RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gators trying to add Auriemma to big-name coach collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
It's hard to see him leaving UConn for another college team where he'd have to rebuild from scratch-- though you could argue that the Big East is now holding him back, and that teams coming from the SEC and the ACC now have a significant advantage in the tournament. (But the 2005 final was B10 vs. BXII.)

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by that. It doesn't appear that UConn's membership in the Big East has kept UConn from getting high seeds, and the tournament committee has given the Big East a lot of slots since the grand reorganization (more than any other conference, I'm pretty sure). So what is it about the Big East that holds UConn back?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
So what is it about the Big East that holds UConn back?

I don't know what Accommodatingly meant, but it is arguable that Geno could actually recruit better in the SEC. Most good players like to play against other good teams and players. How many good players does the unwieldy 16-team Big East really have -- outside of UConn and Rutgers? Not as many as the SEC.

Florida is a growing national hotbed of wbb talent. If Geno can capture the local market and keep much of his recruiting strength in the northeast, midwest and California, he may be able to sell Gainseville a lot better than Storrs.

Conversely, the thought of recruiting against Pat Summitt and the rest of the SEC coaches is somewhat intimidating.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to "sources" in today's Connecticut Post, he's not interested.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/29/07 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
According to "sources" in today's Connecticut Post, he's not interested.

That's actually good to hear. But I doubt the speculation will stop with all these positions going on until the coaches put the rumors to rest.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On WTIC tonight~

Joe D.: "You don't sound like a man looking to go somewhere else."

Geno (laughing): "Well, I've spoken to 4 AD in the last few days, and the Florida AD, who I know, isn't one of them."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: