RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

My early top 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/01/07 2:23 pm    ::: My early top 25 Reply Reply with quote

1 Tennessee
2 UConn
3 North Carolina
4 Rutgers
5 Stanford
6 LSU
7 Georgia
8 Maryland
9 Duke
10 Oklahoma
11 Baylor
12 Purdue
13 Arizona State
14 NC State
15 Michigan State
16 Minnesota
17 Ohio State
18 Texas A&M
19 DePaul
20 George Washington
21 Florida State
22 Utah
23 Mississippi
24 Vanderbilt
25 Marist

PostPosted: 09/01/07 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree with a lot.

I think Purdue is ranked too high. Texas A&M is ranked way too low. Arizona State should be higher, too. California should be ranked. As should Notre Dame. Those are just a couple of my disagreements.

The Big Ten as a whole is going to be very shallow. I think, at this point, Michigan State is my favorite to finish first. I'm so Purdue fans, but I don't think you guys will have it this year. I think Purdue could drop from the Top 25 as a whole. And of course I'm hoping Illinois finishes well in the Big Ten.

PostPosted: 09/01/07 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Louisville? They lost Jazz Covington but she had less than stellar senior year. They still have Angel MCoughtry, and their freshmen class looks pretty good.

I also agree about Cal. They have to be ranked.

Marist - Nice NCAA run but they are not one of the top 50 teams in the country.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/01/07 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marist at #25 is a nod to their run last March. There are any number of teams that could go there, none of which were around on the second weekend of last year's tournament.

Cal may run up a decent record in the Pac-10, but they're not at the level of major conference teams or even top mid-majors. Kinda like last year when everyone said they'd be good and their best non-con win came against Arkansas State (at home, no less).

PostPosted: 09/01/07 4:33 pm    ::: Re: My early top 25 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
1 Tennessee
2 UConn
3 North Carolina
4 Rutgers
5 Stanford
6 LSU
7 Georgia
8 Maryland
9 Duke
10 Oklahoma
11 Baylor
12 Purdue
13 Arizona State
14 NC State
15 Michigan State
16 Minnesota
17 Ohio State
18 Texas A&M
19 DePaul
20 George Washington
21 Florida State
22 Utah
23 Mississippi
24 Vanderbilt
25 Marist

I agree with Minnesota being a raked team this year. They will be more experienced then they were last year.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 09/01/07 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the challenge to Louisville is their new coach meshing with their players -- I'm looking forward to watching Angel this season

PostPosted: 09/01/07 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
I disagree with a lot.

I think Purdue is ranked too high. Texas A&M is ranked way too low. Arizona State should be higher, too. California should be ranked. As should Notre Dame. Those are just a couple of my disagreements.

The Big Ten as a whole is going to be very shallow. I think, at this point, Michigan State is my favorite to finish first. I'm so Purdue fans, but I don't think you guys will have it this year. I think Purdue could drop from the Top 25 as a whole. And of course I'm hoping Illinois finishes well in the Big Ten.

With LWH out this season, I think the top of the Big Ten will be Wisconsin, MSU, and OSU, in no particular order. Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Penn State, and Michigan State will all be interesting teams to watch as the season develops, I am not sure what to expect from any of them. IU and NU will be improved and Michigan may be as well. The top of the Big Ten will be weak, but the bottom could be stronger then it has been in a long time.

PostPosted: 09/01/07 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why UNC at #3 ahead of Rutgers?

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/01/07 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
With LWH out this season, I think the top of the Big Ten will be Wisconsin, MSU, and OSU, in no particular order. Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Penn State, and Michigan State will all be interesting teams to watch as the season develops, I am not sure what to expect from any of them. IU and NU will be improved and Michigan may be as well. The top of the Big Ten will be weak, but the bottom could be stronger then it has been in a long time.

Very nice analysis, Michael.

Just a couple more thoughts...

I have questions about Wisconsin. They always seem to be "overrated" IMO, and often do not perform to their expectations.

MSU brings back the most talent(I think) and Ohio State probably has the most talent in the league, but there is lots of youth. Illinois returns everybody but Wigley who can easily be replaced by fifth year Senior Audrey Tabon who sat out last year with an injury. Minnesota is a team that I don't even know where to rank. Penn State could be good, but I'm not sure they have quality depth. Indiana and Iowa may surprise people. Probably not, though. Northwestern will stay as the bottom dweller. They get Jaeske, but trust me folks, she ain't all that. I saw my high school team handle her and we were considerably smaller. And then there's Michigan, who I'm not too informed about. They play a really tough schedule this year. Way tougher than ever before. Not really a good move IMO but whatever. And as I've said before, I don't see Purdue making much noise. And I thought I'd never say that...

PostPosted: 09/02/07 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State at 13 & Stanford at 5.........uh NO Rolling Eyes ASU made it to the Elite 8.......remember Mad

PostPosted: 09/02/07 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Cal may run up a decent record in the Pac-10, but they're not at the level of major conference teams or even top mid-majors. Kinda like last year when everyone said they'd be good and their best non-con win came against Arkansas State (at home, no less).

I think you have to remember that last season Cal was playing without Pac-10 POY Alex Gray-Lawson and very little depth on the bench. AGL will be returning to the court this year....and the team only lost one impact player to graduation, Levy. Though the loss of recruit Sanford hurts on the depth front, from what I've been hearing, incoming frosh 6-2 Canadian National Team member (youngest player ever to make the team-with lots of international experience now) Kelsey Adrian should be a help....also Federico is a gifted athlete who's not been playing basketball for that long and apparently has a great shot....I imagine she'll develop well under Boyle and her staff....

Cal's OC sked is much more challenging this year with Baylor, Rutgers and Vandy among the opponents, so at least we will get a chance to see Cal against some strong opponents (aside from the Pac-10 toughies)....anyway, I think they should be ranked in the top-25 at least, given the talent and good coaching they have....

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 09/03/07 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But who's the defending conference champ? Until someone takes Stanford out of that spot, they're going to be ranked higher. ASU has had some great runs in the tourney but until they or anyone else wins the conference, the Cardinal are still the team to beat.

John Wooden
kage

PostPosted: 09/03/07 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ehh... I don't know. Do you want the conference championship or the longer run in the tournament? Seems to me it's about the same.

Now, definitely, we know that the national championship is greater than a conference championship. I'd say even the Final Four is def. better than the conference championship for sure. Elite 8? Probably, imo.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/03/07 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the list from Lindys compiled by Michelle Smith:

1, Tennessee
2. UCONN
3. Rutgers
4. Maryland
5. LSU
6. Oklahoma
7. UNC
8. DUke
9. Texas A&M
10. Stanford
11.Arizona State
12. Georgia
13. George Washington
14. Baylor
15. Cal
16. Florida State
17. Michigan State
18. Pitt
19. Notre Dame
20. Texas
21. Louisville
22. Middle Tennessee
23. Oklahoma State
24. West Virginia
25. Purdue

I like her top 10 list. I think Wisconsin will win the Big 10. And I think South Dakota State breaks into the 25 this year.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 09/03/07 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
But who's the defending conference champ? Until someone takes Stanford out of that spot, they're going to be ranked higher. ASU has had some great runs in the tourney but until they or anyone else wins the conference, the Cardinal are still the team to beat.

I agree....

gopher5

PostPosted: 09/04/07 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

MSU brings back the most talent(I think) and Ohio State probably has the most talent in the league, but there is lots of youth.

MSU will be without Mia Johnson (torn ACL).

I'm never sure about predictions. But I am curious how all of the new coaches will do.

Michael

PostPosted: 09/04/07 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Michael wrote:

Very nice analysis, Michael.

Just a couple more thoughts...

I have questions about Wisconsin. They always seem to be "overrated" IMO, and often do not perform to their expectations.

MSU brings back the most talent(I think) and Ohio State probably has the most talent in the league, but there is lots of youth. Illinois returns everybody but Wigley who can easily be replaced by fifth year Senior Audrey Tabon who sat out last year with an injury. Minnesota is a team that I don't even know where to rank. Penn State could be good, but I'm not sure they have quality depth. Indiana and Iowa may surprise people. Probably not, though. Northwestern will stay as the bottom dweller. They get Jaeske, but trust me folks, she ain't all that. I saw my high school team handle her and we were considerably smaller. And then there's Michigan, who I'm not too informed about. They play a really tough schedule this year. Way tougher than ever before. Not really a good move IMO but whatever. And as I've said before, I don't see Purdue making much noise. And I thought I'd never say that...

Wisconsin has been steadily getting better the last few seasons, and I expect them to be a little better this season as well, but the teams ahead of them are all falling back so much that just a slightly improved UWisc could win or get a share of the title with 4 conference losses. Purdue is suffering through the last of our previous coaches haphazard recruiting and a key injury, but it appears that this will only be a bump in the road as Versyp has recruiting going well and seemingly getting better and better. I am not very impressed with MSU's hiring of Merchant, I think UM got a much better coach but it may take 5-6 years for it to show up on the court. Illinois would be my sleeper pick, they have had talent for years, but Grentz just beat the life out of that team every year. With competent coaching, they could jump up and surprise some people. Bad news for the Big Ten as most teams have been raiding Illinois for years snagging all the players that wouldn't play for Grentz.

PostPosted: 09/04/07 12:49 pm    ::: Biased a bit Reply Reply with quote

I certainly like the Lindy's list better than pilight's as Lindys has MT at 22. Very Happy

This year is going to be very interesting for the Lady Raiders. Expectations are high based upon last season. But the team may fall back a bit due to key losses and a tougher schedule.

The best player in school history, Chrissy Givens, graduated. But there are plenty of young players prepared to take over her roles of leader, defender, scorer, rebounder and assist disher (what is the "er" of assist). The bigger player loss may have been Senior Krystle Horton who manned the post. She was responsible for defending the likes of Nicky Anosike and Crystal Langhorne last season. With her graduation and the loss of 6-7 Jasmine Duffey to a medical condition, the Lady Raiders will suffer from a serious lack of an inside presence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: