RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

coach P. to Duke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koopster

PostPosted: 04/18/07 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Joey Nations"]I have to agree with Cam just because you know the game it doesn't make you a coach. Vitale and Lee Corso haven't had job offers in over 10 years and they are considered the experts in the field.

Don't know about McCallie, but the 6'9 girl fell in her lap. She wanted to play close to home and the division didn't matter.[/quote]

I know quite a bit about her personal recruitment...you couldn't be more incorrect. What most people also do not know is how good of a post coach Al Brown is or as a judge of post talent. To imply she (or most 'sleeper' prospects for any program) just fell in her lap is downright silly.

lzrdgrl

PostPosted: 04/18/07 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
stever wrote:
MSU has a great replacement already on staff:
http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/brown_al00.html

It's Al time! Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Where's that jumping up & down like I'm about to pee myself emoticon when you need it Exclamation

From what I hear Al is coming to Durham along with the rest of the staff.

Hoops24/7

PostPosted: 04/18/07 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, so I've had some time to sit with this and I'm feeling less disappointed in her than I had originally. Yes, I do feel bad for the players left behind, but this is a fantastic opportunity. I know that Boyle turned it down, and I certainly respect her loyalty and her decision to build something at Cal. But it also seems patently clear that at Duke she's more likely to compete for championships on a yearly basis. I think that this is perhaps the only job that I could "forgive her" (because of course my judgement on the matter is so very important) for taking.

Bottom line: I like her immensely; I have great respect for her intelligence; she has routinely gotten the most out of her players (the 2005 national runner-up team is a great example of overachievers); her players have always held her in great esteem. MSU, I mean absolutely no disrespect in this post. I just think that Duke is the sort of opportunity that it would be incredibly difficult to pass up.

I look forward to seeing her in the coming year, and I hope that MSU has a great season as well. I do wonder how many--if any--of her staff will be coming w/ her, including the new person?

PostPosted: 04/19/07 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Duke was going to hold their coaching position open say...the next ten years...Kara's name can come off the table now as a name to toss around for kicks. Just sayin.... Wink

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this played out...interesting as all get out tho... (um, the McCallie move, not the Kara Lawson name being bandied about like she didn't already have a job which she is reportedly has arrived in Sacramento to resume and a contract extension... Shocked hmmmm, on second thought.... Wink

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 04/19/07 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Koopster"]
Joey Nations wrote:
I have to agree with Cam just because you know the game it doesn't make you a coach. Vitale and Lee Corso haven't had job offers in over 10 years and they are considered the experts in the field.

Don't know about McCallie, but the 6'9 girl fell in her lap. She wanted to play close to home and the division didn't matter.[/quote]

I know quite a bit about her personal recruitment...you couldn't be more incorrect. What most people also do not know is how good of a post coach Al Brown is or as a judge of post talent. To imply she (or most 'sleeper' prospects for any program) just fell in her lap is downright silly.

From the newswire when DeHaan signed last year:

Michigan State's women's basketball program has landed two verbal commitments; the Spartans will sign 6-8 Grandville High School senior Alyssa DeHaan. She averaged 26 points and 13 rebounds last season. DeHaan wanted to stay close to home and only considered Grand Rapids area schools Grand Valley State and Cornerstone besides Michigan State.

If that's not landing in someone's lap then I need to re-examine the definition.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
timber

PostPosted: 04/19/07 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
One of Cam's assistants (Timber) was though. I'm thinking our crew's got this. Laughing

I'm telling you, my staff is ON IT.

bballfan2005 wrote:
Timber's way ahead of the game, thank goodness! We're in good shape. Very Happy

Well then can I get a raise?

PostPosted: 04/19/07 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:
One of Cam's assistants (Timber) was though. I'm thinking our crew's got this. Laughing

As long as you bring Carrem Gay's friends and some more NYC kids to Duke. You get a raise per commitment.

timber

PostPosted: 04/19/07 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
timber wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

As long as you bring Carrem Gay's friends and some more NYC kids to Duke. You get a raise per commitment.

In that case I can get you anything but post players unless you're forcing me to recruit on Long Island too.

I've been told that you're going to have to improve the party scene at Duke but that the fact that they're building new facilities is a good start on the basketball end.

I wouldn't know about the party scene from personal experience though....I partied at NC State and A&T whenever I was down Carolina way which was rare considering I was already in the college capital of the world w/r/t parties. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/19/07 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
In that case I can get you anything but post players unless you're forcing me to recruit on Long Island too.

You can let KBA keep Long Island. It isn't like you are going to get a Kia Vaughn out there. Danielle Wilson is a very poor reproduction of Carrem Gay.

Smile

timber

PostPosted: 04/19/07 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
timber wrote:

You can let KBA keep Long Island. It isn't like you are going to get a Kia Vaughn out there. Danielle Wilson is a very poor reproduction of Carrem Gay.

Smile

I know. Long Islanders also have a complex when it comes to their kids. It's like they have to shove it down your throat when they actually do get a good player.

They're hyping up this Huber kid and although she's been injured, I'm just not impressed.

They still have yet to show me a real player since Kia Wright.

The desperate ones always try and claim Brooklyn and Queens when they realize they can't hang with the city in the player debates. It's actually quite sad to listen to, but if KBA followed that flawed logic, maybe she'd stop getting jacked by Geno and Viv......and Marquette.....Mar-quette. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/19/07 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am so upset about this! I'm a huge MSU fan, and hardly watched MSU WCBB team before Coach P. Maybe this is a blessing for MSU. I mean they just gave her a huge contract, I guess it wasn't enough though. I can't help but think she sold out for a better well known college. Since Michigan now no longer has their W HS Basketball season in the fall Coach P wouldn't be able to recruit while watching games, since now W HS Basketball is in the winter season. Yes. I know Michigan was the only state to have it in the fall, but now nothing in keeping her in MI so she might as well go else where and for what is probably more money. Also the deal with her husband is he still teaching at MSU? If not could this also be a reason for leaving?

PostPosted: 04/20/07 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch out! You may have just been bitten.........

Coach P is inheriting GG's gold mine amassed from hard work, good coaching and a way with the players. Coach P's losing Bales and Harding but picking up 3 top 25 players, including the Thomas's, thanks to GG.

Will be hard for any par coach to screw up the next few years but thereafter will tell the tale.

I still can't believe Texas, was handed GG on a silver platter!

Was it FUJA and/or Coach K that disenfranchised her?

Durham's Finest:
1. Nifong.
2. FUJA.
3. And now, "Biter" McCallie?

smenko

PostPosted: 04/20/07 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes! I just read about "Coach P" going to Duke. Wah!!!! Just when I was thinking of getting a mini-plan for MSU because of her. See what happens when other people notice how good she is. Darn. Good luck to Coach P. We'll sorely miss her here in Michigan.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/20/07 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 04/21/07 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much of it is about the money. Disappointed in her to say the least.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/21/07 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
So much of it is about the money. Disappointed in her to say the least.

She was recruited by Duke in the mid-1980s. She wanted to go there, but her mother made her to Northwestern.

shock6666

PostPosted: 04/21/07 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not saying I agree or disagree..however one of our local writers makes a pretty good point. Coaches today are fired at will if they don't win and some of us call for their heads if they don't measure up to our standards......

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070419/COL08/704190321/1055/SPORTS07

"It has become too big, too mercenary. The value of one's word in sports today couldn't make change for a nickel, so why create a false standard of honor that simply doesn't exist? McCallie is getting what she can get while she can get it.

More power to her.

Nobody sheds a tear when coaches are unceremoniously dumped with years remaining on their contract. It comes with the territory."

"

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 04/21/07 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Nobody sheds a tear when coaches are unceremoniously dumped with years remaining on their contract. It comes with the territory."

And if I don't do my job well, I'll be fired. What's the point? So they have a contract....if they're not doing well, they are let go.

shock6666

PostPosted: 04/21/07 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
Quote:

And if I don't do my job well, I'll be fired. What's the point? So they have a contract....if they're not doing well, they are let go.

..and they break her contract....the flip side is she has to take advantage of her opportunities when she has them. If something she deems better comes along, doesn't she have the "right" to take advantage of it? In essence, "fire" the University? Shoe on the other foot? I'm not saying it's right or wrong? But the U is going to put itself first, shouldn't we give her the same luxury?

Koopster

PostPosted: 04/22/07 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Joey Nations"]
Koopster wrote:
Joey Nations wrote:
I have to agree with Cam just because you know the game it doesn't make you a coach. Vitale and Lee Corso haven't had job offers in over 10 years and they are considered the experts in the field.

From the newswire when DeHaan signed last year:

Michigan State's women's basketball program has landed two verbal commitments; the Spartans will sign 6-8 Grandville High School senior Alyssa DeHaan. She averaged 26 points and 13 rebounds last season. DeHaan wanted to stay close to home and only considered Grand Rapids area schools Grand Valley State and Cornerstone besides Michigan State.

If that's not landing in someone's lap then I need to re-examine the definition.

You simply need to re-examine your definition because as most cases of journalism...that is only part of the story. Basketball is important, and most fans would think it would be a 'no-brainer' given the three schools...but just playing close to home didn't compare to her desire to eventually become a doctor amongst other things. Michigan State was far from a guaranteed deal...I heard that directly from a high member of the athletic department that was actually present during a in-home visit. Some recruits look for a strong basketball school where they can also get an education...others a stong academic program that also offers basketball. If you want more information...check out the link...it will give you more insight.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/highschools/0509/27/A01-329102.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: