RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Not going to the Final Four

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miatamama

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:15 pm    ::: Not going to the Final Four Reply Reply with quote

Well, I've been looking forward to the FF all year. Prepared for it early on by getting cheap airline reservations, a hotel reservation near the Q arena, a car reservation and 2 FF tickets.

After last night I've canceled it all. I no longer have a horse in this race. Personally I think it's Tennessee's championship this year (but I've been wrong before).

I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to being part of the spectacle of a FF tournament, but I just can't be enthusiastic for this thing now. So Sunday and Tuesday I'll be in front of the big screen TV watching the games in HD rather than leaning back in my seat in the Q arena in Cleveland. Oh well....

I guess it's the absence of a Big 10 team. But that's certainly a familiar feeling. I just can't get excited for Rutgers, NC (never never never), LSU or Tennessee. I like rooting for a familiar team--I like the tension, but none of the teams in the FF hold any interest for me. So for me it's just not about the enjoyment of the sport or meeting BB celebrities. That's just not worth the thousand dollars I'd have to spend.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Last edited by miatamama on 03/28/07 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:19 pm    ::: Re: Not going to the Final Four Reply Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.

I have a great reason to go this year, of course, but I've found that I really enjoy the FF even when I think I won't like it that much. Last year, in fact, I had a great time even though a team I really don't like won it all.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually enjoy the F4 MORE when my team's not in the hunt.. no tummy in knots, more relaxed -- see the sights, watch great bball, talk to all the coaches over at the convention, meet great fans... it's the super bowl of WBBall.. what's not to like?

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never had a team in the fight. I've been in person twice, 1993 and 2003 and had a great time on both occasions.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:48 pm    ::: Re: Not going to the Final Four Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
Well, I've been looking forward to the FF all year. Prepared for it early on by getting cheap airline reservations, a hotel reservation near the Q arena, a car reservation and 2 FF tickets.

After last night I've canceled it all. I no longer have a horse in this race. Personally I think it's Tennessee's championship this year (but I've been wrong before).

I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to being part of the spectacle of a FF tournament, but I just can't be enthusiastic for this thing now. So Sunday and Tuesday I'll be in front of the big screen TV watching the games in HD rather than leaning back in my seat in the Q arena in Cleveland. Oh well....

I guess it's the absence of a Big 10 team. But that's certainly a familiar feeling. I just can't get excited for Rutgers, NC (never never never), LSU or Tennessee. I like rooting for a familiar team--I like the tension, but none of the teams in the FF hold any interest for me. So for me it's just not about the enjoyment of the sport or meeting BB celebrities. That's just not worth the thousand dollars I'd have to spend.

Man I could have used your hotel room! Geaux Tigers

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I've never had a team in the fight. I've been in person twice, 1993 and 2003 and had a great time on both occasions.

Same here as I've never had 'my team' come close to making it but had fun when I went in 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2002. I think San Antonio in 2002 was my favorite city to visit especially since it was so warm at the end of March there. I first went in 1997 b/c it was in my hometown of Cincinnati and I talked my dad into going with me and I stayed with my parents during that weekend. My dad and I had a much better time than either of us expected and then put in for tix in the lottery every year after that until 2002. In 1997 I bumped into the Marquette coaching staff right outside the game and was surprised to find out coach Terri Mitchell knew who I was - she had just finished up her first year as head coach at Marquette...

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 03/28/07 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My team is gone, but I can always pick another (hey, LSU!), and I am really looking forward to the weekend. The only other Final Four I've attended was before I really got into women's college basketball, and I was just there because my sister wanted to go -- it was fantastic fun, and I'm thrilled to be going again.

I'd be more thrilled if Maryland were going again, too, but that's a good point about the knotted stomach -- it'll be a bit of a relief not to fret.

Last edited by waterloosunset on 03/28/07 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
miatamama

PostPosted: 03/28/07 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hotel: Embassy Suites downtown.

Ya, if it was San Antonio I might have still gone. But Cleveland? Come on. Ya gotta have a team to cheer for to go to Cleveland.

Sorry Clevelanders....it's gonna be April. I'd rather be some place warmer if I'm gonna spend that much money and not have a particular team to cheer for.

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
I actually enjoy the F4 MORE when my team's not in the hunt.. no tummy in knots, more relaxed -- see the sights, watch great bball, talk to all the coaches over at the convention, meet great fans... it's the super bowl of WBBall.. what's not to like?

Never gone but you're right, it is a bit more relaxing when it's not your teams in there. You can appreciate the basketball a whole lot more and not feeling bad if you're team loses.

Sass

PostPosted: 03/28/07 11:36 pm    ::: Re: Not going to the Final Four Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:

I can't imagine cancelling any Final Four reservation, ever, anywhere or anytime. I love basketball so much. I will watch any team, any level of play. It's my dream to go to the FF.

You are insane.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
shock6666

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:49 am    ::: Re: Not going to the Final Four Reply Reply with quote

Yikes not going? I've been to the past 5 out of 6 FF's (and I only missed 1 because I couldn't go at the last minute because I hurt my back) and I've never had a team even close to being in the hunt! Just having the opportunity to experience WBB with that many WBB fans is an amazing experience. Plus, there is so much other stuff going on and things to see....what an experience. The people you meet.....Last year we got really lucky and ended up in the Maryland Hotel!
I'm sad I won't be there this year, broke my streak....

acemom33

PostPosted: 03/29/07 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Earlier in the month, I had thought about cancelling. I mean Cleveland in April but my daughter reminded me that a) my final four ticket was free courtesy of her b) my flight was free courtesy of a prior bump c) hotel would be minimal courtesy of her again and my favorite coaches Pat and Dawn would be there for me to get yet another picture to add to my scrapbook. Hopefully this is the year I get to sing Rocky Top at the top of my lungs Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/07 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This sort of thing is why the tournament has attendance problems. Too many people are fans of only their team and not the game as a whole.

PostPosted: 03/29/07 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I partly agree that this FF is lacking a little something. I've been talking about it with accommodatingly. No newcomers, not as many great storylines, etc. But I'm still excited.

I don't have a team, but I just adopt another one. LSU.

Also, Sylvia Fowles and Candace Parker are two of the greatest college players ever. They will (I think) go down in history as two of the greatest players ever to take the court. This year, we have the pleasure of watching them play in the Final Four, maybe even meeting in a title game. It's something we might be talking about for the next 25 years (sorta like Swoopes-Smith).

If I had the chance to be there, I would be.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
I partly agree that this FF is lacking a little something. I've been talking about it with accommodatingly. No newcomers, not as many great storylines, etc. But I'm still excited.

It's funny, I was just thinking yesterday about all the great storylines this year: Rutgers' redemption from the 2-4 start, LSU overcoming the loss of Augustus and then Pokey, Tennessee trying to end the national championship drought, Latta coming back from her apparently actually serious injury last season, etc., etc. It all seemed a lot more compelling to me than either of the last two years.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final four is the single greatest atmosphere for a basketball fan. We went up to Boston last year due to the closeness, and didn't even stay for the games!

We went up on Saturday, went to the autographs and practices, went over to the WBCA games, stayed over, and then went to Hoops City and enjoyed that the next day.

Where else can you find nothing but fans, either of the sport in general or specific teams, pushing women's sports to the highest degree?

I was trying to figure out how to afford to take the kid this year, regardless of who played! It just couldn't fit the budget.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what are you doing with your tickets mama? I agree with DTS though, the Final Four is great, whether your team is in it or not. I went to Indianapolis in 2005 and then to Boston last year...it was great seeing some of the same people. you give each other that nod that says, I remember you. LOL!

Good times and had I really planned, I'd be going to Cleveland. Okay, okay...even without planning had my Boilermakers made it to the Final Four I'd drive to Cleveland. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/29/07 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't imagine cancelling any Final Four reservation, ever, anywhere or anytime. I love basketball so much. I will watch any team, any level of play. It's my dream to go to the FF.

I'm with you!!

UDHarvardBC

PostPosted: 03/29/07 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year was my first Final Four experience. The events surrounding the FF were ok, though I would have liked to see more interactive fan activities. It was also fun to people-watch around town--at any given moment, you could run into an All-American on the street or see coaches walking around. The senior game was also entertaining.

Also, it was nice to witness the exhuberance of fans whose teams made it to the FF and conversely bittersweet to see all those fans trying to sell off tickets when their team lost the first game (or to be able to purchase FF tickets from disgruntled fans whose team did not make it for face value Wink ). Plus, with my favorite team out, it was an opportunity to "adopt" a new team if only for two days.

Frankly, as a women's basketball fan it was fun to go no matter who made it or who won. I'm looking forward to many more FF in the future (hopefully some place warm!), just keeping my fingers crossed with the lottery!

miatamama

PostPosted: 03/29/07 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

desafiada6: Just sold my FF tickets on EBay. Someone got a tremendous deal (someone in Ohio). I lost money on that. But next year if somehow a Big 10 team gets there (don't care who but it sure would be nice if it was Illinois of Purdue) I'll just buy tickets on Ebay.

There are lots available there (EBay) so if anyone still wants to go take a look.

I'm actually not upset about not going. I did want to go for the spectacle value--and really never thought Purdue would get as far as they did (I'm not in the minority on that)---Not because I didn't think they're talented, but their short bench (the Md. transfer and the VB player were of no help no matter what diehard fans think) killed them. Next year who knows, but honestly I'm not holding out hope. Of course my Illini will never be there (I can still hope for miracles) but no matter what I'm still a WBB fan, still a Big 10 fan.

By the way, I understand all the "don't care if I have a team in this to cheer for" sentiment. That was my original thought as to why I put my name in for the lottery for tickets last year. I was swept up in the emotion of WBB. I guess practicality struck me--Cleveland in April (whoop-te-do!) and maybe a thousand dollars in hotel, car rental, meals, souvenirs, etc. The comfort of my family room, 51" HD TV, and readily available food and adult beverages just overcame the emotion of the trip. Live and learn.

PostPosted: 03/29/07 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
The comfort of my family room, 51" HD TV, and readily available food and adult beverages just overcame the emotion of the trip.

that is hard to pass up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: