RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Head coaching vacancies...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucdt3

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:44 pm    ::: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

*Duke
Fairfield - Jamelle Elliott interviewing this week
*Florida
*Kentucky
Maine
Missouri State
Murray State
Northern Iowa
*Penn State
Washington State
Wisconsin - Green Bay

*Some names who I think should draw interest for the BIG SCHOOLS:
Joe McKeown, George Washington
Brian Giorgis, Marist
Wes Moore, Tenn-Chantanooga
Kevin McGruff, Xavier
Kenny Brooks, James Madison
Terri Mitchell, Marquette
Tina Martin, Delaware
Katie Meier, Miami
MaChelle Joseph, Georgia Tech
Jeff Mittie, TCU
Mark Trakh, Southern Cal
Cynthia Cooper, Praire View A&M
Chris Dailey, UConn

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:59 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Katie Meier, Miami
Mark Trakh, Southern Cal

What have they done at their current schools to warrant drawing interest from the BIG SCHOOLS?

Quote:

Very few ADs are looking for candidates who are already in their 50s.

Mathies to LA 2013
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:48 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Quote:

except for those that live in Baton Rouge.... Wink

PostPosted: 04/12/07 7:50 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Quote:

except for those that live in Baton Rouge.... Wink

Van's not in his 50's. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:40 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Katie Meier, Miami
Mark Trakh, Southern Cal

What have they done at their current schools to warrant drawing interest from the BIG SCHOOLS?

Quote:

Trakh...ability to recruit
Cooper...big name...her team made the NCAA
Joseph...has had some success...and has a Top 10 recruiting class coming in which shows an ability to recruit...some like Florida or Penn St might want her
Meier...only there b/c her name has come up with the Duke job...personally don't think she would be a good fit at all
McKeown...b/c he is a very good coach at a small conference school

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/12/07 11:52 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

He has how many 20-win seasons as a coach? And please don't use the injury excuse. All teams deal with injuries. Even with the injuries this past season, he still had upperclassman talent.

Quote:

How many times has Coop won her conference and gone to the NCAA tournament? She's just not ready yet.

Quote:
Joseph...has had some success...and has a Top 10 recruiting class coming in which shows an ability to recruit...some like Florida or Penn St might want her

How many winning seasons does Joseph have to her credit? Her team is one season removed from a sub-0.500 season overall (not just in ACC play). Her career resume makes this past season look like a fluke. But at least she can recruit.

Quote:
Meier...only there b/c her name has come up with the Duke job...personally don't think she would be a good fit at all

She's only drawing interest from Duke because (1) she's an alum and (2) she'll leave Miami in a heartbeat. Without any demonstrated success at Miami or any evidence of a strong recruiting pipeline or strong recruiting ties in the state of Florida, I'd pass on her if I'm a competent AD. Of course, Alleva is anything BUT competent...

Quote:

Doesn't always translate into BCS success. Plus, he's already 50. Recruiting has to be a huge question-mark for him based on his age (not saying that 50 is "old", but recruiting is a VERY demanding practice at the BCS schools).

Mathies to LA 2013
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/13/07 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe McKeown basically is recruiting against BCS schools. He has highly ranked recruiting classes on a fairly regular basis. And his teams have beaten enough "large conference" teams over the years to prove his worth.

Why wouldn't you hire someone who's 50? Many coaches go into their 60s. Look on the men's side.

I'm just saying I think age would be a silly reason (not to mention discriminatory) not to hire someone.

j11hoops

PostPosted: 04/13/07 8:19 am    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Katie Meier, Miami
Mark Trakh, Southern Cal

Quote:

---- How can any of these coaches be considered before Giorgis and Martin. They are proven winners! Giorgis just took a Marist to the Sweet 16 and lost to eventual champ UT. He consistently wins 20+ games and has been in the NCAA tournament 3 out of 4 years. Many of his losses are to top 25 teams and he's done it with a variety of players. He hasn't gotten any pub since the tournament for any jobs and it puzzles me. How can an AD not at the least extend an interview and see if he's intersted in leaving the poughkeepsie area. For all the progress women's hoops is making with schools demonstrating a committment to winning, clearly not all schools understand how to effectively research and recruit the best coaches to come to their university....it's extremely disappointing!
Martin should feel the same ... she wins at Delaware consistently and yet no mention of her for any jobs...it's silly. She gets players and obviously gets them to perform yet no one is calling....WHY??

If Giorgis is on the men's side ... he's already filled an opening at a bigger school...phone's ringing off the hook....why not on the women's side????
And Martin...I can't even find a good reason???????

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/13/07 10:19 am    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

j11hoops wrote:
How can any of these coaches be considered before Giorgis and Martin. They are proven winners! Giorgis just took a Marist to the Sweet 16 and lost to eventual champ UT. He consistently wins 20+ games and has been in the NCAA tournament 3 out of 4 years. Many of his losses are to top 25 teams and he's done it with a variety of players. He hasn't gotten any pub since the tournament for any jobs and it puzzles me. How can an AD not at the least extend an interview and see if he's intersted in leaving the poughkeepsie area. For all the progress women's hoops is making with schools demonstrating a committment to winning, clearly not all schools understand how to effectively research and recruit the best coaches to come to their university....it's extremely disappointing!
Martin should feel the same ... she wins at Delaware consistently and yet no mention of her for any jobs...it's silly. She gets players and obviously gets them to perform yet no one is calling....WHY??

If Giorgis is on the men's side ... he's already filled an opening at a bigger school...phone's ringing off the hook....why not on the women's side????
And Martin...I can't even find a good reason???????

Well, for a major conference job I'd consider McKeown before either of them. He's got a much longer and better track record at the college level. As someone above mentioned, he's done a good job recruiting at GWU, he's been in the tournament a ton of times and wins tournament games on a regular basis (including an Elite 8 and this year's Sweet 16). I also agree that his age shouldn't be an impediment, as you can figure he'll keep coaching for 10 years or more.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:26 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
*Duke
*Florida
*Kentucky
Maine
Missouri State
Murray State
Northern Iowa
*Penn State
Washington State
Wisconsin - Green Bay

If that is a true about Jamelle Elliott, then that would be a fantastic hire if Duke were to get her. It's definitely would be a good time for her to move on. I wish the Blue Devils some luck.

As for Trakh, I like him a lot and he's clearly an excellent recruiter, but he has yet to prove that he can win. This next year will be the real test as the coaching level keeps going up in the Pac-10.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:44 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
*Duke

If that is a true about Jamelle Elliott, then that would be a fantastic hire if Duke were to get her. It's definitely would be a good time for her to move on. I wish the Blue Devils some luck.

Duke is NOT looking at Elliott. Don't know where you got that from

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:46 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
*Duke

Misread I'd thiink...it's Fairfield Jamelle is interviewing at.

Central Connecticut opened up today by the way.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Joe McKeown basically is recruiting against BCS schools. He has highly ranked recruiting classes on a fairly regular basis. And his teams have beaten enough "large conference" teams over the years to prove his worth.

Recruiting against lower BCS schools doesn't hurt his program now because he's not playing against BCS competition on a regular basis (not in-conference, anyway). But can you honestly see him being able to recruit in a BCS conference against the higher-end schools? I can't.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you hire someone who's 50? Many coaches go into their 60s. Look on the men's side.

You don't hire a mid-major coach already in his 50s to his first BCS head coaching job. It's not just about age, folks. It's a combination of age and previous BCS experience.

We're not talking about folks like Calhoun and Boeheim, for instance, since (1) they've already got plenty BCS experience and (2) they're known for shady recruiting practices anyway. Oh yeah...they've won a naitonal title or two in the past.

Quote:
I'm just saying I think age would be a silly reason (not to mention discriminatory) not to hire someone.

Since most ADs are always on the look-out for the next "hot shot" young coach, I don't see a problem not wanting to hire a guy who's (1) in his 50s already (recruiting and how he relates to the players, folks) and (2) doesn't have significant BCS coaching experience.

Mathies to LA 2013
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/13/07 4:06 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
*Duke

Sorry, misread that. Ignored the name Fairfield (why there Jamelle?). It was just wishful thinking I guess.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/13/07 4:52 pm    ::: Re: Head coaching vacancies... Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Sorry, misread that. Ignored the name Fairfield (why there Jamelle?). It was just wishful thinking I guess.

Guess she's gotten comfortable in the Nutmeg State. But what on earth are the UConn fans to do if Fairfield ever plays Hartford?

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recruiting is recruiting!! If you can recruit at a mid-major you can at a major! GW is cemeted in the top 25 annually so the talent they are getting could play in major college program and have a impact. Coach Mc would be a great choice for Penn St. His east coast recruitng ties would still be intact and his system is perfect for the Big Ten.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 04/17/07 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides the first recruiting class Versyp got at Maine she didn't recuit all that well. Now we had a coach that was doing a very very good job at recruiting for the next couple of years and now she had to resign because the assistant coach was driving drunk and the head coach was a passenger. The head coach cussed out the officer and when the season was over the university made her resign.

That was an awful thing, but I am hoping Maine can get another good coach. Granted whichever coach we get will probably get a job in the big 10 as was the case of the 3 previous coaches we had in Versyp, McCallie and the woman before McCallie. So hopefully we get a good candidate for at least a few years.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/07 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fhire wrote:
Recruiting is recruiting!! If you can recruit at a mid-major you can at a major!

Yes and no. At a major you can go after higher quality recruits than you can get at a mid-major, and must to be competitive.

PostPosted: 04/17/07 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought there was more to the incident - lying, misrepresenting who she was... combined with the first back to back losing seasons in program history(?)

Jamelle has said no to Fairfield -- for whatever reason, i also think it's a good choice to interview so you learn how to interview better...

PostPosted: 04/17/07 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
I thought there was more to the incident - lying, misrepresenting who she was... combined with the first back to back losing seasons in program history(?)

Jamelle has said no to Fairfield -- for whatever reason, i also think it's a good choice to interview so you learn how to interview better...

There's a report on the RU site, via UConn fan cuzzinvinny, that Fairfield's other finalists were Carlene Mitchell, the recruiting coordinator at Rutgers, and the current coach at Southern Connecticut State, who I believe won the D-II championship this year, but whose name escapes me.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/17/07 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Frager, i believe....

PostPosted: 04/17/07 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

press conference at Illinois today.

lindsey0924

PostPosted: 04/17/07 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why is Marianne Stanley not mentioned for any openings? Seems like she would be a great head coach in the right setting.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanley had a very bad run when she was head coach at Cal.....from what I've heard she was very abrasive, lousy recruiter, and alienated many folks.

She's supposed to be a good X's and O's person, but maybe not so good with other stuff like public relations....perhaps she's well-suited to the role she's playing with Rutgers.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/17/07 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More to the point regarding Stanley: been there, done that, got the bling, trained the legends. She seems to have settled into the assistant groove.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: