RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pan Am Games- USA cruising, Marissa leads balanced attack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:01 pm    ::: Pan Am Games- USA cruising, Marissa leads balanced attack Reply Reply with quote

Should be no surprise that the U.S. is cruising its way through the Pan Am games thus far. Went a perfect 3-0 in group play, knocking off defending gold medalist Cuba last night. Also should be no surprise that I'm bragging about Marissa Coleman's performance. She's a very rare player and a terrific person. I'm guessing there are more of those on the roster as well. Link to story:

http://usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=07_wpag_game3

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:07 pm    ::: Re: Pan Am Games- USA cruising, Marissa leads balanced attac Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
Should be no surprise that the U.S. is cruising its way through the Pan Am games thus far. Went a perfect 3-0 in group play, knocking off defending gold medalist Cuba last night. Also should be no surprise that I'm bragging about Marissa Coleman's performance. She's a very rare player and a terrific person. I'm guessing there are more of those on the roster as well. Link to story:

http://usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=07_wpag_game3

Should be no surprise? In case you didn't know this, the US has not done well at the Pan Am games in women's hoops.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair enough, but I'm not sure we always sent the best group. I could easily be wrong on that one. This bunch is pretty loaded. And really, which nation of our western hemisphere friends is really any good on a consistent basis? In women's sports, we hold such a massive advantage in development and funding that it is hard for others to compete. Not to mention a place like Cuba's size/population base compared to ours.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair enough, but I'm not sure we always sent the best group.

We weren't able to this year either....because our "best" group is currently playing the WNBA. Not only that, but with both FIBA U21 & the Pan Ams taking place this summer, the USA collegiate stars had to be split into two teams (with Candace Wiggins being the only player to do double-duty).

They did a fabulous job in Moscow and IMO whether they win a Gold in Rio tomorrow or not, they've certainly shown from their performance so far that the future of USA basketball is very bright. Lots of young talent out there!

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great thoughts! The Pan Am games are interesting in that the US doesn't seem to send its "best" team in multiple sports. Great experience for the ones that do go. And our depth in WBB right now is pretty amazing.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA squad for the 2003 Pan Am Games:

Jenni Benningfield
Rebekkah Brunson
Jamie Carey
Roneeka Hodges
Laurie Koehn
Janel McCarville
Loree Moore
Nicole Powell
Ann Strother
Lindsay Taylor
Iciss Tillis
Barbara Turner

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how would you compare that squad?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With what?

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 07/23/07 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this current edition

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 07/23/07 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you take out the 2008 draft hype factor and pro success (or lack thereof), you'll see that the two squads are about the same WRT talent and collegiate success. Perhaps the 2007 Pan-Am team is a bit more athletic.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: