RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ohio State at Indiana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/25/08 9:26 pm    ::: Ohio State at Indiana Reply Reply with quote

Indiana pulls off the upset winning 69-61 in overtime.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/25/08 9:56 pm    ::: B10 Mess Reply Reply with quote

Leaving three teams with 11 B10 wins and four teams with 9. My head is hurting with all of the tie-breaker scenarios!

Shades

PostPosted: 02/26/08 12:55 am    ::: Re: Ohio State at Indiana Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Indiana pulls off the upset winning 69-61 in overtime.

Gulp! The Gophers have to play Indiana next.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 02/26/08 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps Indiana is Jacked up at the right time!

OK, I am biased. I would like to see a all Hoosier final at the tournament!

PostPosted: 02/26/08 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/27/08 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Statement From Officiating Consortium On Ohio State-Indiana Women's Basketball Game
By the Women’s Basketball Officiating Consortium: February 27, 2008

http://www.spmsportspage.com/published/pr/statement-from-officiatin.shtml

BBFan23

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Foster and his staff must really be alert cookies to miss this one! Shocked

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 02/27/08 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBFan23 wrote:

From what I heard, the FT should have counted, and if anything IU should have had another FT. (unless it was a bonus, I'm not sure) But I need to check on what I heard. Because I was told there was a lane violation on an IU player, but IU was at the line. So if I'm shooting a FT and my own teammate commits a lane violation but my shot goes in, doesn't it count?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/27/08 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
BBFan23 wrote:

From what I heard, the FT should have counted, and if anything IU should have had another FT. (unless it was a bonus, I'm not sure) But I need to check on what I heard. Because I was told there was a lane violation on an IU player, but IU was at the line. So if I'm shooting a FT and my own teammate commits a lane violation but my shot goes in, doesn't it count?

Nuh-uh. Your make is nullified if your teammate fucks up. That actually happened last night at St. John's: Tiina Sten was out of position when Monique McLean went to take the first of two, and the shot was nullified before she could even put it up. I think the rule of thumb is that if it's a fuck-up by the other team, it has to be called in your favor, so that a miss is retaken and a make is counted; if it's a fuck-up by your team, it has to be called in the other team's favor, so that a miss is counted and a make is nullified.

So many uses of the word nullified. Apparently I'm channeling my inner James Madison.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
BBFan23 wrote:

Nuh-uh. Your make is nullified if your teammate fucks up. That actually happened last night at St. John's: Tiina Sten was out of position when Monique McLean went to take the first of two, and the shot was nullified before she could even put it up. I think the rule of thumb is that if it's a fuck-up by the other team, it has to be called in your favor, so that a miss is retaken and a make is counted; if it's a fuck-up by your team, it has to be called in the other team's favor, so that a miss is counted and a make is nullified.

So many uses of the word nullified. Apparently I'm channeling my inner James Madison.

so you're saying the refs at St John's had it right? Wink
seriously, i guess i need to find the rule book. so much stuff I don't know ...

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 02/28/08 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoosier Win Clouded by Controversy
By Josh Olmsted: SPM IND Writer: Feb. 28, 2008

On Monday night the Indiana Hoosiers defeated the #20 Ohio State Buckeyes in overtime 69-61. The game did not end without controversy, however. Late in the 2nd half with the Hoosiers down 52-51, Indiana junior forward Whitney Thomas stepped to the free throw line for a one-and-one. She sank the first free throw, but Indiana junior guard Kim Roberson was called for a lane violation...

BBFan23

PostPosted: 02/28/08 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should not have counted. Pee wee coaches would have caught this error at any point of a game. It was at a critical moment and no one noticed!

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 02/28/08 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand why the NCAA and conferences have rules that prohibit them from correcting fixable scorekeeping errors after the game.

It seems inherently unfair to say that they arbitrarily CANNOT fix errors that they acknowledge to be errors. Give Ohio State the point, say, whoops, you actually won in regulation, and give them the win. What's the big deal!?

Humans are not perfect, we make mistakes. Why not acknowledge it and fix it? Acknowledging the mistake and NOT fixing it is almost worse than not acknowledging it at all. You end up looking at least as bad either way.

Can someone tell me why they have these rules?

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 02/28/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:

It seems inherently unfair to say that they arbitrarily CANNOT fix errors that they acknowledge to be errors. Give Ohio State the point, say, whoops, you actually won in regulation, and give them the win. What's the big deal!?

I guess the rough part about this situation was the amount of time left to play. Unlike rulings coming in the final second of the game, the score would have impacted offensive/defensive strategy on both sides for the final 2+ minutes.

It's one thing to waive off a victory when clearly a final attempt shouldn't even have counted (Tenn/Rutgers), but when an error like this occurs with a sizeable amount of time left on the clock, it's impact would be much greater.

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
LadyDevilFan wrote:

I guess the rough part about this situation was the amount of time left to play. Unlike rulings coming in the final second of the game, the score would have impacted offensive/defensive strategy on both sides for the final 2+ minutes.

It's one thing to waive off a victory when clearly a final attempt shouldn't even have counted (Tenn/Rutgers), but when an error like this occurs with a sizeable amount of time left on the clock, it's impact would be much greater.

Oh, I guess that complicates things. The way it was presented to me was that Ohio State was not given a point which would have given them a win in regulation instead of having to go to OT. If there were 2 more minutes to play though, you're absolutely right that it would have affected the strategy for the rest of the game. But I still think it's unfair -- it just makes the strategy of correcting it trickier. But surely there is SOMEthing they could do other than put their head in the sand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: