RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NC State @ Duke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiChi

PostPosted: 01/20/08 3:12 pm    ::: NC State @ Duke Reply Reply with quote

Duke 71-57

Our woes continue, with another league loss, probably our ugliest too. It looks like it's starting to get in the players heads, every single player looked mad. Poor Tia Bell, she's trying to step up with Lucy out. She's been hapless so far and Yow lit into her. Lucy knew how to play her role clearing out space and rebounding. Tia has potential, she's just needs to pump some iron.

Too many turnovers, just like the Georgia Tech game. Duke had a bunch of sloppy turnovers too, but the Pack looked like a bunch of strangers, wondering what to do with this round thing in their hands when they gave us the ball.

KD and Shayla are the leaders of the team and needed to calm everybody down, but Shayla is too much the "quiet leader" type. She's steady and I wouldn't trade her for anybody, but I wished she'd speak up. KD had a terrible game, and she tried to get the others pumped up, but I don't think anybody was feeling it.

Abby Waner's antics were a good distraction from the game for Pack fans Laughing when did she start taking cheap shots? Gotta give her the benefit of the doubt bc she's not that kind of player and maybe Amber must've been getting on her nerve.

Chante Black was the best player out there, really sweet game in every way. She influenced everything inside.

To the Pack ladies, please take out that anger on the appropriate targets - Virginia Tech and Wake Tech. If we can't win those, might as well stay home and take up knitting.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Abby Waner's antics were a good distraction from the game for Pack fans "

ChiChi, please provide more info on this. I was at the game and have no idea what you're referring to. All I saw was her shots were way off, but she still contributed in lots of other ways on offense and defense. I'm sure she's frustrated about her shooting slump but I didn't see her take any cheap shots.

Mo~rAfClub

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Duke having a much higher ranked group of players and a more even mix between newer and veteran players, Duke was definitely the favorite to win this, especially at home. I thought the Wolfpack hung in there pretty well and got a majority of the hustle rebounds. Duke won the game via two defensive spurts midway through each half. Besides the 8-10 pts scored in each of these flurries, the game was played even.

I'm not quite sure what it says that the higher ranked, more experienced Duke players couldn't execute in the half court any better than this younger team, less ranked coming out of high school. I'll just say it speaks well of the coaching mind and talent of Coach Kay Yow, and leave it at that.

Mo~rAfClub

~rAf
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/20/08 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was impressed with Duke's defense and that was it. This game was, for the most part, defined by poorly-executed offense and NC State's inability to hold onto the ball, much less score. They scrapped to keep it close, but it's clear that they aren't very good. The problem is that we aren't much better--at least on offense.

If this Duke team could run any sort of offense, the game wouldn't have been close. As such, Duke allowed a team that didn't think it could win hang around longer than it should've. When we went up by 10, we should've put the hammer down on this team as opposed to trying to get Abby Waner going. It's clear to me that Abby's shooting woes are going to take a while to straighten out, so go with what was working (Nish and Chante).

Mathies to LA 2013
MoHa21

PostPosted: 01/21/08 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From readyAIMfire53:

Quote:

ChiChi, please provide more info on this.

Maybe ChiChi was referring to Waner's two-handed shove to the back of Amber White? That surprised me.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/21/08 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MoHa21 wrote:
From readyAIMfire53:

Quote:

ChiChi, please provide more info on this.

Maybe ChiChi was referring to Waner's two-handed shove to the back of Amber White? That surprised me.

Well, it seems Abby did indeed do something unsportsmanlike during the game - I've gotten that from a couple of sources now. I hope she was taken out of the game since that has never been part of Duke women's basketball. That's my biggest beef about UNC's Hatchell - she doesn't take players out of the game for even much worse stuff than that (Leah Metcalf's sharp elbow to Iciss Tillis' ribcage while both were jogging downcourt) - Hatchell actually rewards these players for showing "fire".

The main source of Abby's frustration is not getting shots from the offensive sets. She's a rhythm player and right now, she never knows when/if she'll get a shot. She's standing outside the arc too much instead of moving. Considering her nickname is "perpetual motion" that is a clear sign she's not comfortable. The discomfort is leading to lack of shooting rhythm, which leads to fewer shots going down.

I am making the plea on the Duke board for SCREENS FOR THE SHOOTERS, and yesterday, there was ONE. Lots of screens for the post players, but the ones used previously for outside shooters are totally missing from the offense currently. G had three "specialty" screens - a two person screen at the free throw line, a top of the key screen and a baseline screen which are currently absent. There's not even picks set to give shooters a split second to set their feet.

It's very, very hard to watch Abby being so frustrated out there. The game she's shown in past years and on national teams make her deserving to be on the "Wade Watch" etc lists for National Player of the Year awards.

It was very nice, on the other hand, to see Nish, Joy and Chante take up the slack. Also KJ (Keturah Jackson) was a defensive force and her driving ability forced defenders to play her and others honest rather than doubling post players.

Mo~rAfClub

~rAf
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 01/23/08 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't think this was ever posted...

Duke vs. North Carolina State NCAA Women's Basketball Photo Gallery
By Charles Herskowitz: Jan. 21, 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: