RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jack In The Box Rainbow Wahine Classic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 08/21/07 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually think Breland is a pretty serviceable player and played a nice role at the end of last season. She should have a good year alongside Larkins.

McFarland was never a truly dominant player in high school, but she was on a very stacked high school team that had about 10 potential D-1 recruits at one point. Some of the other names that come to mind- Kalika France, Antelia Parrish, Nikki Bozeman, Chauntise Wright, Kellum.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/21/07 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I'll throw the white flag. I know I probably fueled the fire here. Me and Bballfan had a misunderstanding and it's over now. Can we just try to be nice here. Let's all agree to drop the personal remarks, okay?

I apologize for being a bit testy...I'm in the process of moving and packing, so I'm a little stressed.

PostPosted: 08/22/07 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
Okay, I'll throw the white flag. I know I probably fueled the fire here. Me and Bballfan had a misunderstanding and it's over now. Can we just try to be nice here. Let's all agree to drop the personal remarks, okay?

I apologize for being a bit testy...I'm in the process of moving and packing, so I'm a little stressed.

Wow, all you did was root for your own team. Cam and bbfan2005 are Duke fans, where Coach G came from. Twisted Evil

I'm not making a further response on this. Smile Razz

PostPosted: 08/22/07 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why that was relevant. My commentary was limited to BBallfan's specific comments and other posters' sweeping generalizations which took BBall's statements out of context.

My other commentary was on Iman McFarland...

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/22/07 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Not sure why that was relevant. My commentary was limited to BBallfan's specific comments and other posters' sweeping generalizations which took BBall's statements out of context.
My other commentary was on Iman McFarland...

bballfan2005 is a big girl she doesn’t need outside commentary. Your team isn't even in this tournament last time I checked.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/22/07 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I graduated from Duke, and I am a fan of THE SPORT. So if a team isn't playing, no one can provide commentary or analysis? Rolling Eyes

gopherfan

PostPosted: 08/22/07 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I graduated from Duke, and I am a fan of THE SPORT. So if a team isn't playing, no one can provide commentary or analysis? Rolling Eyes

Wow, good for you.. As long as it's about the what it pertain to.

I'm done.. I'm throwing the white flag to.. May the best team win bballfan2005.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/22/07 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
May the best team win bballfan2005.

HARTFORD!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/22/07 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
I actually think Breland is a pretty serviceable player and played a nice role at the end of last season. She should have a good year alongside Larkins.

You seem to think rather highly of her, I see. Would you be so high on her if she didn't play for one of the so-called "Big Three" in the ACC? Just wondering, as I'm starting to see a pattern in your opinions on ACC players.

Anyway, I thought Breland stunk (for lack of a better word). Sure, she beat up on the Sacramento States and Central Carolina Techs of the women's basketball world and had one decent showing against Maryland in the ACC Tournament semis. But for a player who was considered to be one of the best incoming freshmen in her class, she laid an egg. I mean, she went from being named to Nancy Lieberman's preseason All-Freshman list (which Monica Wright was NOT on, BTW) to being relegated to the bench behind LaToya "Olive Oyl" Pringle--a player who's nowhere near as talented as she--and the aforementioned Iman McFarland. If DeWitt returns to form, then she'll too secure a spot in the rotation ahead of Breland (and McFarland, FWIW). So she might not play alongside Larkins at all unless Larkins is headed for the pine herself.

I think Duke ended up with the true NC POY from the graduating Class of 2006.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/22/07 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Certainly the one with the highest basketball IQ. I am a big fan of Joy Cheek.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 08/22/07 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Certainly the one with the highest basketball IQ. I am a big fan of Joy Cheek.

Can't not love Joy Cheek.

It's beyond the IQ. Cheek showed an improvement in multiple facets of her game throughout the season. She took herself away from the basket and became a better and better driver, which really helped the Duke offense which appeared to stagnate when neither Harding nor Waner were hitting.

Cheek, Waner, and Smith is a great core of players I love to watch that keeps me excited about Duke next season.

PostPosted: 08/23/07 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am very curious to hear more about this pattern you are detecting. That should be amusing. I won't stand in the way of your blossoming detective/profiler career, so have a go at it.

As for Breland, she averaged less than 15 minutes per game, but still managed to score 6.5 and grab 4.5 per game. She also was the team's 2nd leading shot blocker.

By comparison, Cheek averaged about a minute more per game (15.7), scored 5.3 per game, grabbed 3.8 per game, had 53 turnovers to 16 assists and blocked a total of 4 shots for the season.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 08/23/07 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Um, my post was that Kentucky and Texas could end up playing. Didn't say how. Don't care how. Didn't say it would happen. Just saying it's an interesting side note to this tournament given the DeMoss situation.

You people need tranquilizers.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/23/07 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
I am very curious to hear more about this pattern you are detecting. That should be amusing. I won't stand in the way of your blossoming detective/profiler career, so have a go at it.

Look at your avatar. Now look at the comments you've made in the past. "Crystal Langhorne is underrated." Langhorne averaged just under 15 points and 9 rebounds for a Top 15 team last season. She also has ZIPPO shooting range. Meh, I say. "Littles is a decent player who collects her fair share of garbage points". Not only did Lyndra average more points per game (17.3) than Crystal, she also averaged more rebounds per game (8.8 to 8.1) AND is a better FT shooter (indicative of shooting range). She also scored more points against Duke in one game than Langhorne scored in two combined games. But she's "decent".

Quote:
As for Breland, she averaged less than 15 minutes per game, but still managed to score 6.5 and grab 4.5 per game. She also was the team's 2nd leading shot blocker.

During ACC play (when rookies usually get WORSE), Breland averaged just under 12 minutes per game, 3.8 points, and 3.4 rebounds. She's also 6-3 to Cheek's 6-1.

Quote:
By comparison, Cheek averaged about a minute more per game (15.7), scored 5.3 per game, grabbed 3.8 per game, had 53 turnovers to 16 assists and blocked a total of 4 shots for the season.

During ACC play, Cheek averaged 15 minutes per game, 5.3 points, and 4.1 rebounds.

So, where do you turn now?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/07 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBALL, to add to your stats, Joy averaged 9 points and 5.5 rebounds in 19 minutes on 58 percent shooting in the ACC Tournament.

She also averaged around her season scoring total (5.3 points) in the NCAA Tournament (47 percent from the floor).

Joy had 6 points and 2 rebounds in the first meeting against UNC. In the second meeting, she had 8 points and 14 rebounds. She didn't score or rebound in the first meeting against Maryland, but in the second meeting, she had 4 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. She only had 4 points and 2 rebonds against Tennessee, but they were both offensive rebounds and key scores when Tennessee started to make a run in the first half.

Breland is a better leaper and just a longer physique than Joy. Joy may be closer to the ground (closer to Mistie Williams than Chante Black), but she understands body positioning. You can see her think plays before they develop. That is what I like about her. She also has a very no-nonsense game...very utility-type of player. Does a lot of little things (hitting a mid-range jumper, getting the Tamika Williams offensive stickbacks, solid defense especially when she played some 5 when Duke went with a smaller lineup at times, etc.).

She doesn't have the athleticism or upside of someone like Bridgette Mitchell, but Cheek knows what she does well...and sticks to it. It was no accident Cheek played against Tennessee, while Mitchell did not.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/23/07 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
BBALL, to add to your stats, Joy averaged 9 points and 5.5 rebounds in 19 minutes on 58 percent shooting in the ACC Tournament.

She also averaged around her season scoring total (5.3 points) in the NCAA Tournament (47 percent from the floor).

Joy had 6 points and 2 rebounds in the first meeting against UNC. In the second meeting, she had 8 points and 14 rebounds. She didn't score or rebound in the first meeting against Maryland, but in the second meeting, she had 4 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. She only had 4 points and 2 rebonds against Tennessee, but they were both offensive rebounds and key scores when Tennessee started to make a run in the first half.

Breland is a better leaper and just a longer physique than Joy. Joy may be closer to the ground (closer to Mistie Williams than Chante Black), but she understands body positioning. You can see her think plays before they develop. That is what I like about her. She also has a very no-nonsense game...very utility-type of player. Does a lot of little things (hitting a mid-range jumper, getting the Tamika Williams offensive stickbacks, solid defense especially when she played some 5 when Duke went with a smaller lineup at times, etc.).

She doesn't have the athleticism or upside of someone like Bridgette Mitchell, but Cheek knows what she does well...and sticks to it. It was no accident Cheek played against Tennessee, while Mitchell did not.

Well said, Cam. I'll extend that quote a little further. It was no accident that Cheek played the most meaningful minutes of the season for any Duke rookie in 2006-07, while Mitchell rode pine. Joy proved to be the better basketball player between herself and Bridgette despite being ranked lower by some recruiting services. At this stage in their careers, she is hands down a better basketball player than Jessica Breland. Athleticism can't teach a player how to hit perimeter jumpers or position herself properly for rebounds. Joy is the best inside-outside player Duke has had in a while, and her development factored heavily into Duke's undefeated regular season run. If Joy drops some weight next summer and continues to work on her overall game, she could possibly become a Lyndra Littles-type, minus the freak athleticism.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/07 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Joy is the best inside-outside player Duke has had in a while, and her development factored heavily into Duke's undefeated regular season run. If Joy drops some weight next summer and continues to work on her overall game, she could possibly become a Lyndra Littles-type, minus the freak athleticism.

Funny you mention this. RobC and I were trying to come up with a good player comparison for Joy. It is really difficult (if you are just looking at Duke players). She can be a physical force the way Mistie Williams was (and that is who the coaching staff wanted her to look at...Mistie's development and the ability to score on the low block). She does a lot of the inside-outside dirty work like a David McClure-type. She also does "glue" things - not scoring a lot but having a knack to hit an absolutely crucial jumper - like a Nate James.

A Lyndra Littles-type really is very good comparison.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 08/23/07 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice try

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/23/07 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Funny you mention this. RobC and I were trying to come up with a good player comparison for Joy. It is really difficult (if you are just looking at Duke players). She can be a physical force the way Mistie Williams was (and that is who the coaching staff wanted her to look at...Mistie's development and the ability to score on the low block). She does a lot of the inside-outside dirty work like a David McClure-type. She also does "glue" things - not scoring a lot but having a knack to hit an absolutely crucial jumper - like a Nate James.

A Lyndra Littles-type really is very good comparison.

Yeah, I tried to find a Duke comparison first. I did start out with Mistie Williams, but Joy is a bit more athletic and has range that Mistie never demonstrated. I looked at Brittany Hunter. Nope. Michelle Matysovsky? Nope. Iciss Tillis? Nope. I even tried comparing Joy to recent Duke men. McClure seemed like the most obvious choice, but she's got a way better offense game right now than David. The next choice: Shane Battier. I love Joy's game, but she's not worthy of the Shane Battier comparison at this stage in her career. That's when I stopped looking for a "Duke to Duke" comparison.

That's when I started taking a look at other ACC forwards. Joy has decent range, so that eliminates Langhorne and Whittington. I thought about Larkins, but she has a better defensive game than Joy has right now and appears to be more of a physical force than a finesse inside-outside combo forward. So I went with the Littles comparison based on their offensive similarities. But now that I think about it, Brooke Queenan wouldn't be a terrible comparison, either.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/23/07 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you put Alison's shooting range in Mistie Williams' body...

But I agree, it is hard to do a Duke comparison. I do like your ACC player comparisons, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: