RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Statement from Gail Goestenkors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:04 pm    ::: Statement from Gail Goestenkors Reply Reply with quote

“After returning from my interview at Texas , I am going to now take a few days to think about my decision. I think it is in my best interest to talk with the Duke administration, family and staff before making a decision. I have spent 15 wonderful years at Duke, love the university and what it stands for. It has been very flattering to be considered for the Texas job. I have always admired what a great tradition and program Head Coach Jody Conradt built over the years.”

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:14 pm    ::: Re: Statement from Gail Goestenkors Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
“After returning from my interview at Texas , I am going to now take a few days to think about my decision. I think it is in my best interest to talk with the Duke administration, family and staff before making a decision. I have spent 15 wonderful years at Duke, love the university and what it stands for. It has been very flattering to be considered for the Texas job. I have always admired what a great tradition and program Head Coach Jody Conradt built over the years.”

It bodes well that she didn't take the job right then and there. However, the Duke AD better do some serious begging and getting her some major coin.

DNA Fan

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:17 pm    ::: Re: Statement from Gail Goestenkors Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

It bodes well that she didn't take the job right then and there. However, the Duke AD better do some serious begging and getting her some major coin.

"Beggars can't be choosers." Is it true the other way around, too? Wink

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
StanfordBBFan

PostPosted: 03/29/07 7:25 pm    ::: Re: Statement from Gail Goestenkors Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Looks like "goodbye" to me.

Koopster

PostPosted: 03/29/07 7:30 pm    ::: Re: Statement from Gail Goestenkors Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Now that is a smartly crafted statement. GG appears to be more than interested in the Texas job and yet very loyal and compassionate to Duke as well. She references her lengthy history and (potential) ability to let Duke make a reasonable offer. Even if she has made her decision it puts the onus of the Duke AD.

shock6666

PostPosted: 03/29/07 7:33 pm    ::: Re: Statement from Gail Goestenkors Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Now that is a smartly crafted statement. GG appears to be more than interested in the Texas job and yet very loyal and compassionate to Duke as well. She references her lengthy history and (potential) ability to let Duke make a reasonable offer. Even if she has made her decision it puts the onus of the Duke AD.

I thought she handled it nicely as well. Also, if she's already made her decision, it's nice that she had enough class (brains?) to be sensitive to the fact these students had this rally for her...

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/29/07 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To put this statement in some context, I believe that this is the statement that the American-Statesman reported would be created by the Duke Sports Information Department on Gail Goestenkors' behalf:

Quote:
The Duke sports information department is supposed to release a statement on Goestenkors’ behalf later this evening. It’s expected to say that she plans on declining comment until she makes a decision on whether to accept the Texas job. But as is the case with any job search for a major coach, all information is fluid and subject to change.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/womens_basketball/

I could be wrong, however Wink

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/29/07 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
To put this statement in some context, I believe that this is the statement that the American-Statesman reported would be created by the Duke Sports Information Department on Gail Goestenkors' behalf:

Quote:
The Duke sports information department is supposed to release a statement on Goestenkors’ behalf later this evening. It’s expected to say that she plans on declining comment until she makes a decision on whether to accept the Texas job. But as is the case with any job search for a major coach, all information is fluid and subject to change.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/womens_basketball/

I could be wrong, however Wink

On the other hand, she didn't have to let them write a statement for her. My guess (and that's, of course, what it is) remains that she'll go to Texas, but either way she's handling this very well.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/30/07 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I may, I think we are all appreciating at least getting this information, instead of being left to mindless speculation. It is well crafted, yes...but, it is also enough message for one to reasonably conclude "she is thinking it over," no matter who wrote it.

Class all the way, on all sides. Texas is not crouching in darkness about who they want, GG is open about having been interviewed, and Duke acknowledged from the beginning their involvment in the process.

Would more sports entities would be so open.

Of course, then we would have nothing to talk about... Laughing

PostPosted: 03/30/07 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Class all the way, on all sides. Texas is not crouching in darkness about who they want, GG is open about having been interviewed, and Duke acknowledged from the beginning their involvment in the process.

true, but Texas runs a risk if Gail declines that everybody will know that their new hire is actually the consolation prize.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True dat, ripley...but my point is that it is refreshing to hear something than nothing.

And, at Texas' price...I think I could get over it if I am sloppy seconds.

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
True dat, ripley...but my point is that it is refreshing to hear something than nothing.

You have to think that someone like Brenda Frese would find herself uninterested in Texas if she were the second choice. That makes me suspect that if GG ends up staying at Duke (still a long shot in my mind, but my mind isn't the one deciding), Texas may have to go after a mid-major coach.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

does she really need to give duke a few days to increase their offer?

auntie

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
does she really need to give duke a few days to increase their offer?

No she doesn't have to, but it is the classy thing to do.

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

You have to think that someone like Brenda Frese would find herself uninterested in Texas if she were the second choice. That makes me suspect that if GG ends up staying at Duke (still a long shot in my mind, but my mind isn't the one deciding), Texas may have to go after a mid-major coach.

What do you mean "someone like Brenda Frese"?

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PurdueBBall3 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

What do you mean "someone like Brenda Frese"?

A coach of Brenda's caliber, I'd wager.

stever

PostPosted: 03/30/07 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forget Texas, GG's coming home to Michigan. Shocked

/look...outside the window, flying pigs!!! Wink

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/30/07 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RainDevil wrote:

A coach of Brenda's caliber, I'd wager.

That's right. I wasn't making any insinuations.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/30/07 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

true, but Texas runs a risk if Gail declines that everybody will know that their new hire is actually the consolation prize.

I wouldn't necessarily view it that way. I'm sure that some coaches out there are hoping she doesn't take it so they can get that job.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/30/07 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if GG leaves, looks like Boyle won't be the one to replace her since Cal is busy renegotiating her contract to keep her around:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/colleges/cal/16999385.htm

shock6666

PostPosted: 03/30/07 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Forget Texas, GG's coming home to Michigan. Shocked

/look...outside the window, flying pigs!!! Wink

Yeah, and hell froze over.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: