RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers Players on OPRAH Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
Rights and understanding are not zero sum. If more people can understand and empathize with the black race, it doesn't mean that less people are understanding and empathizing with the white race. There doesn't have to be this competition, for the issues are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

Exactly. Thank you.

yes, but as bk himself said- there was no need to fire imus.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
LadyDevilFan wrote:
QUESTION:

When during the show was the team on? Beginning, middle, end?

I have to go to campus to turn in an essay at some point during that hour...but I'd like to avoid missing them if I could.

--LDF

Beginning, if what I've been told is right.

Thank you!!

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
beknighted wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:
Rights and understanding are not zero sum. If more people can understand and empathize with the black race, it doesn't mean that less people are understanding and empathizing with the white race. There doesn't have to be this competition, for the issues are complementary, not mutually exclusive.

Exactly. Thank you.

Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. But the bottom line is, Imus violated his company's policy and more importantly abused his position as a mass-media communicator. People have gotten fired for worse reasons (e.g. not having a uniform completely clean, leaving five minutes too early, etc...) and they have certainly been kept on for worse infractions. My guess is that Imus's sponsors were also outraged (understandably so) and pulled support. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a person be fired for making public, wide-reaching, racist comments.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. But the bottom line is, Imus violated his company's policy and more importantly abused his position as a mass-media communicator. People have gotten fired for worse reasons (e.g. not having a uniform completely clean, leaving five minutes too early, etc...) and they have certainly been kept on for worse infractions. My guess is that Imus's sponsors were also outraged (understandably so) and pulled support. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a person be fired for making public, wide-reaching, racist comments.

this story was incredibly overblown. the end result is ridiculous.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imus has been done this path before and didn't deliver to drop the rascist comments from the show as he had promised. His firing was overdue.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/12/07 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

On the other hand, if CViv starts hosting Saturday Night Live, it will be too much.

LOL!

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

this story was incredibly overblown. the end result is ridiculous.

The story itself has not been overblown. It seems like everyone has been reporting what actually happened. In your opinion, the response has been overblown. However, that is a matter of opinion. Bottom line: IT DOESN'T MATTER.

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The story itself has not been overblown. It seems like everyone has been reporting what actually happened. In your opinion, the response has been overblown. However, that is a matter of opinion. Bottom line: IT DOESN'T MATTER.

It always matters to someone...

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In your opinion, the response has been overblown.

the response is part of the story, n'est-ce pas?

PostPosted: 04/12/07 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
beknighted wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

Exactly. Thank you.

The bottom line was that this had financial implications both in the short and long term.

The response from MSNBC and CBS was a 2 week suspention.

When sponsorship pulled...possibly because they were outraged...even more possibly due to character assasination by association. I know this is a cynical approach, but the general thought is that big business chooses financial values over moral most of the time. Not a completely fair statement to blanket all of these sponsors as I have no intimate knowledge of their CEO's/CFO's or board...but pretty much on par.

Entertainers and athletes do get kept on for worse transgressions if they generate $ or wins for their employers...Imus got cut loose because he could no longer provide either.

LTF1

PostPosted: 04/13/07 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may have missed it, but did the wcbb team that actually WON the national championship get an invite to Oprah?

My goodness. Something I never thought would happen, has happened. I am feeling bad for the Lady Vols.

A life of leisure is no life you know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPeJixp-zp4&feature=related
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 04/13/07 4:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
I may have missed it, but did the wcbb team that actually WON the national championship get an invite to Oprah?

My goodness. Something I never thought would happen, has happened. I am feeling bad for the Lady Vols.

well, that's what they get for being "cuter," you see.

actually, i hear you. i never thought i would feel sorry for them either, but i have been thinking about them. and generally they are the reviled enemy!!

i don't know if anyone has posted this, but today on Oprah -- Essence mentioned them as well - and forgive me if I say i thought this was very VERY 'classy' of her - she said something like "the winners, a great team like Tennessee, lost their moment, too." or that was the gist of it. and she didn't get to speak for too long, so I inferred that she has been thinking of them too, considering how this might be affecting them. in case you can't tell from my avatar over there, I really like this girl. she's NOT just 'well-spoken' for an athlete -- she is extraordinarily well-spoken for a 20-year-old. any 20-year-old.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/13/07 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"the winners, a great team like Tennessee, lost their moment, too."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/13/07 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stringers recruitment celebration tour continues! Laughing

Imus may have finally put her in line for that national title...

Red Panda 4 life
ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 04/13/07 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything for ratings, Winfrey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: