RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Great intv. with Cal coach Charmin Smith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 08/14/07 8:22 pm    ::: Great intv. with Cal coach Charmin Smith Reply Reply with quote

New Cal Asst. (former Stanford player/coach) Charmin Smith talks about moving to rival Cal and what the future holds for her and the team:

http://california.scout.com/2/668168.html

Gotta say, she is one great catch for Cal! Very Happy

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/14/07 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great interview. Thanks for posting!

kage

PostPosted: 08/14/07 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yup! Just saw this one.

Awesome interview. And the other one (well, more like article) on Casey Morris -- just as sweet!!

Very Happy
Sass

PostPosted: 08/15/07 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya gotta love Charmin. I've changed careers twice in my life for the same reasons - that I felt stale and stagnant and wanted to grow. It's not the easy path at all, but it's the most fulfilling one.

It will be weird to think of her as a Bear now, but I'm looking forward to Cal's visits to the Southland this year.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/22/07 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems strange. With the Cal-Stanford rivalry, you'd think one coach from one of those schools would never go to the other school!

But I remember when Joanne Boyle was hired as the Cal head coach in 2005, she said in the press conference, "When I look at the Stanford-Cal rivalry, it's like North Carolina and Duke. Why can't Cal be a Stanford or a Duke? I don't see any reason why not."

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 08/22/07 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyle still has to prove she can recruit and compete with Stanford in that regard. Remember, the top 5 class of Gray-Lawson, Hampton and Walker was signed by Caren Horstmeyer.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/23/07 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is true. Boyle sorta lucked in with a very good recruiting class during Boyle's first season at Cal, but that was the recruiting efforts by their previous coach, Caren Horstmeyer. Unfortunately for Caren, she still couldn't win more games.

I suspect Horstmeyer's firing was a big factor why the Paris twins went to Oklahoma instead of Cal. If Cal let her on for another year, I think it's quite possible Courtney and Ashley would be starring for the Golden Bears by now.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 08/24/07 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
That is true. Boyle sorta lucked in with a very good recruiting class during Boyle's first season at Cal, but that was the recruiting efforts by their previous coach, Caren Horstmeyer. Unfortunately for Caren, she still couldn't win more games.

I suspect Horstmeyer's firing was a big factor why the Paris twins went to Oklahoma instead of Cal. If Cal let her on for another year, I think it's quite possible Courtney and Ashley would be starring for the Golden Bears by now.

Nope. Paris twins wanted out of Cali, to bible belt OU.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: