RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UK's DeMoss expected to resign
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~UK~

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about Carol leaving. I've heard several names mentioned but not hers.

Any names you feel comfortable with sharing with us?

Grumps

Matthew Mitchell is one of the more interesting names. He was a grad assistant at Tennessee, assistant at Florida and UK. Brought in some very good recruiting classes. He's been head coach at Morehead State University the last couple of years. Mickie brought him here with Pam Stackhouse and Niya Butts. If he came in we may be able to keep them on staff. Good for continuity in the program.

Grumps, the other names I've heard are also current coaches but I'd rather not name them.

Yes, let's criticize the idea of the Western Kentucky coach, but bring in a coach who has gone 28-29 in a grand total of two years as a head coach, finished 1-9 outside of OVC play this year and hasn't ever finished in the TOP 200 of the RPI. He was not even the top assistant while he was at UK.

Where did I give an opinion of the guy? Shocked Grumps asked for names. I gave him a name stated facts about him and the situation.

Who was the top assistant for Mickie? They all had different roles and were equal as far as I've ever heard. Mitchell was the recruiting coordinator when we brought in top 10-15 classes.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Coach Stackhouse was the top assistant.

I just think Mitchell is not quite ready. He might end up being a good coach, but two years at a low-major program I don't think cuts it.

I do think UK is going to have a hard time getting a big name because there are so many jobs open right now.

adamspt2

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I do think UK is going to have a hard time getting a big name because there are so many jobs open right now.

Ditto. And we were late to the game as far as 'publicly' looking. Some indication that Mitch knew sometime before the press conference, but not sure how much before.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:

I just think Mitchell is not quite ready. He might end up being a good coach, but two years at a low-major program I don't think cuts it.

I agree HomerCecil. Very Happy (Hope that doesn't shock you!)

What would you think if they promoted one of the assistants to Head Coach? That's another idea I've heard.

The thing I keep thinking is that Barnhart surprised us all when he brought in Mickie so I hope he has some aces up his sleeve. He is in contact with Pat Summitt for advice so that should help.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't shock me. I'm just in a bad mood and like to take it out here sometimes. Smile

It worries me that Florida wasn't able to get a bigger "name" — I would think Stackhouse would be the only one of the current coaches who could be considered for the head job. Niya isn't even 30 years old and I don't think Vonn has enough experience.

UK has good fan support (2nd in the SEC in attendance this year) and it's an attractive job. I just wish that this hadn't happened this year, and so late.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/13/07 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stack seems like a pretty goodd choice to me. She has experience at successful programs, including winning a national title at Purdue, as well as several conference titles and a second trip to the Final Four. She also worked with Barmore at LaTech and was part of UK's surge last year.

I would take a good, hard look at her.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamspt2 wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Ditto. And we were late to the game as far as 'publicly' looking. Some indication that Mitch knew sometime before the press conference, but not sure how much before.

The more I read and hear, I think Barnhart had to have known this was coming for a while.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/13/07 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stack seems like a pretty goodd choice to me. She has experience at successful programs, including winning a national title at Purdue, as well as several conference titles and a second trip to the Final Four. She also worked with Barmore at LaTech and was part of UK's surge last year.

I would take a good, hard look at her.

That doesn't seem like a bad idea. She's already there and she was an assistant at Purdue for a long time.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 04/13/07 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how Barnhart could have had any idea about Mickie's resignation when her two best friends, Pat & Nell were totally shocked by it and were not aware she was at the point of quitting. Didn't Mickie say that Pat tried talking her out of it?
I hate to see her go because she is one of my fave coaches and the reason I started watching Kentucky basketball and cheering for them.
She must have seriously hit the wall exhaustion-wise.
I hope she comes back to coaching. We need people with her class and sense of humor in the game.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/13/07 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
I don't know how Barnhart could have had any idea about Mickie's resignation when her two best friends, Pat & Nell were totally shocked by it and were not aware she was at the point of quitting. Didn't Mickie say that Pat tried talking her out of it?
I hate to see her go because she is one of my fave coaches and the reason I started watching Kentucky basketball and cheering for them.
She must have seriously hit the wall exhaustion-wise.
I hope she comes back to coaching. We need people with her class and sense of humor in the game.

Pat Summit was interviewed on local news and stated they had been talking about this the last year.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/13/07 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mickie looked awful (as in very tired and weak) at the press conference, I thought. I hope her health is OK.

The other unfortunate thing is that she really was the "face" of the program. She got louder ovations than any of the players and really was the focal point of the big marketing campaign that was so successful these past four years.

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/14/07 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Mickie looked awful (as in very tired and weak) at the press conference, I thought. I hope her health is OK.

The other unfortunate thing is that she really was the "face" of the program. She got louder ovations than any of the players and really was the focal point of the big marketing campaign that was so successful these past four years.

Mickie has looked exhausted the last couple of years and lost weight during the seasons. I too hope her health will improve with this break. She gave her heart and soul to our program and it apparently took a toll on her. We had a very special four years with her and will always be thankful to her for giving our program life again.

Well said about the face of the program. Whoever takes over will have a big task ahead in many ways.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 04/14/07 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, UK, Adamspt2....I know there are others but can't think right now.
You guys are great fans and I wish nothing but the best for Kentucky in the future. I met some of the Big Blue fans at the SEC tourney last year and loved their energy and spirit! Even though I was wearing my Rebel clothes, the Cat fans were respectful, polite and a hell-of-a-lot of fun!!
My 12 y.o. daughter fell in love with a good-looking Kentucky fan (I think his name was Steve?!?) and has now professed her undying devotion to the Cats and barely cheers for my beloved Rebels anymore. **sigh**

~UK~

PostPosted: 04/15/07 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
Well, UK, Adamspt2....I know there are others but can't think right now.
You guys are great fans and I wish nothing but the best for Kentucky in the future. I met some of the Big Blue fans at the SEC tourney last year and loved their energy and spirit! Even though I was wearing my Rebel clothes, the Cat fans were respectful, polite and a hell-of-a-lot of fun!!
My 12 y.o. daughter fell in love with a good-looking Kentucky fan (I think his name was Steve?!?) and has now professed her undying devotion to the Cats and barely cheers for my beloved Rebels anymore. **sigh**

Thank you MadDog22. I enjoyed watching the Rebs grow under Carol Ross and know she'll continue building the program. I also have enjoyed the Hottie Tottie girls(Carol's sisters and cousin) at the SEC Tourney!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: