RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

3rd Cal assistant coach...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/07/07 11:46 pm    ::: 3rd Cal assistant coach... Reply Reply with quote

Per Hoopgurlz.com:

"First Cal got Charmin Smith from Stanford and now they have snatched one of our WBB Club Circuit regulars in Kevin Morrrison. Best of luck to Kevin at Cal and helping Coach Boyle build on the rising program that exists today.

Just to squash the rumors up front, all the West Coast Elite teams will stay the same but with a different head coach of the Black team and someone else within the program running and owning it."

Seems like Cal is going to be doing some serious recruiting in their own backyard. Smile Ashley Gayle has Cal on her list and now Cal has her coach....can't hurt.

kage

PostPosted: 06/08/07 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oooh. Sounds like a great choice! Very Happy
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/12/07 7:18 pm    ::: Here's the official release on Kevin Morrison Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Cal!!!
http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061207aaa.html

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 06/13/07 4:17 pm    ::: Re: 3rd Cal assistant coach... Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Seems like Cal is going to be doing some serious recruiting in their own backyard. Smile Ashley Gayle has Cal on her list and now Cal has her coach....can't hurt.

Actually, it could.

While it's entirely possible that Gayle ends up at Cal, what happens if she doesn't? Sure, it's nice to have an individual on the staff who is a former AAU coach. But how can that person further develop the talent currently on the squad without former coaching experience at the NCAA level? It's one thing to acquire the talent. It's another thing to actually develop the talent.

Maybe it's just me, but hiring a former AAU coach isn't the way to go for an up-and-coming program that wants to join the elite ranks. Sure, recruiting will improve in the short-term. But the best way to improve recruiting is by winning big games, particularly in the postseason.

Mathies to LA 2013
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/13/07 11:13 pm    ::: Re: 3rd Cal assistant coach... Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

Actually, it could.

While it's entirely possible that Gayle ends up at Cal, what happens if she doesn't? Sure, it's nice to have an individual on the staff who is a former AAU coach. But how can that person further develop the talent currently on the squad without former coaching experience at the NCAA level? It's one thing to acquire the talent. It's another thing to actually develop the talent.

Maybe it's just me, but hiring a former AAU coach isn't the way to go for an up-and-coming program that wants to join the elite ranks. Sure, recruiting will improve in the short-term. But the best way to improve recruiting is by winning big games, particularly in the postseason.

Actually reading the press release it makes sense that Kevin will be focusing on the camp development at Cal (an area that needs improvement)....I think that Cal want to develop links to players in the Cal/West and someone with connections in that area will be a good thing for the program. Cal needs to attract/recruit some of the local talent that leaves the state or heads to SoCal....

It really doesn't matter if Gayle comes to Cal...i think they will land some top recruits during the next couple years and the program will continue to improve (on the court)....

Also, remember Kevin will be the third assistant.....with Lindsay Gottleib and now Charmin Smith on board, Cal has some excellent NCAA-seasoned coaches to work along side Boyle.....

I don't think Kevin was hired to bring one recruit to Cal. I think he was hired because he knows the game, the kids, and how to build a great summer camp program at Cal.....all things that will lead to a stronger program at Cal...

Just my two cents... Surprised (I'm no expert, just a silly fan btw)

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/19/07 9:32 pm    ::: article on two new assistants... Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dailycal.org/sharticle.php?id=25260

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/22/07 8:31 am    ::: Cal making waves article on coaching changes and wbb stuff Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/06/21/SPG3BQIS8K1.DTL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: