RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pokey Headed to the Pros -- In Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rooky

PostPosted: 08/16/07 5:24 pm    ::: Pokey Headed to the Pros -- In Russia Reply Reply with quote

Pokey Chatman Named Head Coach of Russian All-Star Team

Aug 16, 2007 03:00 PM PDT

Former LSU Lady Tigers Head Coach Pokey Chatman has accepted a lucrative head coaching position with Spartak, a professional basketball team based in Russia, WAFB's Greg Meriwether reports. ...

http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=6943113

http://www.theledger.com/article/20070816/APS/708160926

Last edited by rooky on 08/16/07 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
potd41

PostPosted: 08/16/07 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked Good for her.

PostPosted: 08/16/07 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa. That's pretty cool. So she gets to coach Diana, Sue, LJ, and the rest?
LTF1

PostPosted: 08/16/07 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exile in Siberia--well, not Siberia exactly but Moscow. Close enough.

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
rooky

PostPosted: 08/16/07 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. "Lucrative" contract. For four months. Hardly qualifies as exile.

LTF1

PostPosted: 08/16/07 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rooky:"Hmm. "Lucrative" contract. For four months. Hardly qualifies as exile.'

Well, "lucrative" is in the eye of the beholder. Did this Russian team match her "lucrative" LSU salary?

The fact is, as of now, she can't coach in any school in the United States or in the WNBA. I must credit our daughter's godmother. She said Chatman would be off to Europe and she was right (well, sort of, a lot of Europeans like my lovely Belgian wife, don't consider Russia Europe).

The report I read has Chatman spending six months a year in Russia. I have friends who have either lived in or visited Russia and it sounds like exile to me. Now if she had landed a job in France or Italy...

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
rooky

PostPosted: 08/16/07 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
Well, "lucrative" is in the eye of the beholder. Did this Russian team match her "lucrative" LSU salary?

You're right, how lucrative is defined depends on the person. No, I don't know that they matched her LSU. Nor do you know that they didn't, either. Or maybe it's lucrative to Chatman. We don't know.

I'm not familiar with the Russian leagues, but if, as a previous poster said, she'll be coaching Taurasi, Bird and LJ, to me it sounds like a great opportunity. But we can agree to disagree on on this issue, Pokey, LSU sports, etc.

hooper1

PostPosted: 08/16/07 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the players in Russia certainly have lucrative contracts. I can't imagine the coach's contracts are any less lucrative.

Good for Pokey! She'll be coaching back in the states soon enough.

kage

PostPosted: 08/17/07 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rooky wrote:
LTF1 wrote:

You're right, how lucrative is defined depends on the person. No, I don't know that they matched her LSU. Nor do you know that they didn't, either. Or maybe it's lucrative to Chatman. We don't know.

I'm not familiar with the Russian leagues, but if, as a previous poster said, she'll be coaching Taurasi, Bird and LJ, to me it sounds like a great opportunity. But we can agree to disagree on on this issue, Pokey, LSU sports, etc.

Spartak's roster is LOADED. Last season, they had Bird AND Penichiero for their point guards, Taurasi, Tina Thompson, Lauren Jackson at the end (apparently she's playing for the whole season with D and SB though this year), Biba, Sveta. I'm not sure if Mazzante played for them last season, but she should be for this year. Osipova is also there...

Dee, Tina, Bird, LJ, Ticha (and SVETA! Very Happy)... Should be lots of fun. I hope they'll webcast games like they did for the Euroleague elim. rounds.

Btw, Rooky, I think you might find this article interesting then:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=rollinginrubles
mandih23

PostPosted: 08/17/07 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DT, TT, Bird, LJ, Mazz.... sounds lucrative to me.. Wink

PostPosted: 08/17/07 6:13 am    ::: Re: Pokey Headed to the Pros -- In Russia Reply Reply with quote

rooky wrote:
Pokey Chatman Named Head Coach of Russian All-Star Team

Aug 16, 2007 03:00 PM PDT

Former LSU Lady Tigers Head Coach Pokey Chatman has accepted a lucrative head coaching position with Spartak, a professional basketball team based in Russia, WAFB's Greg Meriwether reports. ...

http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=6943113

http://www.theledger.com/article/20070816/APS/708160926

Not "head coaching position", but "coaching position"!
Head coach is Natalia Hejkova from Slovakia (ThreeTimeEuroleagueChampion-1999,2000,2007-asHeadCoach).

rooky

PostPosted: 08/17/07 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kage, thanks for the article re: the Russian league.

Pokey's deal is likely quite "lucrative." Smile

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 08/17/07 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no doubt that Pokey will be back in the US coaching within a year or so.....at what level remains to be seen. My guess would be the WNBA.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/17/07 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I guess it's nice to know that one can bounce back so lucratively from such a major breach of trust/ethics. Actually Spartak seems like the perfect fit for her.

PostPosted: 08/17/07 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Well I guess it's nice to know that one can bounce back so lucratively from such a major breach of trust/ethics. Actually Spartak seems like the perfect fit for her.

Apparently, Spartak doesn't believe the rumors and innuendo (no breach of anything by Pokey). They just want a great coach, and they got one!

Kamala

PostPosted: 08/17/07 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if specifics of her contract will come out but word in Ama (Pokey's hometown - take it for what's it's worth) is that her deal is paying her $500K for the season. I know that housing and transportation w/a driver will be provided as well w/her Spartak contract.

I found this comment interesting from Pokey “[i]f it was just about getting back into college I would have taken the first job offer I had. I decided to be selfish and look into what fulfills me the most in every aspect."

The quote comes from here http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/9211067.html?showAll=y&c=y

PostPosted: 08/17/07 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
I don't know if specifics of her contract will come out but word in Ama (Pokey's hometown - take it for what's it's worth) is that her deal is paying her $500K for the season. I know that housing and transportation w/a driver will be provided as well w/her Spartak contract.

Good for her if this is true. On the other hand, if they're offering a half million for assistant coaches now...

Kamala

PostPosted: 08/17/07 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Kamala wrote:

Good for her if this is true. On the other hand, if they're offering a half million for assistant coaches now...

The amount of money sounds plausible especially after I read the ESPN article and the owner paid Lauren Jackson $400K for a month's work!

PostPosted: 08/17/07 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
I don't know if specifics of her contract will come out but word in Ama (Pokey's hometown - take it for what's it's worth) is that her deal is paying her $500K for the season.

That is sweet!! Especially for a half-year of work!

Kamala

PostPosted: 08/17/07 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rooky wrote:
Kamala wrote:
I don't know if specifics of her contract will come out but word in Ama (Pokey's hometown - take it for what's it's worth) is that her deal is paying her $500K for the season.

That is sweet!! Especially for a half-year of work!

I agree totally. And then she doesn't have the responsibilities of a head coach!

PostPosted: 08/18/07 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still don't get why she resigned -- either she has no ethics or, as extracted from her latest statements, she's just stupid.

None of her "she was railroaded and is totally innocent" have said anything that explain the situtation.

PostPosted: 08/18/07 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Pokey! Hopefully I'll be able to see her and the team play a few games. Great to see her coaching again and with an incredible team in a great league!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: