RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ASU v. Cal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/17/08 6:10 pm    ::: ASU v. Cal Reply Reply with quote

Big game tonight @ 6:30pm Arizona time - battle of the Pac-10 unbeatens. So of course it's not televised. You might be able to listen in online at http://www.kxam.com/ but I make no guarantees.

UofA hosts Stanford @ 7pm.

Go Devils!

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/17/08 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal 34, ASU 21 at the half

maroondevil

PostPosted: 01/17/08 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lady devil fan

i just got home, how is the game? i see ASU is down by 13. what's up, coudl you give me a quick summary of the first half? how are they shooting etc?

thank you

go devils

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/17/08 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lead was cut down to four, but Hampton and Walker made shots and a FT and lead back up to 9, 45-36 with about 13 left.

maroondevil

PostPosted: 01/17/08 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am watching the game and gosh, i like charli but sometimes that hockey sub system of hers doesnt really work. When you have Cals best players you need ASU's best players. January should not leave the floor at all !!!!

go devils!!!

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hampton just gets two, Cal up 58-47. Despite all the fouls on Cal, they're staying in it. 3 minutes left.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hampton has a new career high with 28. Then A. Gray-Lawson gets a steal and Walker scores. Cal up by 15 with 2 minutes left.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final score, Cal 64, ASU 51.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maroondevil wrote:
lady devil fan

i just got home, how is the game? i see ASU is down by 13. what's up, coudl you give me a quick summary of the first half? how are they shooting etc?

thank you

go devils

Sorry - I didn't come back to check this while I was watching the game. It appears that no one on our team has any desire to rebound the ball whatsoever when we actually need a rebound. And no one wants to play D on Hampton. At all. Maybe they are scared of her hair. Shocked

Really disappointing performance by the Devils. They better regroup for Sunday...

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
maroondevil wrote:
lady devil fan

thank you

go devils

Sorry - I didn't come back to check this while I was watching the game. It appears that no one on our team has any desire to rebound the ball whatsoever when we actually need a rebound. And no one wants to play D on Hampton. At all. Maybe they are scared of her hair. Shocked

Really disappointing performance by the Devils. They better regroup for Sunday...

Or they're intimidated by her hair. Girlfriend was as fierce as her hair tonight.

I was listerning to the Cal announcers and they were commenting on how ASU started walking during the last 1:30 and wondering why when they could hustle and try to get some three's up. This is not the same ASU team they had last year. I'm feeling like they're missing the leadership aspect. Lacey has been good but Dosty has been spotty and without Orsillo, their scoring threats are not as obvious.

Casein

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CT had better bite the bullet and sit people who do not play defence.

If that means sitting starters so be it...

ASU has poor inside defence and some are useless on the perimeter against the shot or pass.

PostPosted: 01/17/08 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
LadyDevilFan wrote:
maroondevil wrote:
lady devil fan

thank you

go devils

Or they're intimidated by her hair. Girlfriend was as fierce as her hair tonight.

I was listerning to the Cal announcers and they were commenting on how ASU started walking during the last 1:30 and wondering why when they could hustle and try to get some three's up. This is not the same ASU team they had last year. I'm feeling like they're missing the leadership aspect. Lacey has been good but Dosty has been spotty and without Orsillo, their scoring threats are not as obvious.

Lol, she was as fierce as her hair indeed.

This is true - it's not the same team. I haven't really bought into it being the missing leadership thing yet, but maybe I'll jump on that bandwagon. You're right about them walking up the court instead of hustling at the end. It's obvious that they get dejected and frustrated, and then they just think there is no hope. It happens at the beginning of almost every game. Someone misses, the other team scores, and then all of a sudden we're in a funk for the whole first half with everyone playing scared and missing layups. Then Charli knocks some sense into them all at halftime and they make a comeback. But depending on the opponent, that obviously doesn't always work. Maybe we're missing leadership in the sense that Emily and Aubree were always upbeat and positive and gave 100% to the end. I don't know if they actually were that way, but I'm running out of alternative explanations for what we're missing from last year.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 01/17/08 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sounds like chemistry issues for ASU, with losing some great srs, injuries and 2 transfers.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/18/08 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Bears!!! Wish I could have seen it and loved the way Ashley made it happen at the end.....ASU is a tough team and I'm really proud the Cal came away with a win!

caune

PostPosted: 01/18/08 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I sure hope Hampton does not re injure that knee! She was dragging it around like a damn peg leg for part of the second half...which IS traveling Rolling Eyes but she has lots of heart to be out there muscling up like she does.

Cal out hustled ASU who couldn't hit the grand canyon with a shot Shocked

PostPosted: 01/18/08 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My HOA had their annual meeting last night and as a board member it was prudent I attend.

My two floor seat tickets were offered to a coworker whose daughter played with Tobin in high school. Unfortunately her coach backed up their scheduled practice time and there was a conflict.

Emily and Aubrey are missed, yet I thought Lacey and Dosty would adequately replace them. Emily scored, Aubrey did not (except her senior year when necessary). However, they were leaders with their effort, defense, and rebounding.

Orsillo is truly missed as she is a scoring threat and our only consistent midrange threat. Thompson unfortunately has REgressed tremendously.

Charli's line change substitutions may wear down opponents, yet just won't work against good teams.

January is our best scorer, yet she is also by far our best distributor. Simon has very few assists and a crapload of turnovers. Reagan and Kate are too timid to shoot, ball faking the air until the defender closes.

We cannot spot teams leads in the first half and need to come out with intensity, playing that pesky up in your face defense.

Spotting a teama 13 to 16 point lead from the top just won't work.

*rant over*

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
shrrew

PostPosted: 01/18/08 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="LadyDevilFan"]
fancy_daniel wrote:

I was scared of her hair and I was in the stands! Actually she was looking a little tired at the end of 1st half and seemed to recover in the last 10 mins of the game.

To me, the most impressive thing about the game was the ASU superman cheer-guy holding up a tiny cheerleader above his head with 1 hand.... Shocked

ps nice meeting a few of rebkellians at the game... hope to see you sunday!

PostPosted: 01/18/08 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it was a depressing loss - it seems ASU has a fear of shooting and I would like to see them get over that. When they came out in the 2nd half I had hope, but then the effort just seemed to evaporate. I think some of our players need to gain some weight and build some muscle too. You need body mass when you're up against a big, strong team. I have to admire Cal, though - they played a good tough game and deserved the win.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
caune

PostPosted: 01/18/08 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more thing...if Kate Engelbrecht aka Bambi, a shooting guard, continues to pass up open shots I am coming outta my seat to slap her upside the head.
Girl you are USELESS at the 2 if you don't SHOOT!!!

PostPosted: 01/18/08 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
One more thing...if Kate Engelbrecht aka Bambi, a shooting guard, continues to pass up open shots I am coming outta my seat to slap her upside the head.
Girl you are USELESS at the 2 if you don't SHOOT!!!

Yeah, I don't know why that girl won't shoot the ball. That's what shooting guards are supposed to do, right? Laughing

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 01/18/08 6:26 pm    ::: Arizona State Reply Reply with quote

When I was out in Arizona for the TOC, I got to see ASU play vs Fresno State (easy, but sloppy win) and Texas, who sort of just controlled the game. I asked one of the local writers to compare ASU to last year. The answer was "sort of a push but different." They swapped 2 4F's for the 2 C's. Lacey might qualify for C/4F. They get Simon back but not 100% and lose Orcillo who I thought was one of their best wings. Net result so far has been obviously less than last year. Against Texas, CTT did not sub as much due to additional temporary injuries. I must agree that January needs to play a lot. I have for a couple of years referred to ASU as the "hockey team." Yes, their goal is to wear you down but I believe it is in fact over-substituting. Still my guess is ASU will make the Big Dance. One negaitive is the loss to Texas Tech, which does not look so good right now given their 0-3 conference start.

Casein

PostPosted: 01/18/08 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
January is our best scorer, yet she is also by far our best distributor. Simon has very few assists and a crapload of turnovers. Reagan and Kate are too timid to shoot, ball faking the air until the defender closes

Have to totally agree re Simon, can score but is almost a liability in all other aspects..in particular just slows up the whole tempo when she has the ball in hand.

CTs subbing regime creates timidness..

PostPosted: 01/19/08 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if we could set a decent pick it would help open Dymond for some shots and Bri too. Dosty and Lacey are erractic at best and Jill was a mess.

The sub patterns are going to work against the better teams, we can wear them down, but if we won't shoot it doesn't matter. I can believe how many layups Cal got. True Hampton built a mansion in the lane, but no one could keep her out of the blocks.

Fronting her on defense wasn't working because the help side defense was a sleep. Unfortunately a disappointing effort, but I'm not really surprised by the outcome, just the seemingly lack of effort.

mb1

PostPosted: 01/19/08 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charli needs to read this thread.

Family is getting together for football tv viewing Sunday...early game at 1pm, late game (PACKERS!) at 4:30...do I show up to watch a debacle at 2pm???

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 01/19/08 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Charli needs to read this thread.

Family is getting together for football tv viewing Sunday...early game at 1pm, late game (PACKERS!) at 4:30...do I show up to watch a debacle at 2pm???

If you don't, I may never forgive you! Some of us are not lucky enough to have the opportunity to go - so take advantage of it while you can! Debacle or not, they obviously need people there to cheer them on.

Please go. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: