RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee @ Duke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/31/08 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exquisite wrote:
My how things have changed.Now your BASHING Duke players,huh?.Last season you put them on a pedestal.

Again, who are you? Yet another jealous non-Duke alum? I have no clue who you are, but apparently you have been tracing my posts (which is beyond weird). Anyhoo, you're dead wrong about my "putting Duke players on a pedestal". I don't do that. I've always criticized Duke players like I would if they didn't play for Duke--especially if their games weren't on point.

You might want to start putting your GED to better use from here on out. Messing around with me is a "no no".

Mathies to LA 2013
Exquisite

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Exquisite wrote:
It's me.Your 4th grade math teacher that made you EAT CHALK.

Again, are you a parody poster or something? I have no clue who you are or why you're pretending to know who I am. Are you some kind of message board stalker? If so, please stop. I'm not up for the weird shit.

No one stalks A NOBODY.

Last edited by Exquisite on 01/31/08 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow!

Hard to believe and very disappointing that anyone with an above average IQ could and did actually state and mean that both Abby Waner, (who was the high school player of the year in her senior year, play on a team that almost won the NCAA Championship) and Coach P (who took a very good but not great MSU team to the Final Four, coached USA basketball medal winners and is known throughout the world as a premiere womens basketball coach) have low basketball IQs.

It was an INCREDIBLY STUPID AND DEMEANING statement.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exquisite wrote:
Nobody stalks A NOBODY.

Um, whatever buddy. You're clearly stalking me. I don't know who you are or where you came from yet you're acting as though the two of us have actually had discussions in the past.

Weird.

Mathies to LA 2013
Exquisite

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have....IDIOT!!!.

Exquisite

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Wow!

Hard to believe and very disappointing that anyone with an above average IQ could and did actually state and mean that both Abby Waner, (who was the high school player of the year in her senior year, play on a team that almost won the NCAA Championship) and Coach P (who took a very good but not great MSU team to the Final Four, coached USA basketball medal winners and is known throughout the world as a premiere womens basketball coach) have low basketball IQs.

Thank you.Bballfan2005 thinks he/she knows EVERYTHING.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/31/08 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Wow!

What do past accolades have to do with basketball IQ?

Regardless of what Abby Waner achieved in the past, the fact remains that she makes mistakes that a junior-level basketball player should not make. Mistakes that are constantly repeated become habits, and it has become habitual for Abby to make boneheaded decisions. You cannot shoot the ball from 30 feet if you're only a 28% three-point shooter--especially not 10 seconds into the shot clock. You can't throw a no-look pass on the fast break to post players--no matter how much you want to gain style points or pump up your team. You cannot allow yourself to get caught up in the emotions of the game to the point that you accumulate ticky-tack fouls. Abby knows this, yet she continues to pull the SOS. That's why she's a dumb player, IMO. I don't care if it's disrespectful to her or rubs you the wrong way. I call it how I see it.

As for McCallie, how can you explain the blowouts her team suffered last season at Maryland? Perhaps some in-game adjustments (i.e. ditching the match-up zone that the Terps easily shredded) would've been in order. What about the unwillingness to press a team that's short on ballhandlers--and the ballhandlers they have cannot operate under pressure? How do you explain that? What about Duke's lack of offensive effectiveness? Are you excusing her for not incorporating more screens and ball movement in the offense just because she coached a few junior national teams to gold medals? What about her relationship with the refs? Why is it that she complains about the lack of favorable calls for Duke without realizing that the refs don't make calls to coaches who sit on their hands all game? Have you ever listened to her press conferences? Do you get the sense that she knows what she's talking about? I don't. I get the sense that she's way in over her head and everyone knows it. She simply reads off a box score and bases her thoughts/observations on what's written on a piece of paper. Hell, there are folks on here who can do that yet they aren't pulling in anywhere near $600,000+/year.

Now, I've given my reasons why I believe Abby and her coach are of the low bball IQ variety. Who's going to step up to the plate with ample reasons to refute what I've said?

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/31/08 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exquisite wrote:
We have....IDIOT!!!.

To demonstrate the hypocrisy here, I'm willing to bet that this character will be given every chance to call me out of name without receiving any form of reprehension. If only we were all so lucky...

Mathies to LA 2013
RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/01/08 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005:

People make mistakes in heat of battle and in split second instances: they're not perfect. Teams lose and sometimes get blown out, its the nature of the game. It happens. Doesn't necessarily mean the coaches and players have a low basketball IQ.

Last time I watched a game, no coaches made a pass or scored a point.

C. Vivian Stringer coached and lost some games this year that Rutgers probably shouldn't have lost. Do you think she has a low basketball IQ too? You might disagree with the way she coaches, but she's no dummy.

Duke, IMO, was the best team last year, but they didn't win the National Title. They also lost the National title game to, at that time, a less experienced Maryland team. Was it because GG had a low basketball IQ?

You surely must realize and understand, these are the best basketball players in the world that play on the elite college teams and in the WNBA. I'd have to question if you ever played on your varsity HS or college team or for that matter ever really played the game.

From being on this board, I know you are well versed in and understand basketball, the teams, players and coaches very well. Why you feel the need to show your ignorance by constantly rudely attacking and putting others down befuddles me, when all you have to do be less defensive and tolerant with those who disagree with you and simply show your intelligence.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 02/01/08 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched this game yesterday on my dvr...the LV's made so many big three pointers to keep them in the game in the first half.

Duke could have easilly had a 8-10 point lead in the first half, but the LV's just kept making them.

You could tell the LV's were a little intimidated by the crowd, but like I said they made some key threes which kept them in it. Then in the second half then went on a couple of runs.

Whats with Waner and her no-look passes AFTER she dishes it? Arent you supposed to do the lookaway before? lol Shocked

Candace's shot at the end was really tough....tough angle, you gotta put the perfect spin on it or itll be long. She missed some easy ones, but made the one that really counted....Im not a LV fan in the slightest, but thats POY material Embarassed

Lastly, how about those LV fans who sat in the Cameron Crazy section? Shocked They must have had a rough night even though their team won.

PostPosted: 02/01/08 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Regardless of what Abby Waner achieved in the past, the fact remains that she makes mistakes that a junior-level basketball player should not make. Mistakes that are constantly repeated become habits, and it has become habitual for Abby to make boneheaded decisions. You cannot shoot the ball from 30 feet if you're only a 28% three-point shooter--especially not 10 seconds into the shot clock. You can't throw a no-look pass on the fast break to post players--no matter how much you want to gain style points or pump up your team. You cannot allow yourself to get caught up in the emotions of the game to the point that you accumulate ticky-tack fouls. Abby knows this, yet she continues to pull the SOS. That's why she's a dumb player, IMO. I don't care if it's disrespectful to her or rubs you the wrong way. I call it how I see it.

Now, I've given my reasons why I believe Abby and her coach are of the low bball IQ variety. Who's going to step up to the plate with ample reasons to refute what I've said?

I'm quoting only the Abby part because that's all I can deal with at the moment.

But first I want to say that as far as I can recall bballfan2005 has always been an equal opportunity critic, not a Duke homer. A recent example, made on the Duke board if not here, was pretty much panning Lindsey Harding as a point guard.

I also want to say, bballfan, that you draw a lot of purely personal jibes for your provocative ideas and the style with which you deliver them. My admittedly unsolicited advice is don't waste time and energy on the personal stuff. Everyone can see they're not substantive--sort of fabricated "gotcha" stuff (like alleging, with no evidence, that you used to only praise Duke players and now...da-daa, da-daa).

Anyway, I found the Lindsey Harding critique persuasive. And I agree that Abby Waner makes glaring errors at times.

But I see her as having a pretty high basketball IQ because she reads the court well on both offense and defense and usually makes an appropriate move. Good perception and trying to make the right "good idea" play are evidence of a good basketball IQ to me.

I think the issue of passing to a post on the fastbreak isn't no-look vs. look, but whether the pass is delivered at the right point. Chante Black, Carrem Gay, and Joy Cheek have played with Abby long enough to know they have to be ready for a pass from her whether she's looking at them or not. If she delivers to them too soon and they have to dribble, that would be low-IQ. But I don't recall a pattern of that. She tries to hit them when they're one stride from the basket. They have to be ready.

Her shooting's messed up right now. But I don't think the issue is when she shoots--early in the shot clock or late--or even how far out, as whether she's set when she does shoot.

Picking up ticky-tack fouls attempting to steal the ball--yes, definitely a low-IQ moment when she does that out of frustration. And also if she grossly misreads the opportunity for a steal. But I can live with a couple near-steals a game that result in fouls. But again, agreed, to allow for the aggressive fouls, you can't commit even one of the impulsive kind a game.

The hard evidence of the high-IQ things she does is in the stats: More assists [58] than turnovers [43] and team leader in steals [41] despite missing four games.

Link to current Duke stats: http://www.goduke.com//pdf5/106639.pdf

lobsterdevil

PostPosted: 02/01/08 8:56 am    ::: DWHoops Photo Gallery of Tennessee at Duke Reply Reply with quote

Here's a link to the DWHoops coverage of the game, click on "Gallery" for a 200+ photo gallery of photos of the game, captioned including time and score.

http://www.dwhoops.com/0708/20/

Orin
http://www.DWHoops.com

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 02/01/08 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exquisite wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Exquisite wrote:

Again, are you a parody poster or something? I have no clue who you are or why you're pretending to know who I am. Are you some kind of message board stalker? If so, please stop. I'm not up for the weird shit.

No one stalks A NOBODY.

Exquisite, I am very confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Please get back to basketball. Thanks.

PostPosted: 02/01/08 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

What do past accolades have to do with basketball IQ?

Past accolades are only previous indications of basketball IQ. To live in the now, I think it's worth while to see the decision making that Waner has made in recent history under the new regime - without Harding by her side.

I think that in the last game, Abby showed a solid restraint in terms of not forcing too many shots throughout the game. The problem is that in the waning moments, she left the style that was keeping Duke competitive for 38 minutes, and reverted back to a gunning style that has provided minimal benefit this season.

I will not fault Waner for the passing, as I think she needs to sustain the level of play in that area with her teammates as the ones who need to catch up. I will fault her however for not simplifying some of her passes in situations where I think she is overplaying.

That leads me to what I can't fault Waner for and that is effort. She is certainly battling and fighting for wins. I think you can see the determination in her face. Unfortunately, I don't think she knows her role on this team yet, and I think the scoring load needs to be passed on to J. Thomas a bit more with Waner focusing on becoming a smarter decision maker and honestly a back-to-the-basics sort of ball handler.

I don't think Waner has a low basketball IQ to be certain, but what I do think is that she is pressing, and exhibiting signs of low basketball IQ because of it. I do believe the know-how is there, and that she - and fans - need to put the responsibility on her, not necessarily the coach, for her actions on the court. The dumb fouls have no excuse as she clearly isn't appreciating her value to the team. She is going for too many steals and trying to save the day for Duke all in one play - over and over and over. It's time for Abby to settle down into a role, one of a playmaker in the open court and a feeder in the half court, but she needs to dumb down some of the things she is trying to do, knowing when to go for the big show - and that isn't until Duke gets over the hump and wins some of these big games.

PostPosted: 02/01/08 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Exquisite wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Exquisite wrote:

No one stalks A NOBODY.

Exquisite, I am very confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Please get back to basketball. Thanks.

Oh let me guess.You & Bballfan2005 have the same biophysics class.Yawn.Mind your business.....LOSER!!!!

Exquisite

PostPosted: 02/01/08 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure alot of people on here besides myself are tired of the fake,self absorbed windbags that post 7,000 word responses & bash virtually every player that has a key turnover or something in a loss.STOP HATING!!!!.

shizanna

PostPosted: 02/01/08 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm...eyevolley would be one of the moderators on this board.

And therefore these creepy messages to bballfan2005 are very much her business.

PostPosted: 02/01/08 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exquisite wrote:
I'm pretty sure alot of people on here besides myself are tired of the fake,self absorbed windbags that post 7,000 word responses & bash virtually every player that has a key turnover or something in a loss.STOP HATING!!!!.

Whomever you are, you're not making it easy on yourself. That diatribe was cute, however. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
Exquisite

PostPosted: 02/01/08 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So ban me.I could care less.I'm not using any foul language.Whatever.Do what you have to do.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/02/08 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exquisite wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
Exquisite wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Exquisite wrote:

No one stalks A NOBODY.

Oh let me guess.You & Bballfan2005 have the same biophysics class.Yawn.Mind your business.....LOSER!!!!

I think it's clear who the loser in this case is and it's not bballfan2005 or eyevolley.

Exquisite

PostPosted: 02/02/08 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man shut up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: