RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke/UVA fans - China Crosby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 03/13/08 8:57 am    ::: Duke/UVA fans - China Crosby Reply Reply with quote

Excuse me as I indulge in my alma mater finally getting back to MSG. Yes, that would be Manhattan Center, the last girls basketball team to win a PSAL title before Bergtraum's ridiculous 9 year run.

Anyway, Crosby fans, your girl looked great last night in the PSAL semifinals. Jefferson (and shotty refs) got her into foul trouble early on but didn't take advantage thanks to some great game management by Manhattan Center's coach Jaywana Bradley (who I think may just be top 5 in the city). MCSM probably had the toughest road to the finals having to beat the 2nd and 3rd seeds to get there.

China has definitely matured in her ability to play big in big games. She's playing smarter, more aggressive and more confident. She's playing like she's one of the top guards in the country instead of playing like she's one of the top guards in the PSAL. That's what separated the players like Piph from everyone else. Bramble had a good game, but China basically put MCSM on her back and carried them to MSG. Jefferson had every opportunity to win it, but when a 5'6 kid is stealing inbounds passes and elevating amongst the trees for 270 degree twisting layups for the and 1, you shake her hand and prepare for next year.

It was nice to see former Liberty assistant coach Jeff House in the building. He was repping UVA among coaches from Temple, George Washington, and a few other squads. I don't know who the rest of them were there to recruit, but they all seemed in awe at the Crosby Show. Cam, bballfan2005 and other Duke people - what's good? UVA seems to think they still have a great chance at getting Crosby in Charlottesville.
RainDevil

PostPosted: 03/13/08 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may come down to playing time. Duke will have three PG/combo guards in the fold before China gets there: Jasmine Thomas, Shay Selby, and Chelsea Hopkins. I know Duke is recruiting Crosby hard, so they must (I hope) have a plan.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 03/13/08 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03132008/sports/manhattan_center_eyes_bergtraum_101690.htm

Quote:
"I keep pointing to the two banners we have in our gym," Bradley said of the years the Lady Rams won it all in '95 and 1998. "It's time to add a third."

To do that, they will have to go through a Bergtraum team that has become very comfortable at MSG. In fact, Manhattan Center is the last school to have won the city title other than the Lady Blazers, who are gunning for their 10th straight championship.

"We're not going to be scared of them," Bradley said.

One reason they won't be is China Crosby.

The dynamic junior was sensational, scoring 26 points and just as importantly, dictating the play, as Manhattan Center built a seemingly comfortable 11-point, second-half lead.
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/13/08 1:16 pm    ::: Re: Duke/UVA fans - China Crosby Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Cam, bballfan2005 and other Duke people - what's good? UVA seems to think they still have a great chance at getting Crosby in Charlottesville.

Depending on who else UVA picks up in 2009, I think the Hoos have a great shot at Crosby. Like RD said, playing time might be a factor in her decision re Duke v. UVA (even though she could probably beat out any of the guards Duke has/will have), but of greater importance will be China's ability to determine which program has more momentum heading into the future. The ACC is getting weaker at the top outside of UNC, so it'll be interesting to see who takes over heading into the new decade.

If Gail was still at Duke, then I'm not sure UVA would have as good a chance. However, if I'm China, I'm seeing Jasmine Thomas struggle to develop a relationship with Joanne McCallie while listening to Debbie Ryan speak favorably about Sharnee Zoll at every waking opportunity. And who wouldn't want to throw alley-oops to Monica Wright? Wink

Just sayin'.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/13/08 1:34 pm    ::: Re: Duke/UVA fans - China Crosby Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Depending on who else UVA picks up in 2009, I think the Hoos have a great shot at Crosby. Like RD said, playing time might be a factor in her decision re Duke v. UVA (even though she could probably beat out any of the guards Duke has/will have), but of greater importance will be China's ability to determine which program has more momentum heading into the future. The ACC is getting weaker at the top outside of UNC, so it'll be interesting to see who takes over heading into the new decade.

If Gail was still at Duke, then I'm not sure UVA would have as good a chance. However, if I'm China, I'm seeing Jasmine Thomas struggle to develop a relationship with Joanne McCallie while listening to Debbie Ryan speak favorably about Sharnee Zoll at every waking opportunity. And who wouldn't want to throw alley-oops to Monica Wright? Wink

Gail would have developed Crosby. Look at Harding's improvement over four (well, five years). Jasmine Thomas looks lost right now. Thomas' game is not well suited to a slow, methodical, halfcourt style (Big Ten) of offense. But rather than adjust to the personnel, McCallie is making the personnel adjust to her. The result? More regular season losses this year than in any year since 1996-1997. Duke has lost 9 games this year...Duke lost a total of 11 games in the past three years COMBINED.

Debbie Ryan has a chance to surround Crosby with top players. Gail OWNED the MD/VA/DC area for several years, with a few exceptions (Monica Wright, Marissa Coleman). This is Ryan's chance...this is UVA's chance to return to being a perennial Final Four contender.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 03/13/08 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Just sayin'.

I think UVA makes much more sense. I just didn't think they had a shot at her 3 weeks ago. Granted, Duke has a higher national profile and more tv time, but what good is being on tv if you're in your warm ups on the bench? I think she can beat out Duke's other prospects, but I don't put that much stock in the judgement of college coaches. Laughing In addition to not being able to see her going to a team where playing time would be a question, I can't see her going somewhere where she wouldn't have a good relationship with her coach (which was why I thought Penn State and Co Wash had a good shot). Obviously college is more of a dog eat dog world than high school and I'm not about to catch a case of OGS, but I don't think it's any question who any of us would give the nod to in player relations between McCallie and Ryan. Hell, McCallie may have a problem beating the '05 version of Larry Brown in that category.

Given the right situation where she's able to continue to develop her game, I think she could be a great player. I don't say it about many high school players, especially girls, because with most of them, if their name is in the local paper a certain amount of times, they think they've arrived and no longer have to do anything. The fact that the WNBA drafts (and fans jockride) based on name, hype and program first, talent, development and work ethic last, doesn't help matters. But with China, there seems to be a strong desire to continue to get better regardless. It's refreshing. She's got that Piph, Charles, Dixon demeanor that a lot of kids in this area and kids in general don't have.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/13/08 11:25 pm    ::: Re: Duke/UVA fans - China Crosby Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Gail would have developed Crosby. Look at Harding's improvement over four (well, five years). Jasmine Thomas looks lost right now. Thomas' game is not well suited to a slow, methodical, halfcourt style (Big Ten) of offense. But rather than adjust to the personnel, McCallie is making the personnel adjust to her. The result? More regular season losses this year than in any year since 1996-1997. Duke has lost 9 games this year...Duke lost a total of 11 games in the past three years COMBINED.

Debbie Ryan has a chance to surround Crosby with top players. Gail OWNED the MD/VA/DC area for several years, with a few exceptions (Monica Wright, Marissa Coleman). This is Ryan's chance...this is UVA's chance to return to being a perennial Final Four contender.

What Cam says.

After watching Jasmine this year at Duke, why in the world would another quick as lightening point guard ever even consider playing here? During Duke's game with Virginia, I was watching with some guys who watch a lot of college, NBA, but not much women. During the first half when they played McCallie's tractor offense exclusively, they were like "where's the talent?". In the second half, Jasmine finally left the tractor in the field where it belongs and these guys were like "OMG - that women's QUICK and GOOD, wtf is that coach doing?

And until Duke acquires a post layer from the 09 class that's fit for the ACC, if I'm a guard, I'm saying "we gonna have a 4 guard offense?" So far, it's a big fat zero. No post player in the top 100 has even got Duke on their list.

~rAf
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/08 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this stage in her career, how does Crosby compare to The Kaz?

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 03/14/08 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
At this stage in her career, how does Crosby compare to The Kaz?

Kaz was a better scorer, better passer in terms of flash, more aggressive and a better shooter. Crosby's more athletic, better passer in terms of reading defenses, less of a headcase, a better defender when she wants to be, quicker and a better change of pace guard. One on one, offensively, I'd take Kaz for her ability to score on anyone. Running a team, I'd take Crosby. Or I'd just take Sammy P over both of them. Laughing
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/14/08 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Or I'd just take Sammy P over both of them. Laughing

How would you compare Crosby and Prahalis in terms of upside?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: