RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA U21 Women Overcome 16-Point Deficit over Aussies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 07/08/07 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
France’s Sandrine Gruda, who was 1-of-8 today in the bronze medal game against Russia, earned the tournament’s MVP trophy.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=07_wu21_game_08_story

Shocked Shocked Shocked

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/08/07 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Quote:
France’s Sandrine Gruda, who was 1-of-8 today in the bronze medal game against Russia, earned the tournament’s MVP trophy.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=07_wu21_game_08_story

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well, that quote is decieving. Gruda had a lot of great games. I think she deserved it. The USA is just too deep to have an MVP.

PostPosted: 07/08/07 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Well, that quote is decieving. Gruda had a lot of great games. I think she deserved it. The USA is just too deep to have an MVP.

too deep to have an MVP? Shocked Shocked

so in the WNBA championships and the NCAA championships and all the other major tournaments won by deep, talented teams, we should award the MVP to somebody from a team that got upset in an earlier round, on the basis of your theory that nobody on the roster of the winners is deserving of the honor, because their team is "too deep". sorry, I ain't buying it. Rolling Eyes

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/08/07 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

so in the WNBA championships and the NCAA championships and all the other major tournaments won by deep, talented teams, we should award the MVP to somebody from a team that got upset in an earlier round, on the basis of your theory that nobody on the roster of the winners is deserving of the honor, because their team is "too deep". sorry, I ain't buying it. Rolling Eyes

Lang didn't lead her team in scoring every game like Gruda did. And believe me, I LOVE Crystal. One of my faves, but one could say France need Gruda more than the USA needed Lang. That's just my take...

PostPosted: 07/08/07 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Lang didn't lead her team in scoring every game like Gruda did. And believe me, I LOVE Crystal. One of my faves, but one could say France need Gruda more than the USA needed Lang. That's just my take...

Gruda didn't either...three games in fact, she wasn't even in the top 3 scorers for the French team. Still, I agree with O][K. Wiggins could just have easily been the MVP for team USA.

PostPosted: 07/08/07 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Gruda didn't either...three games in fact, she wasn't even in the top 3 scorers for the French team. Still, I agree with O][K. Wiggins could just have easily been the MVP for team USA.

Well, in her defense, two of those three games(against Mali and Belgium), weren't that close, so her team wanted to rest her. But yeah, the USA is so deep that it's hard to pick one, and usually when it comes to MVP, they usually pick the player that carries their team. Again, I do not mean to demean what Crystal did. She had a stellar tourney. But Gruda deserved it.

PostPosted: 07/09/07 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Well, in her defense, two of those three games(against Mali and Belgium), weren't that close, so her team wanted to rest her. But yeah, the USA is so deep that it's hard to pick one, and usually when it comes to MVP, they usually pick the player that carries their team. Again, I do not mean to demean what Crystal did. She had a stellar tourney. But Gruda deserved it.

yeah, they rested her, the way the USA team rested Lang...in several games after she helped the USA build large leads. Crystal started every game. She made major contributions in every game...particularly in every situation where the USA team was at all threatened. Gruda averaged almost 8 more minutes a game...so she scored more ppg (but not if you extrapolate both players out to 40 minutes, btw...Lang would get the edge) Lang led the most talented team in the world in both scoring and in rebounding. think about that...both scoring and rebounding! if Wiggins had led the scoring and Paris had led the rebounding, that might support your argument. But a single player on what we all agree is the most talented team in the world led in both categories. that's incredible. not to mention, as the FIBA reporter said, Lang played an "amazing" game in the gold medal round....nothing like the 1 for 8 that Gruda put up in the Bronze medal game, against a weaker team than the Aussies. I'd be willing to bet Lang's teammates all thought she'd get the award. Harper even said so. I don't think the team would've had any problem picking "one" as you seem to think. They know Lang had an awesome tournament. I think they were probably very disappointed that after that near perfect tournament their leading scorer/rebounder and co-captain got passed over for a 3rd place finisher. Sorry we have to disagree so strongly on this, but, in my book, finishing 3rd does not warrant an MVP award. No way.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/09/07 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a PHOTO GALLERY from USABasketball.com. There are some really good pictures.

PostPosted: 07/09/07 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the great link, Krush!

PostPosted: 07/10/07 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing I love about the FIBA championships is they give Medals to the Coaches!!! They earned it, too. It bothers me that in the Olympics they don't do that. In team sports, coaches should get them IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: