RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coached by an alum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/07 2:48 pm    ::: Coached by an alum Reply Reply with quote

Why do people insist that having an alumnus for a head coach is a good thing?

How many WCBB teams have won NCAA titles with an alumnus as a coach? The answer is one, Louisiana Tech did it while coached by Leon Barmore. Barmore was a Tech grad, but obviously never played for the Lady Techsters.

Three other teams have made the Final Four coached by alums. LSU under Pokey Chatman, Old Dominion under Wendy Larry, and Maryland under Chris Weller. Barmore and Chatman are the only ones to take their alma mater to the F4 in the last 10 years.

Only once, in 1989, has there been more than one F4 team coached by an alum. 13 of the 26 years there has been an NCAA tournament there have been no teams in the F4 coached by alums.

What are the advantages of coaching alums? They're hard to fire when things go badly. They might bring in some extra donations in the short term, but winning will bring in more and if they're not successful the extra cash will dry up.

I don't understand why people get excited about alumi coming back to coach.

PostPosted: 04/08/07 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't understand why people get excited about alumi coming back to coach.

Purdue. Perfect example.

I'm excited about Sharon Versyp being at Purdue. She was regional COY, deservedly so, and I believe her when she says that Purdue is where she wants to be for the "long haul".

She has a love for the school, having been a player there.

I see a LOT of advantages to having an alum as a coach.

joetro

PostPosted: 04/08/07 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And many coaches really want to coach for their alma mater. Carol Owens is a good example.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/08/07 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that I agree with this reasoning, but most fan bases feel that an alum would give the extra effort in building up a program as opposed to an "outsider".

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/07 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Not that I agree with this reasoning, but most fan bases feel that an alum would give the extra effort in building up a program as opposed to an "outsider".

People think that and say that, but evidence doesn't show that it is true.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 04/08/07 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Well, I think Coach Versyp exemplifies the notion quite well......so far.

PostPosted: 04/08/07 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Consider Versyp as an outsider.

Consider Versyp down the road as an alum at Purdue.

I'd say that Versyp will likely provide the exact evidence people of the pro-alum persuasion are looking for.

PostPosted: 04/08/07 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Huskies should have hired Jamie Redd. Twisted Evil

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/07 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

So do you mean she didn't work that hard at James Madison, Maine or Indiana?

eye510

PostPosted: 04/08/07 10:14 pm    ::: alums.. Reply Reply with quote

carol ross is now coaching at her alma mater--ole miss; pat summitt attended utmartin, then utknoxville; 2 more who are coaching well as alums;

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/07 10:34 pm    ::: Re: alums.. Reply Reply with quote

eye510 wrote:
carol ross is now coaching at her alma mater--ole miss; pat summitt attended utmartin, then utknoxville; 2 more who are coaching well as alums;

Summitt got her masters from UTK, after she was hired as basketball coach. She was not an alum when they hired her.

PostPosted: 04/08/07 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PurdueBBall3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

No baiting! Mad

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/07 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
PurdueBBall3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

No baiting! Mad

I was asking a legitmate question to someone who responded to me. That is only baiting if someone is incapable of rational comment. I don't think anyone here is incapable of that.

I also fail to see how you can say that a coach works harder and puts more effort into working for their alma mater without saying that they didn't put in full effort at other jobs, a pretty insulting insinuation. I am curious as to how to reconcile those two contradictory thoughts.

Michael

PostPosted: 04/09/07 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
PurdueBBall3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

No baiting! Mad

I was asking a legitmate question to someone who responded to me. That is only baiting if someone is incapable of rational comment. I don't think anyone here is incapable of that.

I also fail to see how you can say that a coach works harder and puts more effort into working for their alma mater without saying that they didn't put in full effort at other jobs, a pretty insulting insinuation. I am curious as to how to reconcile those two contradictory thoughts.

I don't think it is how hard they work, but how effective they are. When Versyp says she is at her dream job and won't move, it is hard to disbelieve her. When she talks to a player she can relate how being a part of the program has impacted her at a personal level from being on the first winning team to coming back as a head coach. There is a passion there over and above it just being her job that shows in everything she does. JMO.

PostPosted: 04/09/07 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
PurdueBBall3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

No baiting! Mad

From what I know and have seen of Versyp, I would be hard pressed to believe that she didn't do her best in whatever she was attempting. Having said that, I'm sure you know that there are times, reasons, moments, etc. when one goes to another level of their best, a click experience if you will. For instance, when I was teaching as a graduate student, I certainly felt I was doing my best. When I got employed and was teaching a class I always wanted to teach, I was still doing my best, but I was in another zone. I'm suggesting that since Purdue is, by Versyp's own account, her dream job, she might be experiencing something similar. My students/her athletes, in fact we all, benefit. Make sense?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: