RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Erika Arriaran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tennis2

PostPosted: 02/03/08 9:35 pm    ::: Erika Arriaran Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know what her status is? Is she injured? I noticed she did not play against Oklahoma and looked back at another game and saw she had not played.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/03/08 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't she mess up her knee or something? I think I remember lamenting the fact that something bad happened to her and she couldn't play for a long time.

BBLady

PostPosted: 02/03/08 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She blew out her ACL last year - had surgery - was rehabbing well. She was practicing at the beginning of this year, not 100%, but looked good. Then she began to have some pain and swelling and had to have the knee scoped in December. The official word is that her return in undetermined, but I think it is pretty clear that she will redshirt this year as she is not even practicing with the team.

giraffespots

PostPosted: 02/04/08 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word on Big 12 boards is that she injured an MCL during a preseason practice and had surgery in November. She could have come back by now, but not at 100% so she will be redshirting this season.

PostPosted: 02/04/08 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of surprising that Arriaran + to an extent A. Waner have had really lackluster careers so far--whether it be because of injuries or a stifling coach.
Weren't they ranked pretty high together?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/04/08 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
It's kind of surprising that Arriaran + to an extent A. Waner have had really lackluster careers so far--whether it be because of injuries or a stifling coach.

Abby had two great years. To say her career has been lackluster is to ignore the fact she was Second Team All-ACC last year.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/04/08 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Abby had two great years. To say her career has been lackluster is to ignore the fact she was Second Team All-ACC last year.

I don't think she had a great year as a freshman (she was outplayed by Marissa Coleman for ACC ROY despite being the preseason pick, and some unheralded freshmen in the ACC had strong years--especially Deirdre Naughton). While it's true that she won second team All-ACC last year, so did Coleman and Lyndra Littles. Now, both players are well ahead of her at this point in their careers.

Basically, Waner hasn't separated herself from the field in the way that she did in high school (when she lit up the scoreboard and was named HSPOY). She's not the All-American that most expected her to be at this point, and I'm not sure if she'll ever get to that point. We'll see. It's not like she won't have the hype necessary to compete for AA.

Mathies to LA 2013
spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 02/04/08 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
spikeybedhead wrote:

I guess it's more along the lines of expectations. I followed UConn a bit, and they were downright distraught when Waner + Arriaran decided on Duke + Texas. Four or five years ago, if given a choice between Waner + Arriaran and Swanier + Greene + Montgomery---I'm sure most people would've picked the former---hands down. Not so much nowadays.

Quote:
Basically, Waner hasn't separated herself from the field in the way that she did in high school (when she lit up the scoreboard and was named HSPOY). She's not the All-American that most expected her to be at this point, and I'm not sure if she'll ever get to that point. We'll see. It's not like she won't have the hype necessary to compete for AA.

I'm a big fan and want Waner to get to that point. I guess I'm just a little bummed because I don't think JPM is the coach to get her there. Confused

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/04/08 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
I'm a big fan and want Waner to get to that point. I guess I'm just a little bummed because I don't think JPM is the coach to get her there. Confused

I agree. McCallie isn't the right coach for her because of the inside-out mentality that she (McCallie) incorporated this season. While watching the Virginia Tech/Duke game last Friday, an interesting comment was made regarding Waner's regression. The color commentator basically said that McCallie doesn't run many plays for Waner, which is why she's regressing. To me, that (not getting Abby easy shots early on) was one of the biggest mistakes of the season. Abby has always been a streaky shooter who's really more of a scorer. I repeat: Abby is NOT a shooter--she's a scorer. Rather than allow Abby to leak out in transition, McCallie has pretty much put the clamp down on Waner's ability to generate easy offense. That's part of the reason why Waner makes such stupid mistakes (e.g. ticky tack fouls) during the course of a game. She's doing anything she possibly can to get herself going. She shoots 30% from three because she knows that the next play is going to Chante Black--whether she hits or not.

I'd like to see more backdoor cuts run for Abby and/or alley-oops (assuming she can convert them). She's an energy kid, and energy kids need to do more than just distribute the ball to the post in the halfcourt.

Mathies to LA 2013
spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 02/04/08 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I repeat: Abby is NOT a shooter--she's a scorer. Rather than allow Abby to leak out in transition, McCallie has pretty much put the clamp down on Waner's ability to generate easy offense. That's part of the reason why Waner makes such stupid mistakes (e.g. ticky tack fouls) during the course of a game. She's doing anything she possibly can to get herself going. She shoots 30% from three because she knows that the next play is going to Chante Black--whether she hits or not.

I really think that if you stuck Abby with a coach like Frese and J. Thomas on Hatchell's shortbus method to madness...you'd see them both shoot up on those All-league lists. It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens to Selby.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/04/08 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
McCallie isn't the right coach for her because of the inside-out mentality that she (McCallie) incorporated this season.
I'd like to see more backdoor cuts run for Abby and/or alley-oops (assuming she can convert them). She's an energy kid, and energy kids need to do more than just distribute the ball to the post in the halfcourt.

The other problem is the inside-out mentality means post players on the inside...and post players only.

Under Gail, Duke manufactured a lot of points in the paint last year, but it wasn't always from the post players...in fact, most of it was from the guards, using Alison Bales at the high post and running backdoor cuts or the give-and-go...or bounce pass backdoor cuts from Harding to Smith...or other things like that.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/04/08 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
The other problem is the inside-out mentality means post players on the inside...and post players only.

Under Gail, Duke manufactured a lot of points in the paint last year, but it wasn't always from the post players...in fact, most of it was from the guards, using Alison Bales at the high post and running backdoor cuts or the give-and-go...or bounce pass backdoor cuts from Harding to Smith...or other things like that.

I agree. Instead of taking advantage of scoring opportunities for our wings, we're force-feeding the ball into Chante and hoping that she will wear down overmatched teams. That works for folks like Georgia Tech, FSU, and Virginia Tech. Won't happen against the better teams in the league.

Unless we discover the importance of guards scoring in the paint, I have Duke at a stable #4 in the ACC. At least it's a first round bye in the ACCT.

Mathies to LA 2013
RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/04/08 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abby Waner - Don't know how much better she could have played her first two years than she did. Of course, she had the dominating PG and C combination. This year is still a puzzle. Don't think any coach can make you shoot bad. Play bad? Yes.

EriKa Arriaran - 5'10 Guard, Norco CA, she and Abby were considered the top two high school players of year, so they say. Too bad Erika has been hurt because Texas could use her shooting ability. Could have eked out a couple more wins with her on board but still not make Texas a Top 10 team. Not sure she'll see any action the remainder of this year.

Duke - I'd have to give them the number 3 seed in the ACC. Believe they are going to need the old Abby and the emergence of Thomas (post) for them to pull off a NY Giant upset.

JMO. YMMV.

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 02/04/08 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Abby Waner - Don't know how much better she could have played her first two years than she did. Of course, she had the dominating PG and C combination. This year is still a puzzle. Don't think any coach can make you shoot bad. Play bad? Yes.

Don't think I agree. Sorry.

Mike Bibby with the Sparks (circa 2005) found a way to have Leslie shoot 44% from the field and 20% from three to a measly (by LLL standards) 15.2 ppg.

She hasn't always been a high % shooter, but in 2004 she was shooting at a 49% clip and 51% in 2006.

You can definitely affect your players with the system you're installing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: