RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dukies- bball and Cam, your thoughts on G vs. K clash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 10/29/07 9:08 pm    ::: Dukies- bball and Cam, your thoughts on G vs. K clash Reply Reply with quote

I saw this story online at this link (not sure how to do links in these posts)...

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?p=13514&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more13514

Curious if you read it and your thoughts on the alleged rift between G and K. Interesting that K apparently introduced the women's team at this scrimmage and seemed to be expressing support. I'd heard that K and the AD at Duke are tight- if so, perhaps this is K supporting his AD?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/30/07 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skimmed it. Don't buy for one second that Coach K is actually supporting the women's team out of the kindness of his heart. I do think, however, that he and Alleva are trying to save face by "supporting" another successful program. After the job search fiasco that took place last spring, they're trying to do everything they can to keep people from pointing fingers at them re Gail's departure.

Ya gotta read between the lines here. Duke University is a mainstay in the Top 10 of the US News & World Report's Best Colleges. Duke Athletics opened up an impressive football facility (Yoh) about four years ago and have the smallest stadium in the ACC--which would/should facilitate more sell-outs. Yet the administration "can't" find a suitable football coach to lead the team to a bowl-eligible season in a mediocre football conference? Riiiiiiiight. Rolling Eyes I believe that as much as I believe there were/are WMD in Iraq. You'll also note that Alleva and head football coach Ted Roof are buddies.

As long as McCallie can't live up to expectations, her relationships with Coach K and Alleva will be just fine. And from what I've seen, she's not a serious threat to K like Gail was because, for starters, she has actually has a traditional family life to which she must attend.

I have to laugh at all the "Gail is arrogant" claims that some "fans" have tossed around now that she's gone. Of course she's arrogant. Why else would Duke have been successful on the national scene the previous nine seasons? To be a successful coach these days, one has to be a tad bit arrogant or else you'll get eaten alive (see Carolyn Peck). Yet time and time again, Gail has complimented other teams' players and given credit to other teams--both in victory as well as in defeat. Does she do so begrudgingly? Sometimes, but who out there likes to willingly admit that they've been outcoached?

Still, I don't think she's half as arrogant as that wicked witch who resides in Chapel Hill. Nobody ever defeats UNC. When the Tar Heels lose, it's because they beat themselves. Hatchell's players are the best in the ACC at whatever position they play, even if they're bench scrubs who didn't get recruited by any other ACC school. Last season, one beat writer had to practically tell Hatchell that Lindsey Harding was the leading candidate for ACC POY because she didn't want to admit that Ivory wasn't going to win. By contrast, Brenda Frese was singing Lindsey's praises three or four weeks before the votes for NPOY were cast.

Mathies to LA 2013
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 10/30/07 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is probably harder to win consistently in football than any other sport. The numbers are overwhelming and the recruiting intense.

And another story on the G era at Duke...this one from the Duke paper...wonder who fed this kid this info...

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/10/30/Column/Bringing.New.Life.To.Womens.Basketball-3065168.shtml

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/07 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
It is probably harder to win consistently in football than any other sport. The numbers are overwhelming and the recruiting intense.

And another story on the G era at Duke...this one from the Duke paper...wonder who fed this kid this info...

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/10/30/Column/Bringing.New.Life.To.Womens.Basketball-3065168.shtml

I submitted a comment. The author really missed the mark on several points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: