RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DL Hughley On Rugters Women's Basketball Team - Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/04/07 5:05 am    ::: DL Hughley On Rugters Women's Basketball Team - Video Reply Reply with quote

<object width="425" height="350"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIqD1GCvedw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

PostPosted: 05/04/07 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Few things are sadder than watching a black man insult black women for the amusement of a white man. Unless, as in the previous thread, it's reading that (some) white men think it's not only all right, but it's funny. I think that what Imus said was bad form; what Hughley said was far worse.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 05/04/07 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
I think that what Imus said was bad form; what Hughley said was far worse.

Yeah, the ironic thing is that if I were on the Rutgers team, I'd be more hurt by what Hughley said than by what Imus said.

But then again, I'm white.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 05/04/07 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

Yeah, the ironic thing is that if I were on the Rutgers team, I'd be more hurt by what Hughley said than by what Imus said.

That's not ironic. Once this video gets spread all over the place, you'll find that's how many black women feel. Black women have been saying for generations that disrespect from black men cuts far deeper than anything a white man could ever say.

D.L.'s about to get the Wesley Snipes treatment. Hate to say it, but his pandering to the white audience (who he knows damn well aren't going to turn to BET for his asinine show) is going to bite him in the ass among the people who've actually supported his half ass career.
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 05/04/07 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

That's not ironic. Once this video gets spread all over the place, you'll find that's how many black women feel. Black women have been saying for generations that disrespect from black men cuts far deeper than anything a white man could ever say.

D.L.'s about to get the Wesley Snipes treatment. Hate to say it, but his pandering to the white audience (who he knows damn well aren't going to turn to BET for his asinine show) is going to bite him in the ass among the people who've actually supported his half ass career.

Well said.

Kamala

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

I'm sorry I have to disagree. DL is a comedian while Don Imus is not. I think DL and Imus are coming from two different places when talking about the Rutgers players. DL has always talked about everybody's physical makeup so this is no surprise and I don't believe he was "Tomming up" for white folks either. While Don Imus is no comedian and has a long history of making derogatory statements about Blacks specifically Black mens' penises, gays, all women, and Jews. What DL said was simply the truth; something that people have been saying in private. The way some of the posters are going you won't be able to say somebody is ugly! I don't think it's disrespectful to say someone is ugly. It is hurtful but not disrespectful.

Lastly, if Black women are outraged at this then as a Black man I must say it's official that U.S. Blacks have gone to shit. There is too much Black-on-Black crime, illiteracy, drug use, lack of Black institutions, false prophet preachers, and just overall irresponsible behavior amongst Black folks that leads to death for me to worry about Don Imus let alone DL Hughley.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Few things are sadder than watching a black man insult black women for the amusement of a white man. Unless, as in the previous thread, it's reading that (some) white men think it's not only all right, but it's funny. I think that what Imus said was bad form; what Hughley said was far worse.

C'mon now. DL talks about everybody no matter what he's on. This had nothing to do with Jay Leno or a white audience.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:

C'mon now. DL talks about everybody no matter what he's on. This had nothing to do with Jay Leno or a white audience.

So does Don Imus....but it sure had an impact didn't it?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala...you obviously never heard Imus's early work as the Right Reverend Billy Sol Hargis, based in Del Rio, TX.

My brother had those records, and we would laugh till our sides hurt...knowing full well what bad taste the humor was against Christians.

Imus's remark regarding the Rutgers' Ladies Basketball team was made during a comedic dialog with another character (actually producer), and he needed to check himself before he said it, yes...but, it was said for humor's sake, dovetailing off what someone else said, after flowing out of making fun with the Spike Lee reference. The whole thing mushroomed...Hughley's remarks were matter of fact, and I think would be far more hurtful to black women. Did D.L. even reference the women's maturity in responding to the situation? Did he praise their accomplishment of advancing to the Championship game, in spite of a woeful beginning to their season??

PostPosted: 05/04/07 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

I'm sorry I have to disagree. DL is a comedian while Don Imus is not. I think DL and Imus are coming from two different places when talking about the Rutgers players. DL has always talked about everybody's physical makeup so this is no surprise and I don't believe he was "Tomming up" for white folks either. While Don Imus is no comedian and has a long history of making derogatory statements about Blacks specifically Black mens' penises, gays, all women, and Jews. What DL said was simply the truth; something that people have been saying in private. The way some of the posters are going you won't be able to say somebody is ugly! I don't think it's disrespectful to say someone is ugly. It is hurtful but not disrespectful.

Lastly, if Black women are outraged at this then as a Black man I must say it's official that U.S. Blacks have gone to shit. There is too much Black-on-Black crime, illiteracy, drug use, lack of Black institutions, false prophet preachers, and just overall irresponsible behavior amongst Black folks that leads to death for me to worry about Don Imus let alone DL Hughley.

This whole post illustrated my point. Thanks.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/04/07 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll agree with harlem, there Kamala. And you clearly know shit about Don Imus, who has written and done comedy for years.

Allow me, a white man, to clearly state to you, that I have a better clue about reality than you do.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/04/07 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

I'm sorry I have to disagree. DL is a comedian while Don Imus is not.

Imus is not a STAND UP comedian, although he is very capable as one. (See Washington Correspondent's Dinner in 1986) But Imus is most certainly a COMEDIAN nevertheless and has been one since LONG before DL Hughley was. His stock in trade was comedy before it morphed into political discourse.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Imus is not a STAND UP comedian, although he is very capable as one. (See Washington Correspondent's Dinner in 1986) But Imus is most certainly a COMEDIAN nevertheless and has been one since LONG before DL Hughley was. His stock in trade was comedy before it morphed into political discourse.

dtsnms wrote:
I'll agree with harlem, there Kamala. And you clearly know shit about Don Imus, who has written and done comedy for years.

Exclamation But it's far easier to get your info from half ass media accounts and formulate an opinion based on those.
Kamala

PostPosted: 05/04/07 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

dtsnms wrote:

Exclamation But it's far easier to get your info from half ass media accounts and formulate an opinion based on those.

Now, we're getting into a debate about what's comedy and what's not. I do know that Imus' show leaned more into political discourse than comedy. AND, I KNOW A RACIST WHEN I SEE/HEAR ONE AND DON IMUS IS A RACIST! I'm sorry I WILL NOT AGREE WITH ANY ONE THAT FEELS IMUS' COMMENTS AND DL HUGHLEY'S COMMENTS ARE ONE IN THE SAME.

Furthermore, when have white men needed lessons from Black men to disrespect Black women? Someone, anyone answer that for me? I'm not falling for the okey doke, white men like Imus have been calling Black women "bs", "hoes", "sluts," and the like long before Rap music was even a thought. How do you think U.S. Blacks got to be a mulatto people? Do you think it was largely love or rape? Imus' whole Rap music/Black people use it is an excuse and nothing more.

PostPosted: 05/04/07 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you believe that somebody beat me to this on YouTube. Why did I spend like three hours doing this last night? Why didn't that person's clip show up in the search engines or on Youtube's own search engine? I searched for Hughley on YouTube. Nothing from this Tonight Show appearance. He must have posted his clip at the exact moment I started my own process.

I want my three hours back. Mad

My clip is better though. Wink This person's is much longer, however, if you want to see much more.

Here's a quote.

"93% percent of black people in this country are killed by other black people. (uh... DL... that would be a genocide, but we know what you meant.) One in three black people in this country can't read. And more black men are in prisons than in college. But we went after Don Imus. We finally got the one white guy that was responsible for holding us back."

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: