RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Greensboro Final: (3) Arizona State vs. (4) Rutgers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/26/07 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Rutgers. Isn't it nice what can happen when Tennessee isn't in your bracket? Wink

If LSU holds on to beat UConn, talk about a defense-dominated Final Four matchup. First team to 50 wins?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
pmpntez1 wrote:
I'm picking Rutgers by 15 or more...their defense is just too athletic and physical for ASU, in my opinion.

Geesh, has ANYBODY seen ASU's defense?
Sure Rutgers defense is excellent, but so is ASU's.
This game should be much closer then 15 points no matter who wins.

I think the big difference was that Rutgers has extraordinary athletes that can go off the dribble like no one's business. January seems to be the only crazy athlete that ASU has. They are sure missing Dymond. She would have made a crazy impact with her speed and ability to slash.

I do believe though that CTT has turned around her program with her coaching and people that buy into her system. The next step for ASU is to get the super-athletic players they have not been able to get. Then they will head to the final four.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
"Briann...Janvier!"

Stacey is my hero. Laughing

It's been my guilty pleasure to hear her say that. Embarassed

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
I hope Rutgers pulls this off, but if ASU wins I won't be sad.

I wasn't sad when they lost at all. ASU has exceeded expectations. Perhaps their record wouldn't have been as good if the Pac-10 hadn't been so down this year, but I think CTT was destined to have a 30+ win season. She is on the up-and-up. She will be back here to the elite eight and hopefully to the final four.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
This is a very unlikeable Rutgers team.

Really? I'm surprised you say that. The more I see them, the more I like them.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
"Is this January? No, it's Kristen Thompson."

WTF Mike Patrick? Shocked

He's been taking a few sips, I see.

Yeah, he did a few of those. I'm wondering if he let it all go a bit too soon. Embarassed

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
Guts? I think it's a case of stupidity to get in front of someone like that when you are trying to recover from a concussion.

Did you really expect January to let her get a lay-up when she could take a charge.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They finally gave the ball to Kia, it's about time!

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a box score link:

http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/stats/2006/07-34.htm

Ajavon (or Avajon, depending on whether Mike Patrick remembers how to pronounce her name) scored 20, with 6 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals. That's 40 points and 11 assists in the last two games.

Vaughn apparently was fed well enough by the other RU players to score 17 and had 10 rebounds (her 11th double-double) and 2 blocks. Carson added 11 and Prince had 10.

The people who vote on the all-region team apparently did not notice Ajavon's deficiencies as a player, as they picked her as the MOP. Vaughn and Carson joined her on the team.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/27/07 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Orsillo is very talented offensively.

I'm hoping that CTT let's her play a lot more in the next year. She just has such a great shooting touch.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Ah yes, because the WNBA needs more undersized shooting guards who dominate the ball as opposed to passing to All-American posts.

Ouch! Rolling Eyes

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
if anyone was thinking of drafting westerberg, after the crappy games she's had, they're probably thinking twice. she's a senior who has not stepped up. she showed hints of coming alive early against bowling green, but faded.

Yeah, but every time they threw it into her in the paint she would get hacked and picked at. I think defense was just as much the culprit.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
I wonder how ASU would've fared if Dymond Simon was healthy.

I don't think that much. I mean, yes she is their leading scorer, but they lack post play. Thompson is akward, Johnson isn't offensive by nature, and Westerberg has been five feet off on her shot all night.

Again, the more interesting question is how ASU would've fared with Dosty and Lacey.

Exactly. I think Dosty and Lacey would've been able to at least give Kia Vaughn trouble. I expect ASU to improve with a stronger group of posts next year.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I don't think that much. I mean, yes she is their leading scorer, but they lack post play. Thompson is akward, Johnson isn't offensive by nature, and Westerberg has been five feet off on her shot all night.

Again, the more interesting question is how ASU would've fared with Dosty and Lacey.

See, I think Dymond would've made a difference because she's one of the few players on the ASU team who can actually create her own offense. She's also fearless attacking the basket. Besides January, ASU doesn't have the creaters it needs.

Doris, Vaughn doesn't average 25/10 because of Ajavon. Stop beating around the bush, fool.

Yeah, ASU has a tendency to just keep passing the ball around because no one can create. Simon is a top-notch player and she, along with January will help give players fits next season.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/27/07 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I agree that Cal and USC might've gone further without the injuries, but Stanford's injuries weren't to what I would consider "ahtletically-inclined" players. They were going to lose to an athletic team regardless, be it FSU in the second round or LSU in the Sweet 16.

What Stanford needed was an experienced guard to free up Candice Wiggins. She was almost a no-show in that game against FSU. She was so busy running the point that she really had no time to free up and attack.

caune

PostPosted: 03/27/07 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Exactly. I think Dosty and Lacey would've been able to at least give Kia Vaughn trouble. I expect ASU to improve with a stronger group of posts next year.

Along with Dosty and Lacey playing, and Kaylie Murphy with a year of experience, they have another 6'5" player from in state joining the team. So with experienced guards Briann, Danille and Dymond...and Engelbrecht if she'd shoot Shocked They should do just as well, or better next season!

Congrats to Rutgers, they played great and are reaching their potential at the right time!

PostPosted: 03/27/07 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just want to say congrats to ASU for giving us Pac10 fans at least a little something to cheer about.....

Rutgers is looking very strong....won't be surprised if they end up winning the whole thing....

But, back to the Pac10....looking for better results next year. USC and Cal should be strong next season with key players returning from injury....Stanford will be, Stanford...and who knows who else might rise up (besides ASU of course).....

Looking forward to good things next year!!!

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/27/07 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
This is a very unlikeable Rutgers team.

Really? I'm surprised you say that. The more I see them, the more I like them.

I've always liked them, but then I love good defense.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/07 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
But, back to the Pac10....looking for better results next year.

Heard that last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and....

Now 10 years and counting since the last P10 team made the F4. All of the other major conferences have had at least three different teams make the F4 since the P10's last appearance. All except the B12 have had at least five appearances by their teams in that span.

The Pac 10 is a mid-major in WCBB.

PostPosted: 03/27/07 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Along with Dosty and Lacey playing, and Kaylie Murphy with a year of experience, they have another 6'5" player from in state joining the team. So with experienced guards Briann, Danille and Dymond...and Engelbrecht if she'd shoot Shocked They should do just as well, or better next season!

Congrats to Rutgers, they played great and are reaching their potential at the right time!

Hey, she was a little more aggressive in the past few games, I think. Hopefully that aggressiveness will continue next year and be buffered a little bit by the thought that she plays on an elite eight team.

Indeed, Congrats to Rutgers...good luck against LSU!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: