RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USC, UCLA - no suspenions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/26/08 6:00 pm    ::: USC, UCLA - no suspenions Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The topic became an issue in the wake of the wild finish to USC's 64-56 victory over the Bruins last week at the Galen Center. In the final 2 ½ seconds officials called four technical fouls and ejected three players.

Had the players -- Moniquee Alexander and Candice Brown of UCLA and Jacki Gemelos of USC - been ejected for fighting they would have had to serve a one-game suspension.

But, said a Pac-10 spokesperson, the league determined the incident was "not a fight but a skirmish" and no suspensions will be imposed.

Are they nuts? Those are synonyms. And if they weren't ejected for fighting, why were the ejected? Is there are rule against skirmishing that gets you ejected but not suspended?! I don't really care if anyone is suspended, but that just seems like a really stupid way of saying, "we just didn't want to suspend anyone."

http://www.pac-10.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/012308aaa.html

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/26/08 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe a fight includes hitting.. punches... My understanding is that there was some mouthiness and some chest bumping...

if people were ejected, they can be ejected without throwing a punch.

it was assumed by many after the game that there would be no supsensions

PostPosted: 01/26/08 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, that's certainly lucky for UCLA!

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 01/26/08 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who started the argument...suspend whoever started it. Thats always my take on it.

PostPosted: 01/27/08 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was there and there were no punches thrown. Pluimer had a hard foul on the SC player who threw an elbow and hit Plum in the face. Pluimer got pissed and walked up on the SC player and words were exchanged. Things got out of hand when players came off the bench. 3 Bruins and 1 Trojan came off the benches.

I will say however that the Trojan player and Morris, had not played and seemed to be trying to pull other players back.

It is huge for UCLA because they couldn't handle losing anyone right now. And this is headed for a show down in Pauley in Feb when the Trojans visit. Both teams tied for 4th in the PAC and seem to be playing parallel ball.

LitePal

PostPosted: 01/27/08 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you have Fox Sports, the incident is recapped on "The Gauntlet" complete with video. While there is definitely a pull-apart, no punches are thrown, lots of getting into each other's faces and what looks like a great shouting match is unfortunately not audible.

I do wonder if this will have any effect on Olivier. She's already skating on thin ice and this isn't the sort of thing UCLA likes to see from its teams.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 01/27/08 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck if took a fight to get KO canned, I will be the 1st one on the court. After the games this weekend, Someone needs to really be looking at her. Though the Bruins came away with 2 wins, they again had to overcome huge deficits to do so. There is a missing link within this team right now, and I am thinking it is the coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: