RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Two cents on Summitt's handling of Parker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurabass

PostPosted: 04/04/07 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:
The NBA is full of arrogant, pampered assholes who can't get up before 9 a.m., don't take commercial flights and get in fist fights during games. Kobe Bryant is a hero in Los Angeles to many, and he's one of the most cocky fucks I've ever had the displeasure to lay eyes on.

It's unfortunate that there is still enough sexism in this society - particularly athletics - to let male athletes get away with this shit and call female athletes into question.

One could argue that women athletes are held to a higher standard because they're better than that, have a better education, etc. But if this society wasn't so concerned with females as "nice," we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The point you are missing is many complaining about Parker's antics in this thread no longer watch NBA because of everything you just said.

DON'T YOU GET IT???

This thread complains about Diana and Candace
arguably the two best players of WCBB for the past 6 years

This IS what is happening and their success will make it increase
IF the WNBA succeeds the money will grow
the lust for a competitive edge will grow

It's human nature to seek that edge
you can't stop it by whining and moaning on a message board
It is coming because WCBB and the WNBA are following MCBB and the NBA

Maybe you should all switch to Women's Golf
Lots of prim decorum there for you to love

Prudence and Miss Manners just love Women's Golf
No attitude, no collar pops, no chest thumps, no stares, no F bombs
Just perfect for the prim and proper.

bballfan

PostPosted: 04/04/07 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aurabass wrote:
Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:
The NBA is full of arrogant, pampered assholes who can't get up before 9 a.m., don't take commercial flights and get in fist fights during games. Kobe Bryant is a hero in Los Angeles to many, and he's one of the most cocky fucks I've ever had the displeasure to lay eyes on.

It's unfortunate that there is still enough sexism in this society - particularly athletics - to let male athletes get away with this shit and call female athletes into question.

One could argue that women athletes are held to a higher standard because they're better than that, have a better education, etc. But if this society wasn't so concerned with females as "nice," we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The point you are missing is many complaining about Parker's antics in this thread no longer watch NBA because of everything you just said.

DON'T YOU GET IT???

This thread complains about Diana and Candace
arguably the two best players of WCBB for the past 6 years

This IS what is happening and their success will make it increase
IF the WNBA succeeds the money will grow
the lust for a competitive edge will grow

It's human nature to seek that edge
you can't stop it by whining and moaning on a message board
It is coming because WCBB and the WNBA are following MCBB and the NBA

Maybe you should all switch to Women's Golf
Lots of prim decorum there for you to love

Prudence and Miss Manners just love Women's Golf
No attitude, no collar pops, no chest thumps, no stares, no F bombs
Just perfect for the prim and proper.

Word. Stop Hating!!! Confused

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/07 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait a second, you people are serious. Y'all must be new to this game. Lisa Leslie's been posing worse than CP3 for years. Cheryl Miller was as bad as anyone about showing up opponents and throwing F-bombs. Nera White didn't cuss but had a notoriously anti-social and sullen attitude. There's nothing new here.

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

And didn't she have just as much attitude in college? Like screaming "This is my fucking show" when she ran down the floor after hitting a three? Like swearing loudly and visibly and regularly on the court? Like punching orange?

Are you talking about the '03 Finals? It was "Bullshit Motherfucker, Let's Go"... I watched it yesterday on ESPN Classic. Ely mugged Taurasi about 17 times on one posession while she was posting up/cutting but couldn't stop her from hitting the trey.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Are you talking about the '03 Finals? It was "Bullshit Motherfucker, Let's Go"

that was a different one.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Wait a second, you people are serious. Y'all must be new to this game. Lisa Leslie's been posing worse than CP3 for years. Cheryl Miller was as bad as anyone about showing up opponents and throwing F-bombs. Nera White didn't cuss but had a notoriously anti-social and sullen attitude. There's nothing new here.

Exactly. Rolling Eyes

To me people who say things like this against Parker or any player either:

A. Never played competitive bball at all

B. Are so old (no disrespect intended) that during "their day" trash talking was non existent

or

C. On every level they played, they were involved with the most respectful, non-emotional, always under control players who never uttered a word.

It can't be "B." for anyone, since trash talking has existed in every sport on every level since that sport's origins.

It could be "C." but "C." is a scenario that has to be rare. I mean you've had to endure trash talking on some level if you've played for multiple years.

You know what, I played guard, drove the lane, got my shot sent into the third row by the power forward who proceeded to tell me, "You better take your little ass someplace else with that shit!" So, a stare... yeah right. I wish a stare was all that was "said" or expressed during a heated bball game.

And guess what, when my team didn't make it to the championship game, I screamed my butt off for that same girl and her team because they represented my district. Players know it's nothing personal at all. All this bit about sportsmanship is all fans can come up with when a great player isn't playing for their team. No one takes it as personal as you poor fans... boo hoo.

And for the record women's bball is no where and I mean no where near the level of arrogance as the NBA so trying to make the leap that it's on its way there because one player every half decade screams "this is my mofo show!" or stares someone down after a block is ri-damn-diculous.

Just as ridiculous as people who say Parker's little dunks are going to usher in the demise of wbball the way the dunk did for the men. Hello, you do realize that before Parker the women averaged a dunk in a game about, oh once a decade seemingly. I doubt that by next year, hundreds of women will suddenly attain the ability to dunk multiple times a game. Rolling Eyes

This is just silly.

jp81976

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many people have made great points all over this thread.

my 2 cents are this---No one denies that Diana is a competitor that sometimes goes over the line. But no one denies that she's also a really nice person that almost anyone I know that knows her off the court knows that she's a really nice and awesome person. if that makes sense...I think I even confused myself. Sorry...long tournament and I'm a little loopy after working on it...

With Candace...I think too many people get the impressiont that she's just not a nice person, so when she does something like that, it comes off as hateful, not competitive. Much in the same way Michael Jordan would come off...and why us Knicks fans hated him so Smile

Just curious though how many of you saw the shot of Candace on the court talking in I think it was either the Ole Miss game or the UNC game...she's talking with a teammate off camera and says "don't worry about it. They can't stop me." Pretty funny stuff, but sheds a little bit of light on what I would call confidence on the court, not so much cockiness.

I don't think Candace is a bad person...but clearly college isn't the place for her. I would also hedge a guess that she's more scared of Pat Summitt and the personnel there than some people realize...or maybe more respectful than you'd realize.

And for those thinking Coach Summitt has mellowed, then check out how she yelled at her team to stop celebrating and shake hands with Rutgers. ha...It's much easier to act like you've been there before when you HAVE been there before!

pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/07 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The flip side is that great players who don't act out this way, Chamique Holdsclaw for example, are often seen as less competitive or driven or passionate about the game.

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be fair, ESPN has a camera on Parker at all times also, so some of the antics of her predecessors were never exposed like Parker's are.

I mean when she was in foul trouble in the semis, did we have to cut to her after every play, regardless of which team did something? Rolling Eyes

Sass

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:

The point you're missing is that fans don't call individual male players' actions into question the way they do female players. Women are always judged more harshly than men. Though I detest arrogance, it's a part of the game at every level. I saw it in high school (girls) ball a few times this past winter.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Michael

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:

The point you're missing is that fans don't call individual male players' actions into question the way they do female players. Women are always judged more harshly than men. Though I detest arrogance, it's a part of the game at every level. I saw it in high school (girls) ball a few times this past winter.

What you are missing is those who were calling out the NBA players as thugs and punks have quit watching the games because of that crap. WBB doesn't have such a large fanbase that it can afford to lose 20-30 percent of it the way the NBA has the past decade by allowing the thugs to rule the court. Again, if the women's game continues to emmulate the men's game with the trash talking and bad attitudes, it loses its uniqueness and there is no reason for me to watch it. If it is just punking and dunking lite, I might as well watch men's basketball where the dunks are a lot more spectatcular.

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:
Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:

What you are missing is those who were calling out the NBA players as thugs and punks have quit watching the games because of that crap. WBB doesn't have such a large fanbase that it can afford to lose 20-30 percent of it the way the NBA has the past decade by allowing the thugs to rule the court. Again, if the women's game continues to emmulate the men's game with the trash talking and bad attitudes, it loses its uniqueness and there is no reason for me to watch it. If it is just punking and dunking lite, I might as well watch men's basketball where the dunks are a lot more spectatcular.

Women's basketball will never be like men's. There may be a few women who sport major 'tude, but it will never reach epidemic levels like it has in the NBA. Women are more evolved than that. You can see the beginnings of it in ninth grade, which I teach. The boys run around acting like apes and the girls don't. Things don't change much after that.

I don't think your point excludes my point, or vice versa. You're saying one thing. I'm simply saying that I resent women being held to a different standard than men. Period, end of sentence.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/04/07 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
To be fair, ESPN has a camera on Parker at all times also, so some of the antics of her predecessors were never exposed like Parker's are.

I mean when she was in foul trouble in the semis, did we have to cut to her after every play, regardless of which team did something? Rolling Eyes

Exactly. How can Candace be the biggest "jerk" or "punk" in wcbb. She's not even the biggest "jerk" or "punk" on her team. Watch Alexis Hornbuckle occasionally and see what I mean.

The camera would follow Candace into the bathroom if they could, no wonder you get to see every facial expression, every word she says. It's right there to be analyzed by all these wonderful fans. If they would follow some of the other players, they would see the same shit they pounce on Candace for is going on with 80% of the people on the floor. They get no tv time though, so of course, Candace is the anti-christ.

bballfan

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Exactly. How can Candace be the biggest "jerk" or "punk" in wcbb. She's not even the biggest "jerk" or "punk" on her team. Watch Alexis Hornbuckle occasionally and see what I mean.

The camera would follow Candace into the bathroom if they could, no wonder you get to see every facial expression, every word she says. It's right there to be analyzed by all these wonderful fans. If they would follow some of the other players, they would see the same shit they pounce on Candace for is going on with 80% of the people on the floor. They get no tv time though, so of course, Candace is the anti-christ.

Oh this is soooooooooooooooooooooooo tru! Shocked

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
DNA Fan

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:
Michael wrote:
Sass wrote:

Women's basketball will never be like men's. There may be a few women who sport major 'tude, but it will never reach epidemic levels like it has in the NBA. Women are more evolved than that. You can see the beginnings of it in ninth grade, which I teach. The boys run around acting like apes and the girls don't. Things don't change much after that.

I don't think your point excludes my point, or vice versa. You're saying one thing. I'm simply saying that I resent women being held to a different standard than men. Period, end of sentence.

Yep and it's bad. But then again, guys will never be like girls or vice-versa.

No, seriously, I hate the different views as well, but just imagine if it was the same -- same pay, same respect, acknowledgement, etc; the sport may as well become a co-ed one. I'm not advocating s'ism, but just think about it; However, aren't the differences what make it unique? I'm not saying that the guys should be all-out aggressive as it pays to be reserved sometimes, but damn if you restrict the girls from being aggressive, too.

Think about other sports where the nature IS to be aggressive: Hockey, Football, Soccer. Does any complain there? no. See, this is the same sour grapes the W gets about trying to identify itself. Don't pretend to be something you're not:

Is this realistic:

Candice blocks Hammon: "Get that stuff outta here!" and stares (Becky cries) You can't be that dilluted!!

However, this is:

Becky posting CP pulls back pops a three!! "In your face! HA!" (We'll see about that next play, says Candice)

W promoting itself to be "family-friendly", DT and others are swearing up a storm; that isn't 'family-friendly', yet, make it so it doesn't happen; it'll turn people off; then you're stuck cause people who came to those games for that AND team play, start to head for the exits.

Men's games are 'choatic' while women's games are (or supposed to be) "organized". It's okay to be middle of the road and have organized chaos, too

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
sgtutvols

PostPosted: 04/04/07 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And this year, CTH, my Lady Vols won number SEVEN so I don't care if they cartwheeled, wore red pumps, or cussed like a sailor to get that NC. The drought is over!!!

congratulations! i hope i never endure such a drought.

i wonder if your type of Lady Vol fan will now come crawling out of the woodwork? like locusts, every 8 years. Cool[/quote]

Ah yes. My "type of Vol fan". LOL. Whatev CTH. You called me out and I responded so if the locusts come out of the woodwork you can only blame yourself. I lurk much more than I used to but my FANaticism for the LVs has always been high no matter how many NCs we have but the fact the TN WON # SEVEN this year makes it that much sweeter to "come out of the woodwork"!

So stick that in your garden and drive drunk delivering your veggies! Cool

LVs - National Champions in 2007:!: Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Go Lady Vols in 2008:!: Exclamation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: