RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

S.I. grades the players and coaches in title game...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/05/07 11:28 am    ::: S.I. grades the players and coaches in title game... Reply Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/04/03/title.game.grades/index.html

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/05/07 11:59 am    ::: Re: S.I. grades the players and coaches in title game... Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/04/03/title.game.grades/index.html

Somewhat interesting. Needless to say, despite C. Vivian's efforts, I think it was easily her poorest coaching job all year. She let her team continue to play scared and didn't press until very late in the second half. Awful coaching job IMO.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:00 pm    ::: Re: S.I. grades the players and coaches in title game... Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Somewhat interesting. Needless to say, despite C. Vivian's efforts, I think it was easily her poorest coaching job all year. She let her team continue to play scared and didn't press until very late in the second half. Awful coaching job IMO.

I think she is overrated as a coach anyway. Any coach who coaches offense that poor year in and year out, doesn't deserve a lot of the praise she gets. She will get to FF's, but she will never win the big one becasue her offense is SO BAD.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:22 pm    ::: Re: S.I. grades the players and coaches in title game... Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

I'm ignoring bart. (Nothing personal, but I'm never going to convince you, so it's not worth the effort.)

As far as superficial analyses go, it was okay. Certainly Kia had the best game for Rutgers, and Prince had the worst, and you have to give Pat a better rating than CVS. I do think that Carson was rated too low when you consider that Parker shot only 33% and that Carson basically was one basket below her season average on a night when the team as a whole was about 15 points below its average. I also think that it's indicative of what people don't notice about Zurich that there's no mention that Tennessee's big run in the first half came when she was on the bench with two fouls. I won't say she should have been rated much higher, since she couldn't contribute from the bench, but it does suggest that maybe the stuff she does isn't really going to show up on the stat sheet.

I won't disagree that CVS didn't find a way to get her team to play with more confidence or that she should be faulted for that (it's something she did well in the rest of the tournament, after all), but I disagree with what people have been saying about the press. First, RU rarely runs it for more than a few minutes a game. Second, it wasn't like CVS waited until there were four minutes left - RU used it in the middle of the 2nd half. Third, and most important, it didn't work because Tennessee was able to use Parker to break it, something other teams really can't do. When it doesn't work, you stop doing it. That's pretty fundamental.

24duzitall

PostPosted: 04/05/07 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This one was on the money!!
Nicky Anosike, C
34 min., 4 points (2-9 FG), 16 rebounds (10 offensive), 2 assists
Behold, the distaff Dennis Rodman. The junior was demonic on the boards. She had three offensive rebounds in the first 4:38 and eight rebounds in the first half. She finished with 16 rebounds. That's 16 rebounds in a final. Anosike received a standing ovation when coach Pat Summitt removed her with 48-seconds left. The three letters I would give her: M-O-P. Instead, she'll have to settle for the one below.
A

PostPosted: 04/05/07 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
Nicky Anosike, C
Behold, the distaff Dennis Rodman. The junior was demonic on the boards. She had three offensive rebounds in the first 4:38 and eight rebounds in the first half. She finished with 16 rebounds. That's 16 rebounds in a final. Anosike received a standing ovation when coach Pat Summitt removed her with 48-seconds left. The three letters I would give her: M-O-P. Instead, she'll have to settle for the one below.
A

I think there's a pretty fair argument that RU would have won the game if Anosike didn't have the kind of night she had on the boards (and it certainly would have been closer.) On the other hand, Anosike scored 4 points, and they generally don't give MOP trophies to the leading rebounder. She ended the FF with a few more rebounds than Parker, but 13 fewer points over the two games. Maybe if she'd put a few of those offensive rebounds back up, she might have been the MOP.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I think there's a pretty fair argument that RU would have won the game if Anosike didn't have the kind of night she had on the boards (and it certainly would have been closer.) On the other hand, Anosike scored 4 points, and they generally don't give MOP trophies to the leading rebounder. She ended the FF with a few more rebounds than Parker, but 13 fewer points over the two games. Maybe if she'd put a few of those offensive rebounds back up, she might have been the MOP.

The MOP is always going to go to the player with the highest visibility, and that was CP3 for sure. However, the point remains, Anosike was the difference in both games of the Final Four, IMO. Without her, the Vols don't even get to the final game. Her intensity fueled the rest of the team and kept them from losing to a North Carolina team that had the game in their pockets. If Nicky shows the kind of intensity she showed in these last two games for the entire season next year then look out! There won't be any stopping the Rocky Top Express! Happy days are hear again!

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
24duzitall wrote:
Nicky Anosike, C
A

I agree. I wish they would have recognized Nicky in some way, but as you said, they normally won't give MOP to the leading rebounder. Her rebounding was very important though. Parker finished with 17 points in a low scoring affair, leading all scorers. She had 7 boards and 3 assists which led the LV's so I guess that pretty much wrapped her up as POG and MOP. I wish they would have split the honors somehow with she, Bobbitt and Anosike.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
The MOP is always going to go to the player with the highest visibility, and that was CP3 for sure.

It went to Laura Harper last year. I don't recall her being "highly visible" by any stretch. Not arguing...just sayin'. Had Anosike scored more than four points, she might've won the award. But missing five of five FTs isn't something to reward. By contrast, Parker did secure the crucial rebounds and knocked down some big FTs down the stretch.

Mathies to LA 2013
24duzitall

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i agree about the points for anosike. yes missing five ft's wasn't great but like mabell said " Anosike was the difference in both games of the Final Four, IMO.( mine too) Without her, the Vols don't even get to the final game. "

i think anosike also pulled down some very crucial rebounds-namely 10 offensive boards which gave them lots of second chance opps.
i have been waiting for NA to show up and I am so glad she finally did.

PostPosted: 04/05/07 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see where you're coming from, but "difference maker" doesn't always equal "most outstanding player". MOP is still a stats-driven award. Had Anosike scored six more points, the honor probably would've gone to her.

Mathies to LA 2013
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/05/07 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

from the stands, Bobbitt was the difference maker. Anosike was yanked and yelled at becase she (to my view) was sucking the big one on both sides of the ball early on -- no energy or effort.

Bobbitt did have to be calmed down (rather nicely by Pat) but she was the energizer/Debbie Black with a bullet... My player of the game.

PostPosted: 04/05/07 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
from the stands, Bobbitt was the difference maker. Anosike was yanked and yelled at becase she (to my view) was sucking the big one on both sides of the ball early on -- no energy or effort.

Bobbitt did have to be calmed down (rather nicely by Pat) but she was the energizer/Debbie Black with a bullet... My player of the game.

Bobbitt's three threes in the 2nd half were pretty critical to killing the bit of momentum Rutgers had generated, I agree, but she hit only one other shot in the game. (And I'll have nightmares for the next few months about how wide open she was on the second-half shots, since she missed everything that was contested.) She's probably 3rd on my list of which Lady Vols played best, and maybe lower.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/05/07 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

for me, it was not just about her offense... she was a pest of defense... I was surprised Matee (?) couldn't hear me from the stands yelling "WATCH OUT BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!"

lordy.. where were her teammates?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: