabin brings a football recruit into the court where the women are practicing. He is just sitting there with the recruit. Smith comes over to Sabin. When I heard this, I guessed to thank him for stopping in. But no! She asks him to leave telling him something to the effect "I don't attend your practices. I would appreciate it if you don't attend mine." Now if you are a coaching icon at the school, fine. But when you are at the bottom at UA, the last person other than your immediate supervisor to piss off is the head football coach. Given that, it is less surprising that more time was not given her with a team that should be improved next year. The team was mostly first and second year players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: