RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WHY HASN'T CTHSKZF BEEN BANNED FROM THIS SITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 05/05/07 6:09 pm    ::: Re: WHY HASN'T CTHSKZF BEEN BANNED FROM THIS SITE Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
frogdog wrote:
His remarks are harmful degrading hurtful. He has called the RU women's basketball team Ho's
Where is the administrations respect for these young women?
Why do you permit this on your board?

Ah..I've known plenty of people like CTH..

They are funny, once you get it. He's blunt, and he'll pick on everyone..an equal opportunity basher...heck, he'll even pick on his own team. Laughing

Just like Imus. 'Cept Imus lost his freakin Job Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 05/05/07 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is, overall, a great board. But there does seem to be selective censorship. I generally think it's a bad idea to ban anyone on a board -- unless they're threatening harm to another poster or being consistently racist, homophobic, etc. Then again, it's Reb's board.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/05/07 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i DID NOT call them hos.

maybe you should be banned for lying. Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/06/07 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His remarks are harmful degrading hurtful. He has called the RU women's basketball team Ho's
Where is the administrations respect for these young women?
Why do you permit this on your board?

Maybe they should ban you for your inability to comprehend what you read.

sambista

PostPosted: 05/06/07 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
This is, overall, a great board. But there does seem to be selective censorship. I generally think it's a bad idea to ban anyone on a board -- unless they're threatening harm to another poster or being consistently racist, homophobic, etc. Then again, it's Reb's board.

i can't speak for reb, but i think he has demonstrated over time that he's disinclined to interfere in what we do on the board - to his credit. but over the few years we've been here, our little society has developed a collective ethic, if you will (and it's constantly shifting), something i admire as much as i find it fascinating as a social dynamic. this is how threads wind up in the yellow river - when reb perceives that enough people are disturbed by how they have disrupted the usually good flow of the board.

though some didn't agree with admiral's banning, i think there was enough of a swell of disapproval that his banning was welcomed. there certainly wasn't a swell of protest that he was banned.

one of the things i love about this board is not only that we have, as a message board society, established our own collective ethic, but that reb has struck that delicate balance between freedom on the board and abuse of it.

PostPosted: 05/06/07 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with admiral's posts, so I'm not sure which way I would have swelled. Very Happy I'm curious to know what you think the collective ethic is here. One of my studies is to look at how collectives make decisions. Do you think the common understanding has been reached more organically? more under Reb's hand? more out of one or more persuasive posters' own ideas of "the way things should be"?

PostPosted: 05/06/07 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
I'm not familiar with admiral's posts, so I'm not sure which way I would have swelled. Very Happy I'm curious to know what you think the collective ethic is here. One of my studies is to look at how collectives make decisions. Do you think the common understanding has been reached more organically? more under Reb's hand? more out of one or more persuasive posters' own ideas of "the way things should be"?

gosh, purdue, i'm not sure i can characterize it intelligently. honestly. organically? i'm not even sure what that means to anyone at any given time. but that may be closer than your other two suggestions. under reb's hand? no, except to the extent that we know that reb has no rules, except when something ruffles the collective feathers. is that organic? persuasive posters? no. i think we've seen examples that disprove that idea. but this board did grow out of five things that quickly come to mind: 1. the shutdown of the msnbc board, a nomadic wandering over to the espn board and a distaste for it (for whatever reason); 2. the purely technical failure of the new(er) espn board - in that frequently you couldn't access it or post to it; 3. a distaste for the uncontrolled throng of trolls on the espn board; 4. a distaste for the uncontrolled nastiness on the espn board; 5. the selective overcontrol of what was being posted on the espn board.

so the first of us nomads who came to rest here at reb's - stopping at a wonderful waystation managed by stever, until the hosting company demanded money - came, i think, looking for a board where we could post in peace, free of inconsistent administrators, trolls, unpleasant controversies and censorship . . . a kinder, gentler place, in my view.

i think, on the whole, we embrace freedom of speech, but you'll notice "we" tend to have a low tolerance for verbal abuse, gratuitous foul language, disrespect. and that comes from our history. imo, reb judiciously divines when someone or something has crossed the collective line, and only then does he intervene.

PostPosted: 05/06/07 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts, sebib. I continue to believe that some posters seem to "get away" with things that you yourself mention that the collective generally doesn't like more than some others "get away" with things. But again, this is Reb's call.

PostPosted: 05/06/07 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, sebib. I continue to believe that some posters seem to "get away" with things that you yourself mention that the collective generally doesn't like more than some others "get away" with things. But again, this is Reb's call.

curious, what do you mean by get away? Not go to yellow river? Still be allowed to post?

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 05/06/07 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm talking about the yellow river whoosh that some posts and threads get.

PostPosted: 05/06/07 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
I'm talking about the yellow river whoosh that some posts and threads get.

okay, because I think everyone that says things that are on the edge has ended up there at various times. Maybe some of the posts are overlooked, but I think IMO the real irksome posts end up there pretty frequently.

hooper1

PostPosted: 05/07/07 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
If you don't like CTH's posts, don't read them. I happen to find him very humorous and entertaining.

I love it when people suggest that if you just ignore something, everything will be ok.

What's that quote... If you're outraged, you're not paying attention?

sbjules

PostPosted: 05/09/07 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't weighed in because I thought it was obvious--we love CtH!! We that used to post on the old "private" espn board at least.

Grumps

PostPosted: 05/09/07 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
I haven't weighed in because I thought it was obvious--we love CtH!! We that used to post on the old "private" espn board at least.

We love is a little strong... Very Happy

Grumps

sbjules

PostPosted: 05/09/07 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
We love is a little strong...

Grumps

You're right, grumps. Just a little over the top Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: