RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Irish message board reports taking another one away ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 08/07/07 2:39 pm    ::: Irish message board reports taking another one away .... Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame message board is reporting taking one more player away from : Purdue,Duke,Louisville,Kentucky and Baylor.

http://hoopgurlz.com/story/novosel-updates-her-list

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
lola528

PostPosted: 08/07/07 2:59 pm    ::: :: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to ND on getting Natalie--but I don't think they "took her away" from Purdue--Purdue filled its recruiting class yesterday with Chantel Poston, so does not have any spaces left in the '08 class.

http://www.milanmirrorexchange.com/story_display.php?refnum=2318

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/07/07 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky is losing out on a lot of in-state recruits.

~UK~

PostPosted: 08/08/07 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Novosel was intent on going out of state. Hard to lose out on someone that wants to get away from home.
Rolling Eyes

Novosel, considered a leading candidate for this season's Miss Basketball, said she was "sort of leaning" toward Kentucky before DeMoss resigned. But she said she built a solid relationship with new coach Matthew Mitchell.

"The coaching change didn't affect it that much," she said. "I definitely respected (Mitchell) and had a good relationship with him."

But in the end, she said she preferred going out of state. Her sister Shannon Novosel, also a Lexington Catholic standout, plays basketball at Evansville.

"I liked the coaching staffs at Kentucky and Louisville," Novosel said. "I just sort of almost knew I wanted to go out of state, but Kentucky and Louisville were definitely in there until the end."

http://www.kentucky.com/279/story/143569.html

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/08/07 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair enough. But what about all the top HS Kentucky players going to Louisville? I'm just hoping it's not a trend. Kentucky could be a great women's basketball program if everything falls into place.

~UK~

PostPosted: 08/08/07 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Fair enough. But what about all the top HS Kentucky players going to Louisville? I'm just hoping it's not a trend. Kentucky could be a great women's basketball program if everything falls into place.

I think 'all the top HS Kentucky players going to Louisville' is a bit much. They have commits from a couple of in-state players and one that is more of a volleyball player. Gotta give Coach Collen credit for doing a lot with the UL program. It will be interesting to see how Coach Walz does.

We(UK) have a lot of unknowns in the program right now due to the coaching change but we also have a lot going for us. We have a strong group of returning players, a top 10 recruiting class in our freshmen coming in, we retained our assistant coaches and added a WNBA player as an assistant. I'm sure lots of kids are waiting to see how the season plays out.

Yes, we should have a great women's basketball program at UK. The last four years we made some good progress. Let's hope the trend continues. Thanks for your interest.

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/08/07 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I'll be watchng the Cats this year, good luck!

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 08/09/07 8:25 am    ::: Must have missed something Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
We(UK) have a lot of unknowns in the program right now due to the coaching change but we also have a lot going for us. We have a strong group of returning players, a top 10 recruiting class in our freshmen coming in, we retained our assistant coaches and added a WNBA player as an assistant. I'm sure lots of kids are waiting to see how the season plays out.

REALLY?!? Top-10?!? Certainly top-25 potential, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a top-10 class.

~UK~

PostPosted: 08/09/07 8:31 am    ::: Re: Must have missed something Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

REALLY?!? Top-10?!? Certainly top-25 potential, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a top-10 class.

Yes, according to All-Star Girls Report:

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=46&url_article_id=18826&change_well_id=2

The Kentucky women’s basketball team signed four outstanding prep players to national letters-of-intent in the fall signing period, coach Mickie DeMoss announced Thursday. Catina Bett, a 6-5 center from Gadsden City High School in Gadsden, Ala., Victoria Dunlap, a 6-1 power forward of Brentwood Academy in Nashville, Tenn., Amber Smith, a 5-5 point guard of Winter Haven High School in Winter Haven, Fla., and Carly Morrow, a 5-11 guard from Chattanooga Girls Preparatory School in Chattanooga, Tenn., have signed to play for the Wildcats next season.
“I think it’s a very solid class and we are very excited about it,” DeMoss said. “The first thing we were looking for out of this class was front line players. We needed depth in the front line with Jennifer Humphrey graduating and Sarah Elliott being a senior next season. We are very excited about Victoria Dunlap and Catina Bett joining that group. Victoria is just an all-around tremendous athlete. Catina is a true center who can alter shots defensively and do things for us at that five spot, Our next priority was the point guard position. Signing Amber Smith gives us great quickness and she can distribute the ball and knock down the three. We also needed another three-point shooter with Pfeiffer’s eligibility ending next season and Carly Morrow can provide that.”

According to the All-Star Girls Report, Kentucky’s recruiting class is No. 9 nationally, marking the second top 10 and fourth consecutive top 25 recruiting class for DeMoss.

Bett, ranked as No. 2 in The Birmingham News' Super Seniors Class of 2007, was named an Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) All-Star after averaging 16.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game last season for Gadsden High School, now known as 6A Gadsden City High School after a consolidation of several local high schools. She was named second-team all-state in Class 5A by the Alabama Sports Writers Association and ranks as one of the nation’s top 50 players by ASGR. She also is a competitive volleyball player. Bett chose Kentucky over Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Mississippi State.

“She has a good presence on both ends of the floor,” DeMoss said. “She’s very mobile and agile for her size. That presence in the paint will be a key asset for for us.”

Dunlap, ranked the highest of the four recruits at No. 14 by ASGR, helped lead her high school squad to 19 consecutive wins to end her junior year, culminating in the school’s first-ever state title. She was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2006 state tournament and the team finished 26-7 overall. Dunlap averaged 14.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per game as a versatile swing player during her junior year and is ranked No. 18 by Scout/HoopGurlz.com. She also ranks in the Top 100 by the Blue Star Basketball Report. An outstanding leaper, Dunlap excelled in track and field as well. She was named the Female Track Athlete of the Year by the Tennessean after winning the state pentathlon and high jump last season. She chose Kentucky over Vanderbilt, Florida and Kansas.

“Victoria is a tremendous athlete with a great work ethic,” DeMoss said. “I think she’s multi-talented. She can shoot, take it off the dribble or post up. She will be able to really step in and help us.”

Smith is rated the top point guard in Florida by Breakdown Magazine. She is No. 38 by the ASGR. A three-year starter at point guard for Winter Haven High School, she averaged 11.0 points and an impressive 9.0 assists per game as a junior. She was named the Lakeland Ledger’s 2005-06 Girls Basketball Player of the Year after helping her team finish in the state finals of the Class 5A State Tournament last season. Winter Haven recorded a 32-2 overall record and was ranked as high as No. 15 in the USA Today poll. The Blue Devils captured the Class 4A state title in her sophomore season with a 29-1 record. In her three-year career, WHS holds a 91-5 record. She was named first-team all-state in Class 5A her junior season and a third-team all-state selection in Class 4A by the Florida Sports Writers Association her sophomore season. Smith chose Kentucky over Miami, Vanderbilt and Clemson.

“Amber is the epitome of a point guard,” DeMoss said. “She is a great leader and is quick off dribble and can shoot the three.”

Morrow, a three-sport athlete at GPS, averaged 14.0 points, 3.4 assists and 3.2 steals per game last season for Chattanooga Girls Preparatory School. Ranked No. 34 by Scout/HoopGurlz.com, Morrow helped lead her team to the semifinals of the Division II state tournament with a 22-8 overall record. She started at both the point and shooting guard positions and was a first-team all-state selection her junior year.

“I look for Carly to fill that three-point shooting void after Nastassia Alcius and Jenny Pfeiffer graduate,” DeMoss said. “She is athletic and is a three-sport athlete. She’s very intelligent and has a good mind for the game. We think she’ll be able to step in and being able to do some great things for us early.”

An all-around athlete, Morrow also competed in soccer and track. She received all-state honors in soccer and was named “Best of Preps” in both basketball and soccer. She participated in the Pentathlon at the state level in track. Her track team claimed the state title in each of the past two seasons. Morrow committed early to Kentucky and didn’t seriously consider any other schools.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 08/09/07 9:34 am    ::: Re: Must have missed something Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

Yes, according to All-Star Girls Report:

I stand corrected. Fair enough. I was basing my comment on Blue Star and HoopGurlz info. Not sure I'd ever heard of All-Star Girls Report.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 08/23/07 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Novosel was intent on going out of state. Hard to lose out on someone that wants to get away from home.
Rolling Eyes

Novosel, considered a leading candidate for this season's Miss Basketball, said she was "sort of leaning" toward Kentucky before DeMoss resigned. But she said she built a solid relationship with new coach Matthew Mitchell.

"The coaching change didn't affect it that much," she said. "I definitely respected (Mitchell) and had a good relationship with him."

But in the end, she said she preferred going out of state. Her sister Shannon Novosel, also a Lexington Catholic standout, plays basketball at Evansville.

"I liked the coaching staffs at Kentucky and Louisville," Novosel said. "I just sort of almost knew I wanted to go out of state, but Kentucky and Louisville were definitely in there until the end."

Kentucky has lost plenty of in-state recruits aside from this one. See: Louisville.

You also failed to acknowledge the part saying she was "sort of leaning" to going toward Kentucky when DeMoss was coach.

~UK~

PostPosted: 08/23/07 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Kentucky has lost plenty of in-state recruits aside from this one. See: Louisville.

You also failed to acknowledge the part saying she was "sort of leaning" to going toward Kentucky when DeMoss was coach.

You failed to acknowledge the part saying 'But she said she built a solid relationship with new coach Matthew Mitchell. ' and 'The coaching change didn't affect it that much," she said. "I definitely respected (Mitchell) and had a good relationship with him." ' and 'But in the end, she said she preferred going out of state. Her sister Shannon Novosel, also a Lexington Catholic standout, plays basketball at Evansville.' and '"I liked the coaching staffs at Kentucky and Louisville," Novosel said. "I just sort of almost knew I wanted to go out of state, but Kentucky and Louisville were definitely in there until the end." '

Mitchell just landed in state recruit Samantha Drake. He also has Chelsea Chowning, former Lexington Catholic standout and Xavier player, on the roster now.

Who did UK lose to UL? Monique Reed from LOUISVILLE, Janae Howard from Owensboro(typical UL recruiting area) and Gwen Rucker, a much better Volleyball player than basketball player from Lexington.

Current in state players on the UK roster: Sarah Elliott, Carly Ormerod, Lydia Watkins, Brittany Edelen & Jenne Jackson. Nastacia Alcius just graduated. Last year 6 of the 13 players were from Kentucky.

Can't say in state recruiting is one sided.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 08/27/07 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right, I understand that many of the current players are from Kentucky. It just seemed to me like they'd missed quite a few THIS year. I stand corrected, I guess.

Mitchell's biggest thing for recruiting is to have a solid year this year. He is unproven. If UK plays to its potential this season, I think the recruiting flood gates could open as they did for DeMoss when she landed Mahoney, Elliott, Bowman, Buley, Roddy, etc.

I hope Roddy is fully healthy this year. I thought during her sophomore year that she showed more potential than any of the other players, and that's saying something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: