RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Million Dollar Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taciturnus

PostPosted: 04/06/07 12:35 pm    ::: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

Well, it now appears that Gail G and Kim Mulkey have joined Geno and Pat in the Million Dollar Club. I assume that we'll see three or four more additions in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/04/06/04062007_wac_mulkey.html

Sherri Coale will surely be next. (She will not play third fiddle to Texas and Baylor in the Big 12.) Gary Blair might follow as well. The Aggie Women just won their first Big 12 Championship and Billy Gillispie has just gotten $2 million a year to coach the Aggie men.

Will the Florida job come with a membership? Who else?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/07 12:40 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

Taciturnus wrote:
Billy Gillispie has just gotten $2 million a year to coach the Aggie men.

Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/07 1:09 pm    ::: Too funny Reply Reply with quote

You beat me too it pilight. Laughing

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 04/06/07 1:46 pm    ::: Not sure I believe it... Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I believe that Texas gave a guaranteed annual salary of $1 million. Previous articles were coming in around $800,000, which I find more believable, considering where Conradt was at and that Duke paid a lot less.

I think this is all part of the PR machine to build up Coach G- stringing out the decision through the tournament, until it could break on the day of the national championship game (where the audience is the biggest), Coach G as the moral high ground in the game (where's my Maalox?). Coach G all the sudden using "Ya'll" in her speech and now this $1 million dollar report. Granted G did a great job at Duke. However, this stuff is so phony and manufactured. To their credit, certain people know how to work the media to their advantage. And the media that cover WBB is not likely to ever challenge for any kind of intellect awards.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/06/07 1:54 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Taciturnus wrote:

Laughing

Billy Gillispie also just left the Aggies to become the new Kentucky men's coach. Laughing

Taciturnus

PostPosted: 04/06/07 1:55 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Taciturnus wrote:

Laughing

Yep. I missed that one. $2.3 million per year in Lexington? The end is near.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/06/07 2:10 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

The word is that Stringer is in line for a new contract, too. Even the governor apparently thinks she should get one.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/07 2:45 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
The word is that Stringer is in line for a new contract, too. Even the governor apparently thinks she should get one.

If Rutgers won't give her one, I bet Duke or Florida or Penn State will.

PostPosted: 04/06/07 2:49 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:

The speculation in NJ is that LSU is the team that's looking at her. I think she'll just get a raise and stay, though, in part because moving would disrupt the care of her daughter, and in part because I'm pretty sure they'll pay her. (When the governor says you should be paid, it tends to happen.)

joetro

PostPosted: 04/06/07 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Corzine definitely knows a thing or two about making money, as well as spending it on his union mistresses.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/06/07 4:50 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

If I could sign her myself, I would. What CVS was able to do with her team this season was nothing short of amazing. Yes, she has five McDonalds All-Americans (so the talent was there), but she molded them into a great defensive unit. They went from sucking badly to being the NCAA runners-up. Not bad. Not bad at ALL.

I just wouldn't want her to work for a dirtbag like Alleva. Also, I'm a little worried about her lack of an offensive scheme beyond "let's dribble and pass for ten seconds, drive and see what happens". But at least she has a track record of some kind of postseason success (Final Four berths).

Mathies to LA 2013
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/06/07 5:00 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Also, I'm a little worried about her lack of an offensive scheme beyond "let's dribble and pass for ten seconds, drive and see what happens".

Maybe she can hire Starkey to fix her offensive woes. Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/06/07 5:05 pm    ::: Re: Million Dollar Club Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Also, I'm a little worried about her lack of an offensive scheme beyond "let's dribble and pass for ten seconds, drive and see what happens".

Maybe she can hire Starkey to fix her offensive woes. Wink

I think I'd cry...honestly. Crying or Very sad Unless, of course, he brings Big Syl with him. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/07/07 3:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How much can Rutgers afford to pay her?

Shands Medical Center in Gainesville is affiliated with the University of Florida and should be able to accommodate CVS's needs.

When paying $1 million per year, I'm not sure CVS is the coaching personality Florida is looking for.........especially after the references to Bobbit being a midget and a gnat.............

LSU is more likely, although it's AD is a jerk too. Plus, I don't think LSU will pay the really big bucks.

Just my opinion, not saying I'm right........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: