RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington search shifts gears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:33 am    ::: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/309381_uwom29.html

Quote:
Some of those names include Duke assistant Tia Jackson, Georgia Tech coach MaChelle Joseph, Temple coach Dawn Staley and former longtime Stanford assistant Julie Plank.

A front-runner among the pack, though, could be Florida State coach Sue Semrau

PostPosted: 03/29/07 3:33 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/309381_uwom29.html

Quote:
Some of those names include Duke assistant Tia Jackson, Georgia Tech coach MaChelle Joseph, Temple coach Dawn Staley and former longtime Stanford assistant Julie Plank.

A front-runner among the pack, though, could be Florida State coach Sue Semrau

Oooh! Very Happy

Joseph and Semrau would be amazing in the Pac-10.

I like how they point out that they're heading to the Final Four where the coaches would be. I'm sure there will be a lot of people in suits waiting to meet all these schools looking to hire.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/29/07 3:36 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

Would Washington be better than Florida State or Georgia Tech?

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 03/29/07 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. I'd rather have Joseph back in the Big 10 by taking on the challenge of creating a viable Michigan team.

PostPosted: 03/29/07 3:44 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Yup. Easier conference. Plus, Washington state has some nice recruiting grounds.

Mathies to LA 2013
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:43 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Yup. Easier conference. Plus, Washington state has some nice recruiting grounds.

Exactly and they wouldn't have to face UNC, Maryland and Duke every year.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would an easier conference necessarily be more attractive to a coach?

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:

More wins = more $$$

This is a business. Coaches are paid to win. They get all kinds of bonuses for winning conference (tournament) titles, reaching the NCAA tournament, making the Sweet 16, reaching a FF, etc.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:55 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:

Exactly. Semrau hasn't defeated one of those three teams the last two seasons (and this was despite playing Duke, UNC, and Maryland once each AT HOME this season)

I think GT has Maryland figured out, but they haven't been able to break through against UNC and Duke in years.

If I were Washington's AD, I'm not sure if I'd go after Joseph just yet. She's just one year removed from a 2-12 ACC season. Based on her track record, she's likely to go sub-0.500 again in the ACC before going above 0.500 in league play.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/29/07 4:59 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

It is yet to be seen what will happen to Duke long-term without GG. If the amount of institutional support is as low as it sounds, they may well have trouble getting another coach near her caliber.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PurdueBBall3 wrote:

More wins = more $$$

This is a business. Coaches are paid to win. They get all kinds of bonuses for winning conference (tournament) titles, reaching the NCAA tournament, making the Sweet 16, reaching a FF, etc.

But isn't that relative? Besides, if one wins in a weak conference at a school that doesn't have deep pockets, I can't imagine that it would be a better, more satisfying, and ultimately more lucrative venue then placing yourself in a solid conference and building from there. Harder? Sure. Better? Probably. But I can see your point for resume building.

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:20 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

they have some nice players, yes, but the seem to prefer getting into the sunshine in Arizona Shocked and I don't expect the new coach can arrange to change the weather Wink

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:44 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

they have some nice players, yes, but the seem to prefer getting into the sunshine in Arizona Shocked and I don't expect the new coach can arrange to change the weather Wink

Actually, weather isn't the selling point at all. Being ignored by the home school is the selling point.

Seattle area kids will always choose Seattle/UW over Tempe/ASU....if UW coaches actively recruit them. Kids in that area who are sports fans are raised Huskies and bleed purple and gold. The only reason they go to ASU is because they don't get recruited by UW and the only reason UW doesn't recruit them is.......well, after seeing the Washington kids on the ASU roster, I have no friggin idea why UW didn't recruit them.....but it speaks volumes as to why they are looking for a new coach.

caune

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:50 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

statams wrote:
caune wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Actually, weather isn't the selling point at all. Being ignored by the home school is the selling point.

Seattle area kids will always choose Seattle/UW over Tempe/ASU....if UW coaches actively recruit them. Kids in that area who are sports fans are raised Huskies and bleed purple and gold. The only reason they go to ASU is because they don't get recruited by UW and the only reason UW doesn't recruit them is.......well, after seeing the Washington kids on the ASU roster, I have no friggin idea why UW didn't recruit them.....but it speaks volumes as to why they are looking for a new coach.

Hmm, Em and Aubrey tell a differnt story about being recruited Shocked

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:56 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
statams wrote:
caune wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Hmm, Em and Aubrey tell a differnt story about being recruited Shocked

Em and Aubrey are from cougar territory. I don't really consider Spokane the Seattle area... but it should be in the target area for UW, as well as every other Pac-10 team.

Sass

PostPosted: 03/29/07 10:07 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

statams wrote:
caune wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Incoming UCLA freshman Regina Rogers was recruited by UW. She was even seen at a game wearing purple, which observers took to be "a good sign." Next thing you know, she signs up to be a Bruin. I guess there was something at UW she didn't like.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/30/07 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or maybe she wanted to continue playing with Nzekwe and they collectively wanted to get away from the recruiting scandal from their high school by getting out of dodge.

On another note, Michelle Marciniak's name has also come up in the local papers as a possible candidate for the job. She's got more name recognition locally than any of the other candidates and would do more to bring the Storm fans over into being UW fans, which Turner has stated as a goal for the program.

John Wooden
maroondevil

PostPosted: 03/30/07 8:32 am    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

statams wrote:
caune wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Our WA players are
Emily Westerberg
aubree Johnson
Reagan Pariseau
Brian January
all from Spokane

Kirsten THompson is from Monroe which is the Seattle Area pretty much.

We only have 1 seattle area recruit.

About the weather, I usually hear that students/athletes from Wa, OR etc come down to tempe for a change in weather.

hooper1

PostPosted: 03/30/07 11:04 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Weather-wise, Washington is a step down.
If you're look at rednecks per capita, it's a step up from Florida State and Georgia Tech.

(Oh, I'm kidding! Relax!)

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/30/07 11:24 pm    ::: Re: Washington search shifts gears Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Weather-wise, Washington is a step down.
If you're look at rednecks per capita, it's a step up from Florida State and Georgia Tech.

(Oh, I'm kidding! Relax!)

Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, with a metropolitan population quite a bit bigger an Seattle. I don't think "rednecks" are a big concern there.

Sass

PostPosted: 03/31/07 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
Or maybe she wanted to continue playing with Nzekwe and they collectively wanted to get away from the recruiting scandal from their high school by getting out of dodge.

The kids have nothing to be ashamed of; it's the coach's fault. Rogers and Nzekwe aren't running from anything. Except the UW. Very Happy

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/31/07 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't saying the kids had anything to be ashamed of. Just that being asked about the scandal would happen all the time if they were at the UW, not so much at UCLA. I think the biggest thing is that they wanted to be a package deal and when Nzekwe decided on UCLA, Regina did too. A possible factor in that is that when Nzekwe decided, WA only had 1 schollie left because of the Kiwi and Bennett from Cali, so that in order to continue playing together they had to go elsewhere.

John Wooden
sambista

PostPosted: 03/31/07 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't understand why no one (at least, of what i've seen) has promoted the name of julie plank to get a shot at coaching. can anyone tell me?

PostPosted: 03/31/07 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is Julie Plank? The name sounds familiar...

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/31/07 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sort of impacts her ability to create a buzz among the fan base if you're not sure who she is.

A good coach without question but a hire to generate buzz, not really.

Yes winning generates buzz, but the right hire can get a buzz started before he/she coaches a game.

John Wooden
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: