RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Male coaches in SEC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDog22

PostPosted: 05/26/07 10:34 pm    ::: Male coaches in SEC Reply Reply with quote

Interesting comment about DeMoss and Ross and this writer's opinion that they buckled under pressure.

Not sure I agree with that.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/gvx_columnists/article/0,1406,KNS_18619_5557327,00.html

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/27/07 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like it's a pay site. Can you give the jist of the article?

They departed under different circumstances but both had brought success in their respective programs.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 05/27/07 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry....here's the excerpt I was referring to:

Quote:
Georgia's Andy Landers is no longer the only man standing in SEC women's basketball. Three of the league's four new coaches are men: Tom Collen at Arkansas, Van Chancellor at LSU, and former Tennessee assistant Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky.

That signals a dramatic turnaround in a sport where men have found it increasingly difficult to get head coaching jobs. It should be easier after what happened at Ole Miss and Kentucky.

Ole Miss coach Carol Ross and Kentucky coach Mickie DeMoss resigned after successful, though brief, four-year runs as head coaches.

"I just need some time to myself," DeMoss said.

Ross said she was a "sprinter in a marathon race."

Translation: Both coaches buckled under the demands of the job.

Something every athletic director should ask himself: When's the last time a male coach complained of burnout after four years?

I don't know if this is just John Adams - Knoxville News, opinion or if this perception is gaining more of a stronghold among AD's?

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/27/07 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'Something every athletic director should ask himself: When's the last time a male coach complained of burnout after four years? '

What a sexist remark. Shocked Similar thinking in those that look the other way when male coaches get caught in compromising situations with players but scream bloody murder when a female coach does the same. Rolling Eyes

It sounds like Carol Ross was up front with the folks at Ole Miss from the beginning about how long she'd probably be around. If the writer had done his homework he would know that Coach DeMoss has been in coaching(as a head coach and assistant) probably longer than he's been alive. She had set a goal of re-evaluating her life after 30 years in coaching and I think it's tremendous that she could do that.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 05/27/07 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I, for one, prefer to see women coach wcbb.... it's not to say I don't think men should, but, all things being equal, I'd opt for the woman.

I think it's a load of crap to say the women couldn't cut it, burned out, etc.....their choices for leaving were personal. I applaud them for knowing when it was time to call it quits rather than coach and not enjoy it. I call that being honest with themselves and their players.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 05/28/07 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree UK. His tone hit me wrong. It sounded to me as he was basically saying that "only a man could handle the job". I think that's a load of sh*t.

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/28/07 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
I, for one, prefer to see women coach wcbb.... it's not to say I don't think men should, but, all things being equal, I'd opt for the woman.

I agree CalwbbFan. Girls need women as role models and coaching is an ideal place to see that.

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/28/07 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
I agree UK. His tone hit me wrong. It sounded to me as he was basically saying that "only a man could handle the job". I think that's a load of sh*t.

Just when you think we're making some strides, articles like this make you realize we may not be. Crying or Very sad

fhire

PostPosted: 05/31/07 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the remark was a sexiest one no doubt! However, I do believe that men have a place on the women's side as well! Their are a lot of men behind the success of many programs some of note Jeff Walz formerly of U.Md great recruiter and x and o guy. Starkey at LSU great teacher of the game, Al Brown Duke post player development guru, Jeff Smith Pitt outstanding recruiter and teacher and the list could just go on Quinton Hillsman Head Coach Syracuse excellent guard development and recruiter. So many good men in the game how could you overlook them if your looking for the best fit! All men aren't trying to get into girls paints! Most are trying to feed their own families!

Last edited by fhire on 05/31/07 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 05/31/07 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hiring male coaches is not necessarily a bad thing for the women's game(although I question the Van Chancellor hiring) especially when you've got such exemplary figures as Andy Landers and Geno.

This writer just has very little class is all and was editorializing when it was not called for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: