RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Porsha Phillips Transferring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 08/06/07 7:34 pm    ::: Porsha Phillips Transferring Reply Reply with quote

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27830&SPID=2167&ATCLID=1148137&DB_OEM_ID=5200

icey23

PostPosted: 08/06/07 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DAMNNNNNNNNNNN Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 08/06/07 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the penalties if she transfers within the conference? Isn't it an extra year or so? I'm assuming Georgia would be on her list of choices.

Grumps

PostPosted: 08/06/07 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
What are the penalties if she transfers within the conference? Isn't it an extra year or so? I'm assuming Georgia would be on her list of choices.

LSU released her...She is free to go anywhere, sit out a year, and then resume her career...

Grumps

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/07/07 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the article said something about closer to home...

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/07/07 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'd be interesting if she goes from one SEC power(LSU) to another(UGA).

PostPosted: 08/07/07 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be really awesome to get her in a DAWGS uniform. I feel great about our chances.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/07/07 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
It would be really awesome to get her in a DAWGS uniform. I feel great about our chances.

It is being reported by a Georgia student on the ESPN board she is going to Georgia. This poster posted that she was transferring before the official announcement came out, and also stated that she talked to her personally and Porshia said she is going to Georgia.

mikey87

PostPosted: 08/07/07 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

It is being reported by a Georgia student on the ESPN board she is going to Georgia. This poster posted that she was transferring before the official announcement came out, and also stated that she talked to her personally and Porshia said she is going to Georgia.

Wow well then I guess this is big.... How do you think she would fit in with the team?

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/07/07 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the seniors on LSU's current roster, Phillips had a lot of playing time to look forward to in 08-09. Maybe she sees herself as the heir apparent to Humphrey instead. She's supposed to have great upside.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/07/07 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is she a power forward or a wing?

PostPosted: 08/08/07 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

Wow well then I guess this is big.... How do you think she would fit in with the team?

On Porsha Myspace page she said she going to UGA.

PostPosted: 08/08/07 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
mikey87 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

On Porsha Myspace page she said she going to UGA.

I liked her game a lot too. She was ready to bust out for her sophomore season. If in fact, she does go to Georgia, then Andy Landers will have tons to work with.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/07 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Is she a power forward or a wing?

A little bit of both, but she doesn't have enough skill at either position to warrant playing there full-time.

To be honest, Porsha never should've been able to leave the state. LSU wasn't a good fit for her from a basketball standpoint. I guess she just wanted to play for Pokey. At least she got it right the second time around. Landers isn't an elite coach at the moment, but I'm confident that he's a much better coach than MaChelle Joseph.

Mathies to LA 2013
mikey87

PostPosted: 08/08/07 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL at Landers not being an Elite Coach , I mean he is in the Hall Of Fame. Once he wins that first championship. People will stop running their mouths about him not being an ELITE COACH.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/07 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
LOL at Landers not being an Elite Coach , I mean he is in the Hall Of Fame. Once he wins that first championship. People will stop running their mouths about him not being an ELITE COACH.

bballfan2005 wrote:
Landers isn't an elite coach at the moment

Did you not catch that part?

FWIW, here's a look at Landers' performance the past five seasons:

Code:

2002-03 21-10 10-4
2003-04 25-10 8-6
2004-05 24-10 9-5
2005-06 23-9 10-4
2006-07 27-7 11-3

Solid, but not elite. "Elite" refers to being "championship-level" (i.e. able to compete for conference/national championships). How many SEC titles has Landers won with Tasha Humphrey on board?

Mathies to LA 2013
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 08/08/07 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah it seems like Georgia is consistently a top 15 team, but they're overshadowed by their SEC counterparts and I doubt if anyone really ever considers them to be a final four favorite.

That being said, Landers is a good coach simply for being competitive year in and out in the SEC, but I agree. He needs to step it up. This is probably the best year for him to make a run at an SEC title.

PostPosted: 08/08/07 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

bballfan2005 wrote:

Code:

2002-03 21-10 10-4
2003-04 25-10 8-6
2004-05 24-10 9-5
2005-06 23-9 10-4
2006-07 27-7 11-3

Solid, but not elite. "Elite" refers to being "championship-level" (i.e. able to compete for conference/national championships). How many SEC titles has Landers won with Tasha Humphrey on board?

Yeah, And I'm saying he is...

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 08/09/07 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

bballfan2005 wrote:

Code:

2002-03 21-10 10-4
2003-04 25-10 8-6
2004-05 24-10 9-5
2005-06 23-9 10-4
2006-07 27-7 11-3

And I'm agreeing. Georgia has been one of the most consistently STRONG if not outstanding programs over the last couple of decades.

Part of why Humphrey hasn't won an SEC title has to do with the other tremendous players who come into the conference. She is contending with teams like LSU and Tenn who have had elite coaches themselves and while Georgia may not have the same level of success as Tenn or LSU, it has an elite coach.

If Landers wants to prove me right, this is looking like the season to do it.

Returning sophomore starting PG who is well respected and played with Team USA. Returning sophomores Christy Marshall and Angel Robinson who both have shown signs of being able to take over a game. Returning forward Meghan Darrah who is a solid role player and Sidney Spencer-esque. Solid incoming freshmen class and other returning role players. Finally, should be returning a first team All-American caliber and first-tier hunger player in Tasha Humphrey. It's time for her to get hers.

PostPosted: 08/09/07 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
mikey87 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
mikey87 wrote:

bballfan2005 wrote:

Code:

2002-03 21-10 10-4
2003-04 25-10 8-6
2004-05 24-10 9-5
2005-06 23-9 10-4
2006-07 27-7 11-3

And I'm agreeing. Georgia has been one of the most consistently STRONG if not outstanding programs over the last couple of decades.

Part of why Humphrey hasn't won an SEC title has to do with the other tremendous players who come into the conference. She is contending with teams like LSU and Tenn who have had elite coaches themselves and while Georgia may not have the same level of success as Tenn or LSU, it has an elite coach.

If Landers wants to prove me right, this is looking like the season to do it.

Returning sophomore starting PG who is well respected and played with Team USA. Returning sophomores Christy Marshall and Angel Robinson who both have shown signs of being able to take over a game. Returning forward Meghan Darrah who is a solid role player and Sidney Spencer-esque. Solid incoming freshmen class and other returning role players. Finally, should be returning a first team All-American caliber and first-tier hunger player in Tasha Humphrey. It's time for her to get hers.

Agreed....

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 08/09/07 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Official

http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=1149297

Quote:
Porsha Phillips, a native of Stone Mountain, Ga., where she was a prep All-American at Redan High, has been admitted to the University of Georgia and will continue her collegiate basketball career with the Lady Bulldogs, head coach Andy Landers announced on Thursday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: