RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/21/08 2:59 pm    ::: AP Poll Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news?slug=ap-t25-womensbkbpoll&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kansas State, Georgia Tech, Syracuse in.

DePaul, Colorado, Texas out.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/08 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, "good" losses and wins over overrated teams get one a ranking these days? Confused

Mathies to LA 2013
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 01/21/08 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go 'Cuse!!!

It's been a good week for the 'Cuse, despite the loss to UConn. Tiara Butler, a top 5'10" G from the Class of 2010 in the DC/MD/VA area, gave the 'Cuse a verbal after the game against UConn.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/21/08 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not shocked to see DePaul fall out, but I didn't expect Texas or Colorado to get the boot.

I still think Wyoming shouldn't be as high as they are, but whatever.

Good times though for Syracuse. They are obviously a team on the rise.

PostPosted: 01/21/08 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Not shocked to see DePaul fall out, but I didn't expect Texas or Colorado to get the boot.

I still think Wyoming shouldn't be as high as they are, but whatever.

Good times though for Syracuse. They are obviously a team on the rise.

Texas lost 3 of 4 and barely beat Iowa State at home. I am surprised Texas was still ranked.

bbfan - I agree. A team gets up for one game and still loses, but sways enough voters to be ranked?

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
FS02

PostPosted: 01/21/08 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't find ANY team in that 18-25 group that you can really make a strong case for. It comes down to whether you value great play over a short stretch of games (Kansas State) or consistency (Wyoming). There is a tremendous amount of parity down there.

And I can't figure the Big-12 out at all.

beknighted

PostPosted: 01/22/08 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1-11 were unchanged; very boring.

It will change next week, though, for sure.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/22/08 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
bbfan - I agree. A team gets up for one game and still loses, but sways enough voters to be ranked?

Which is exactly why I don't put much stock into the rankings until March/April. Poll rankings are too political for my liking. What good are "almost wins" come March?

Syracuse has a few good wins and no bad losses, so their ranking is justified even with the loss to Connecticut (hell, they're STILL undefeated). Kansas State has won several in a row (undefeated in Big 12 play), but did they really lose to Tulane? Wisc-GB? Creighton???? Does this not register to the voters? And how in the hell did Georgia Tech get ranked? By losing to a tired Maryland team in double-OT? They beat the two worst teams in the ACC by a combined total of 14 points--but they are a Top 25 team because of a close loss to Maryland? Shocked What in the HELL is up with that logic?

Hopefully Duke can put the hammer down on Georgia Tech and its Thugball on Thursday night. This subjective BS criteria is getting old...

Mathies to LA 2013
beknighted

PostPosted: 01/22/08 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my experience, poll voters often have short memories, particularly about losses that happened last month or the month before. I'm not saying I much like this, but polls are as much a reflection of perceived "hotness" as actual overall quality. You see that, among other things, in the way that teams like Wyoming and ODU move up the polls once conference play starts, since they don't lose. (Of course, if they do, they get whacked pretty hard for it.) That's one reason that polls and seeding often don't match, particularly for mid-majors.

That said, I have a hard time being upset about any of the teams ranked 18-25. The structure of the poll requires voters to pick 25 teams, and when the group from 18 to, oh, 40 is only okay, you'll end up with teams moving into the poll that don't look very top-25ish. This year, none of the 18-25 teams are likely to be contenders, except to the extent that a couple will get to the Sweet 16, so it's not really worth worrying about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: