RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cincinnati to Name New Head Coach...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 04/04/07 12:12 pm    ::: Cincinnati to Name New Head Coach... Reply Reply with quote

...and it is J. Kelley Hall from UL-Lafayette.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/NEWS01/70404012/1002

BBFan23

PostPosted: 04/04/07 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Third choice? Did Miller and Merchant turn them down??? That is the talk...

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 04/04/07 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting pick from the husband and wife team from Ul-Lafayette.

It looks like schools are trying to lock down some candidates before they lose their chances.

PiperB

PostPosted: 04/04/07 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Interesting pick from the husband and wife team from Ul-Lafayette.

It looks like schools are trying to lock down some candidates before they lose their chances.

Interesting? I think it's a choice that will keep Cincinnati at the bottom of the Big East. Does this guy really have any experience recruiting Ohio and the east coast? Seems unlikely. Plus a husband and wife co-head coaches, that's bush league.

snowstormxu

PostPosted: 04/04/07 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBFan23 wrote:
Third choice? Did Miller and Merchant turn them down??? That is the talk...

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I heard Curt Miller turned them down (this isn't a surprise to me-- he can get much better jobs than the Cincinnati job), and Suzy Merchant wasn't even offered the job.

I wish J. Kelley Hall luck at UC, but I don't think that this will excite too many people around here.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snowstormxu wrote:
I wish J. Kelley Hall luck at UC, but I don't think that this will excite too many people around here.

Yeah but truthfully would any hire generate excitement around there? There is just not support for women's basketball at the school and the local media sure ignores them and their attendance is atrocious.

As for the co-head coach factor also mentioned in this thread, they said during the La-Lafayette-Marquette NCAA game that was done due to nepotism rules where his wife couldn't report to him. I saw nothing mentioned about co-head coaches here - I wonder if his wife will be an assistant or not even on the staff.

BBFan23

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In his presser he says she is expecting their third child. Big age difference as he is listed as an '82 grad and she graduated in '98?

He has built his program on jucos... will this change now that UC wants to raise their academic status?

She will not be an assistant at UC.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBFan23 wrote:
In his presser he says she is expecting their third child. Big age difference as he is listed as an '82 grad and she graduated in '98?

He has built his program on jucos... will this change now that UC wants to raise their academic status?

She will not be an assistant at UC.

And UC's president is very concerned about their reputation academically. She took a lot of heat for getting rid of Huggins but I think that's one of the main reasons she did that.

That's a 16 year age difference based on the college years. Former Lou coach and now Arkansas Coach Tom Collen is somewhere around 20 years older than his wife - the former Nicki Taggart. He actually was an assistant at Purdue when she was recruited to go there but he had left to become an assistant at Arkansas before she ever played there. She spent some time on his coaching staff at Colorado State and Louisville but I don't think she's been on his staff for a couple years now. I know they have twins and I heard on a broadcast during this season she was pregnant again. At Col State one year to get around nepotism rules, they simply designated that her job reported to the top assistant rather than to him.

Louisville had husband-wife co-head coaches for a little while before Collen got there. They actually wanted to hire Sara White as head coach but she suggested fellow assistant and hubby Martin Clapp (not sure if they were just engaged or married at that time of hiring) be co-head coach. They were co-head coaches for a little while before she stepped down and he was coaching on his own at the end of his tenure at Louisville.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: