RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CSTV preseason Top 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/23/07 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
I absolutely agree that Bales is an amazing defenseive player, but she IS 6'7" afterall. At that height it would kinda be more astounding if she DIDN'T have blocks galore.

So why didn't Gillian Goring have as many blocks as Alison Bales?

I haven't really seen her, but just logically you'd think she either got called for fouls (either because she's big, or because she's stupid and didn't realize she's big enough to not foul the player she's guarding) or because she didn't try to.

Likewise, isn't Margo Dydek the league all time leader in blocks?

PostPosted: 10/24/07 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumped this back to the top just for you, JoeyNations. See my last response on page one about the blocks numbers, since you seem to keep talking about Toliver's statement that Marissa blocks shots.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 10/24/07 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was alluding to Toliver..Holy Cow, not the actual player. and the argument was that blocked shots and rebounds don't make the defensive player, which I agree with. My point was Bales is 6'7, she should be able to block shots. Goring saw her first action last year, had she lived up to the hype she would have blocked shots too.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/07 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
I was alluding to Toliver..Holy Cow, not the actual player. and the argument was that blocked shots and rebounds don't make the defensive player, which I agree with. My point was Bales is 6'7, she should be able to block shots. Goring saw her first action last year, had she lived up to the hype she would have blocked shots too.

Here I thought your point was Coleman had improved to be a good defender since Toliver said she could block shots and rebound. Or is that Toliver...HolyCow's point?

Blocking shots because someone is tall is one thing. There are a lot of tall people in basketball. And there are a lot more athletic post players than Bales. She blocked more shots than the entire Maryland team. That wasn't just because she is tall.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/24/07 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

You're missing the point (big surprise there). If every 6-7ish player is capable of blocking shots like Bales, why don't they? Why didn't players like Gillian Goring (who played in 2005-06 as well, BTW), Nare Diawara (6-6 VT grad), and KeKe Carrier (6-7, Auburn) block more shots last year?

Yes, Bales is 6-7. However, her being 6-7 doesn't explain why she led the ACC in blocked shots by a large margin. Her being a great defender with great anticipation does.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/07 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before Bales got to Duke, DeMya Walker held the career number for blocks in a career in the ACC (at 330, I believe). Bales blocked 434 shots, over 100 more than the previous career record...and that was with only blocking 29 shots her freshman year in very limited playing time.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/24/07 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Yes, Bales is 6-7. However, her being 6-7 doesn't explain why she led the ACC in blocked shots by a large margin. Her being a great defender with great anticipation does.

So if Margo Dydek were to lead the WNBA in blocks by a wide margin, that would mean....

PostPosted: 10/24/07 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
So if Margo Dydek were to lead the WNBA in blocks by a wide margin, that would mean....

That's she's a great defensive player. What else is it supposed to mean? I'm sure she gets a portion of her blocks by default, but that doesn't explain the hundreds of others she gets through proper positioning and timing.

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 10/24/07 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

at no point were the Duke players instructed to funnel the action towards Bales?

Did Alison get better each year in getting to the "spot" quicker? yes, and she learned to recognize the play. (also may have been aided by reputation on lack of fouls called).

My biggest complaint with Maryland is that they never pulled Bales from the basket and utilize Langorne's quick first step to get her in foul trouble. Plus, pulling Bales away would let Harper use her height.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/24/07 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
at no point were the Duke players instructed to funnel the action towards Bales?

Of course they were. But that doesn't mean she didn't make defensive plays out of her area nor does it mean that all of her blocks were "assisted".

Quote:
Did Alison get better each year in getting to the "spot" quicker? yes, and she learned to recognize the play. (also may have been aided by reputation on lack of fouls called).

Not sure what games you were watching last year. Bales was in foul trouble for much of the second half of the season.

Quote:
My biggest complaint with Maryland is that they never pulled Bales from the basket and utilize Langorne's quick first step to get her in foul trouble. Plus, pulling Bales away would let Harper use her height.

UVA did this very well with Siedah Williams last year and Williams/Sardin the year before that (Littles just attacks Bales head-on for some reason), and it would've worked for them had they been able to hit shots.

Still, the point is that Bales is a great defender who racked up her blocks in ways other than just being 6-7. We're not talking about a big, dumb cyborg here. Bales was a standout basketball player in college (and a futue physician) who took the time to improve her game by watching countless hours of film and by working diligently with Gail on her footwork. Simply put, she was a beast.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/07 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

Probably because it isn't like Langhorne is great with the ball or has a great handle. She can handle one dribble and do her step-through move, but further away from the basket is too much. Plus, Langhorne does not have range on her shot, so Bales would not have been required to defend her as close, since she wasn't a threat from outside 8 feet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: