RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Elena DellaDonne....story from Hoopgurlz...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cferraro04

PostPosted: 07/05/07 8:43 pm    ::: Elena DellaDonne....story from Hoopgurlz... Reply Reply with quote

http://hoopgurlz.com/story/delle-donne-takes-hiatus-hoops

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/05/07 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Say it ain't so...reconsider Texas Elena!!! It may be far away, but everyone knows Texas is a nice down home type place. Austin's a great city Elena, plus Gail is a great coach! Think of how you could bring this team back to a national powerhouse...think of it!!!

PostPosted: 07/06/07 4:57 am    ::: Amazing person Reply Reply with quote

Screw the recruiting ramifications. Elena comes across as one incredibly mature, caring and loving teenager. Her relationship with her family, and her older sister in particular, is truly inspirational.

I hope the break from basketball rekindles her passion for the game. And I hope this story shines a light on the pressures surrounding recruiting.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 07/06/07 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is it that UConn and Tenn. are never too far away from home?? Rolling Eyes

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
cferraro04

PostPosted: 07/06/07 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pray I am wrong...but something in the body of the article gave me the impression that she is contemplating leaving basketball altogether. Her talent and future impact on the game where ever she eventually attends are too important to let the pressure of recruiting get to her... I pray she will land where she is comfortable and is able to fulfill her goals with regards to her education and her family life. Being a UConn fan this is difficult to say but Villanova may actually be the better fit for her.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 07/06/07 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:
I pray I am wrong...but something in the body of the article gave me the impression that she is contemplating leaving basketball altogether. Her talent and future impact on the game where ever she eventually attends are too important to let the pressure of recruiting get to her... I pray she will land where she is comfortable and is able to fulfill her goals with regards to her education and her family life. Being a UConn fan this is difficult to say but Villanova may actually be the better fit for her.

Maybe you're reading a bit much into it. I think the girl just needs a break. It sounds like she is playing basketball all the time and she just needed to rest not only from the game but from the constant recruiting.

She is very smart and mature and is doing the right thing for her. Hopefully, she will come back refreshed and ready for her senior season.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/07/07 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:

I think you are reading too much into this too. The girl's still got her senior year in high school and all of the attention is starting to get to her. If she's as good as everyone says she is, it's only going to get worse as she goes on. It's smart for her to take a break for a while. But girl's like this usually have a passion for basketball and I can't see her giving it up totally. Chamique Holdsclaw and her professional career might be a rare exception to this mantra. The way the article talks, it sounds like she could seriously be considering Middle Tennessee St. That would be strange.

PostPosted: 07/07/07 10:04 am    ::: Get used to it. Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
The way the article talks, it sounds like she could seriously be considering Middle Tennessee St. That would be strange.

Well, to make it clear, EDD IS seriously considering Middle Tennessee. And the way Rick Insell is recruiting, you should get used to more top prospects seriously considering the Lady Raiders as well. Not sure why that is "strange."

MT, 'Nova, Bowling Green, GW and other top ###-majors present an interesting choice for top recruits. I think there is certainly an allure of being part of the beginning of a program's rise as opposed to joining an already established power. It's a question of perspectives. Is it better to be the best player on the 15th ranked team or the fourth best player on the #1 team?

Last edited by Stephen Shirley on 07/07/07 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
cferraro04

PostPosted: 07/07/07 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recently read an article from EDD's hometown...and she said that she seriously considered quitting basketball altogether but she opted for the 2 month hiatus. Her brother will be starting quarterback for Middle Tennessee and given her closeness to her family and her not wanting to go too far from home...I wouldn't be surprised if she went there...they were one heck of a three point shooting team last year.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/07/07 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that there would a plus going to a less high profile program......seems to me that it would be exciting to be a catalyst to propel a program to the next level....perhaps she doesn't want the pressure of playing for Tenn or UConn...perhaps she just enjoys playing the game and would like to be part of building a program....with all the controversy swirling around the Tenn/UConn scene, who would blame her? And, btw, it would be GREAT for wcbb if she chose to go elsewhere.....perhaps start a trend. Smile)

spacey

PostPosted: 07/07/07 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cferraro04 wrote:
I recently read an article from EDD's hometown...and she said that she seriously considered quitting basketball altogether but she opted for the 2 month hiatus. Her brother will be starting quarterback for Middle Tennessee and given her closeness to her family and her not wanting to go too far from home...I wouldn't be surprised if she went there...they were one heck of a three point shooting team last year.

Coming out of spring practice, EDD's brother, Gene, wasn't projected as the starter for Middle Tennessee.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 07/07/07 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
I agree that there would a plus going to a less high profile program......seems to me that it would be exciting to be a catalyst to propel a program to the next level....perhaps she doesn't want the pressure of playing for Tenn or UConn...perhaps she just enjoys playing the game and would like to be part of building a program....with all the controversy swirling around the Tenn/UConn scene, who would blame her? And, btw, it would be GREAT for wcbb if she chose to go elsewhere.....perhaps start a trend. Smile)

Some come to Texas EDD Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/07/07 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry but the latest article has EDD removing both Texas and Maryland from her list of six. She currently has and in no particular order Tenn, CT, Middle Tenn, Villanova on her list.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 07/11/07 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW, I remember seeing the story on her on ESPN a while back and thinking jeesh, this is a 15 year old girl and she being compared to Jordan???? Life cant be normal for her. Crying or Very sad

I hope we arent looking at the female basketball version of Todd Marinovich. Basically bread by his parents to be the super QB, and he just couldnt take the expectations.

Hopefully this break is good for her.

PostPosted: 07/16/07 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The family is loaded beyond belief and owns a serious amount of real estate on the I-95 corridor in Delaware. There is no pressure for her to play. She'll never have to work a day in her life. She has the ultimate freedom to do whatever the heck she wants.

I'm venturing a guess and saying that most of today's top players didn't take a summer off and kept working on their games- even when they reasons to do so. It is a grind that most people can't maintain. I have the utmost respect for the athletes in the game for many reasons, one of the biggest being the ability to show up every day and work.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/21/07 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hcu-delle-0816,0,2049178.story

Vanilla-nova or MTS?

hmmm...possible

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/21/07 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
UConn coach Geno Auriemma is not allowed to comment on specific recruits. But he understands how unpredictable the process is and has said many times that he tells recruits to look elsewhere if they are not certain they want to play for him.

Quote:
"(Coach Auriemma) wasn't happy at all when I told him," Gemelos, who added that she still has the utmost respect for UConn and its coaching staff, told the Courant. "I don't want to get into everything that was said, but he basically said that I should pray to God that I never play against his team."

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/21/07 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
WOW, I remember seeing the story on her on ESPN a while back and thinking jeesh, this is a 15 year old girl and she being compared to Jordan???? Life cant be normal for her. Crying or Very sad

I'm sure her father wouldn't have it any other way. Rolling Eyes

Look, I feel sorry for EDD because she's got to deal with the insanity that is UConn/Tennessee everywhere she goes. However, I don't feel sorry for the fact that she's being thrown "into the fire", especially considering that she and her pops generate a great deal of that hype themselves. As for being compared to Air Jordan? Laughing How many times has she dunked in a game? Won a slam dunk contest? Won a Defensive POY title? Represented Team USA in an international event? Will she ever? Never mind the fact that Jordan wasn't "His Airness" or "Air Jordan" until he actually reached the NBA. We are comparing a HS kid to a basketball legend. Oh my. Laughing

If the Delle Donnes are smart, they'll convince Elena to give Middle Tennessee State a try. At least Gene is there already. If she doesn't like it, then see if Tennessee or UConn are still interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: