RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

meanwhile, imus' charity radio-thon has raised ~ 1 million
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
MsTena-T wrote:
Again I say Imus firing was from his body of work and not just this one situation.

DTS, did you hear or read that some of the people at the networks who had to work with Imus went to TBTB to voice their unwillingness to work for a company that keeps tolerating his antics. This has been reported via several different outlets. It is what it is, he got this consequence as a result of his body of "work"

Tena I did hear that. I can't dispute the networks did what they felt was necessary. What has me upset now is strictly the timing; during the radiothon. The man made the network a ton of money over 30 years. He also raised a ton of money for people in need. For 18 years he's been the force behnd these radiothons. I can't believe CBS couldn't give him tomorrow morning to finish the radiothon.

I can agree with that.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/12/07 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:
Good spin is usually done quite well...it is hard for me to imagine that there are folks that spend a lifetime honing that craft. Good spin truly is a craft. I'm sure there are multiple sources from Herbert's column...the majority by far in this case will state that what Imus said was quite offensive...

As someone who works in Washington, I have to agree that some spin can be quite good (although it's astounding how bad it can be sometimes and still work when people feel like going along). You do get something of a feel for it after a while, but it's just a feel.

As a general rule, I'd also agree that employees often don't influence big financial decisions too much, but the news business is a little different from most. Unlike, say, groceries, there's a history of news decisions being made without regard for financial consequences. That's changed enormously since, say, the days of Walter Cronkite, who could horrify his employers by going after Watergate and not worry one little bit about the consequences, but reporters, editors and producers still have much more influence over their employers than the average employee. Keith Olbermann probably fancies himself as more influential than he is (okay, he almost certainly does), but he's pretty valuable to the company and has more access to executives than most people in a comparably-sized entity. He's not the only one, and news people typically are not shy about expressing their opinions, either.

Koopster

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Koopster wrote:
Good spin is usually done quite well...it is hard for me to imagine that there are folks that spend a lifetime honing that craft. Good spin truly is a craft. I'm sure there are multiple sources from Herbert's column...the majority by far in this case will state that what Imus said was quite offensive...

As someone who works in Washington, I have to agree that some spin can be quite good (although it's astounding how bad it can be sometimes and still work when people feel like going along). You do get something of a feel for it after a while, but it's just a feel.

As a general rule, I'd also agree that employees often don't influence big financial decisions too much, but the news business is a little different from most. Unlike, say, groceries, there's a history of news decisions being made without regard for financial consequences. That's changed enormously since, say, the days of Walter Cronkite, who could horrify his employers by going after Watergate and not worry one little bit about the consequences, but reporters, editors and producers still have much more influence over their employers than the average employee. Keith Olbermann probably fancies himself as more influential than he is (okay, he almost certainly does), but he's pretty valuable to the company and has more access to executives than most people in a comparably-sized entity. He's not the only one, and news people typically are not shy about expressing their opinions, either.

Good point...I do really want to believe it was a 'just' decision. The cynic in me is convinced that there were people taking the temperature as things mutated and assesing damage control...you know...guage how it will look politically and financially as opposed to making decisions that would be true to a regular persons convictions. I must admit...that is a disturbingly sad and bleak outlook, and my faith in the human spirit shouldn't be so low in regards to the decision makers at CBS and MSNBC.

The idealist in me wants it to be true. It just feels wrong though when I look at their companies as a whole and with Imus doing his Bobby Knight thing for so long without any boundaries and consequence. The entertainment industry is generally interested in producing any programming that sells advertising time...content doesn't matter so much. I actually like it that way though as the big 4 don't do as much for me as shows on HBO and f/x.

LMAO in regards to Olbermann. You picked a very good narcissistic example...but that's his charm. I can't imagine how he and Kilborn used to fit at the same desk so long ago. Oh, ESPN...those were the days.

hhs1979

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:52 pm    ::: dtsnms Imus Ranc Facts Reply Reply with quote

The financial expenditures are FACTs confirmed by Imus. The NY Attorney General dropped the charges of nonprofit violations, but the fact still exists that the family spends big bucks on nonessentials, such as leather furniture, art, etc... 100 kids per year at $18,000-26000 per kid.

From the Sante Fe New Mexican news, 3/26/2005:
"An Imus spokesman who declined to be identified said Friday that Imus raises most of the money via his national radio show. “He’s got a pulpit that most fund-raisers don’t have. He mentions the ranch and money comes in.”

The spokesman also said the ranch’s $2.6 million in expenses last fiscal year includes $800,000 in depreciation and the high costs of flying sick children to New Mexico.

“It’s the position of the ranch that whether it’s $20,000 or $30,000 per child, we’d spend more than that if it were going to make a difference with these kids,” the spokesman said.

eclair

PostPosted: 04/17/07 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every time I read the title of this thread, I'm reminded of John Wayne Gacy, a clown who volunteered his time entertaining very sick children at hospitals.

Just because someone performs an act beneficial to society doesn't mean they should get a pass.

Good people do bad things, bad people do good things. It's what being human is.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/17/07 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
Every time I read the title of this thread, I'm reminded of John Wayne Gacy, a clown who volunteered his time entertaining very sick children at hospitals.

Just because someone performs an act beneficial to society doesn't mean they should get a pass.

Imus didn't dress up as a clown and entertain sick children in a hospital. He was a racist and a liar but to varying degrees and in so many ways so are most of us. But he absolutely had already been given every pass any redeemable public person should have needed to get himself right on this subject.

It wasn't enough for Imus. He never changed and his behavior after this last incident, the Defensive/Offensive Apology Tour, wherein he continued to lash out at black people, but this time with visible hostility and anger, pretty much made clear that not only didn't he get it, he might NEVER get it.

Imus shouldn't have thrown up his good deeds in his defense. I said when he was doing it that it was a good idea but in the context of everything else he was saying and doing in his attempt to save his job it only looked self serving and defensive. I thought Imus might have really understood what he'd done and really have BEEN sorry. But he clearly wasn't.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
eclair wrote:

Imus didn't dress up as a clown and entertain sick children in a hospital. He was a racist and a liar but to varying degrees and in so many ways so are most of us. But he absolutely had already been given every pass any redeemable public person should have needed to get himself right on this subject.

It wasn't enough for Imus. He never changed and his behavior after this last incident, the Defensive/Offensive Apology Tour, wherein he continued to lash out at black people, but this time with visible hostility and anger, pretty much made clear that not only didn't he get it, he might NEVER get it.

Imus shouldn't have thrown up his good deeds in his defense. I said when he was doing it that it was a good idea but in the context of everything else he was saying and doing in his attempt to save his job it only looked self serving and defensive. I thought Imus might have really understood what he'd done and really have BEEN sorry. But he clearly wasn't.

i don't see the "tour" label as accurate, unless he did more than appear on sharpton's radio show. did he? if you want a tour, check cviv's itinerary.

i would also like the verbatim text of the example/s of continued "lashing out" at black people. i hope it's more than the "you people" at sharpton's radio studio.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
eclair wrote:

i don't see the "tour" label as accurate, unless he did more than appear on sharpton's radio show. did he? if you want a tour, check cviv's itinerary.

i would also like the verbatim text of the example/s of continued "lashing out" at black people. i hope it's more than the "you people" at sharpton's radio studio.

I understand you'd like a verbatim text but I would hope that you might understand how problematic it would be for someone to PROVIDE that for you. Think of the work. Watching hours of Imus on TIVO with no visual cues just to find some quotes to provide to someone on a message board who I don't know. People make those kinds of demands all that time on message boards but no one really has an obligation to do research work for someone else.

You could just trust me. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: