RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Voepel on Portland resignation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
womenshoops:"Have you seen the evidence that PSU uncovered in its investigation?"

Have you? If you have, please provide the link and I will read it and maybe change my opinion.

wh:"Why do you assume that Rene is innocent, but you assume that Pokey is guilty?"

I take Chatman's resignation as an admission of guilt. If Portland had beat Ohio St (which she nearly did), I doubt she would have resigned. And I don't assume Rene is innocent of everything, I just don't believe that her behavior required her to lose her job.

wh:"Isn't it also wrong to discriminate against gay people even if your school hasn't yet gotten around to making a rule against it?"

The vast majority of people in 2007 (and long before) understands it is unethical at the least to mess with a student. In 1991, the majority of Americans did not think it particularly wrong to discriminate against lesbians. Indeed, as late as I think 1970, the American Psychiatry association considered homosexuality a mental illness (when Portland would have been about 20 years old). It takes time for values to change and lots of people are a bit slow changing.

wh:"bullshit. for what?" I find people who swear in public repeatedly have a difficult time otherwise expressing themselves...but no matter. If as I suspect, Portland was right and the process against was "flawed", and she had been terminated, she could have sued for breach of contract. She might have lost...or not, but the university would have had to make very public its evidence, which I doubt it wanted to.

wh:"Why don't you just have the balls to come out and say what you believe: that you don't think Portland did anything wrong. That you don't care if she did discriminate against lesbians -- that you don't think she should be fired for that anyway."

I do think she treated Harris and the other two (who curiously we never hear of or from) wrongly. I think she should have been reprimanded and she was to $10,000. I am not nearly so sure that she discriminated in any signficant way against lesbians after 1991, and I doubt she had many on her team in those years (Harris apparently wasn't)

If she clearly violated Penn's anti-discrimination policy I think she should have been warned, then reprimanded, and then fired. Penn St seemed to follow that approach and policy, just as LSU followed its policy toward Chatman

At least 10 former players came out on the record publicly against Portland in a very high profile case. Investigative articles and segments were done by several major newspapers and studios including the Post Gazette, ABC News and ESPN, Don't take my word for it; Google it.

When you take a resignation as an admission of guilt -in Chatman's case- but discount all the public statements, records, and findings and claim persecution in Portland's case, it's pretty obvious that you are either (a) deliberately obtuse, or (2) one step from the short bus in terms of your reasoning and analysis.

Not finding many more takers on the many Chatman threads you've contributed since joining in, it would appear that you have simply moved on to inserting Chatman in 'lesbian' related college bb threads. How charming.

Last edited by bluewolfvii on 03/24/07 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soonerville wrote:

Indeed.

C'mon bbj and the rest of y'all - I knew who that was with his first post.

Aw heck, LTF is good at what he does - but like Soonerville, I reckon I'll just sit back with my popcorn.

I'll be content to let sharper minds than my own field the queries.

Excellent thread, and one must admit that LTF can liven up a discussion.

PSUAlum

PostPosted: 03/24/07 9:56 am    ::: LTF Reply Reply with quote

LTF you said,”I am not nearly so sure that she discriminated in any significant way against lesbians after 1991, and I doubt she had many on her team in those years”

Here are a few examples of Rene’s post 1991 activities as recounted in national news media. I know there are more that have just not come out and publicly told stories of post 1991. I hope you know now that Rene never did follow the anti-discrimination policies at Penn State.

Per a long article in the Boston Globe published on March 26, 2006 (BTW if I recall correctly this was printed around the same time that the Women’s Final Four was in Boston)

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/womens_basketball/articles/2006/03/26/when_the_fouls_get_very_personal/

Courtney Wicks, who played for Penn State in 1996 and '97, said Portland told her family while recruiting her that she would not tolerate lesbians on her team. Wicks said Portland ''instigated a full-fledged gay-bashing session" after the team attended a professional women's game in Seattle in 1996. And, finally, Wicks said, Portland drove her off the team by accusing her of associating with a lesbian.

''She uses her power to ruin your life if you don't live by her code," Wicks said in a phone interview. ''It can be very debilitating emotionally. I feel like she singlehandedly tried to ruin my career."

Per a long article and sidebar about the Jen Harris in USAToday

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2006-05-11-portland-accusations_x.htm

"I had two separate conversations with her on the subject. One, I asked her directly why she felt the way she felt. Why she had this stance about not allowing lesbians in the locker rooms, on her team, or in her program. She said that she doesn't want her players to have to make a choice in the locker room. Basically, she almost made it seem, if you have a lesbian on the team, they could be predatorial and force you to make a decision you don't want to have to make, or force you to make a decision that you don't even really want to think about at that point in time, and it can be or is distracting. That was her big thing — distractions."

— Courtney Wicks, played for Portland as a freshman (1996-97), then quit in her sophomore season, in January 1998

"An athlete on the team told Rene, 'I know she's a lesbian.' So, Rene started to question my sexual orientation to others connected to the team. She said, 'If it's true, she can't work with the team.' I knew the culture at Penn State, I knew her history, but it was something I wanted and needed to do because my ultimate goal was to be an athletic trainer at Tennessee. So, I grew my hair long. I wore more makeup. I stopped going to alternative night at Players, the club on campus. I dressed differently. To the point where my parents noticed a difference. I knew I needed Rene's name on my résumé. She was asking questions. So, I had to give the appearance of being straight. It didn't come up again. I'd always been open about my sexual orientation. It was the first time in my life that I hid. I never had to do it before, and I've never had to do it since."

— Chris Demuth, student trainer for 1996-97 season

"I was in her office because we all have to have a coach-player meeting at the end of the season. We were talking about the softball team. ... She said that they hang out with us, so it makes them seem like they're not gay. That's when she said that we don't accept that on this team. I said, 'Oh, OK.'

— Amber Bland, played for Portland as a freshman (2004-05), was kicked off the team in March 2005, the same night as Harris. Reinstated a few weeks later, she left at the end of that academic school year.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
I find people who swear in public repeatedly have a difficult time otherwise expressing themselves...

I find that priggish cowards use deflections like this when they are losing an argument.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

LTF1 wrote:
Have you [seen evidence of what the school found]?

No, I haven't. But unlike you, I don't have a firm opinion about what was found and what wasn't found, what was proven and what wasn't proven.

LTF1 wrote:
If as I suspect, Portland was right and the process against was "flawed"...

Why do you suspect that? Because Rene said so?

Do you know anything about what they did, whom the interviewed, what evidence they uncovered? No, you don't.

(And don't give me your "I'm an academic and I know how it works" cop-out. I'm an academic too. That doesn't make me some sort of expert on what happens at Penn State, or on how they ran particular this investigation.)

LTF1 wrote:
I am not nearly so sure that she discriminated in any signficant way against lesbians after 1991...

I'm not totally sure of the either, because I haven't seen what evidence was uncovered. But it's amazing to me that you are so sure about Pokey, but so unsure about Rene.

Here's the evidence against Pokey that we have:

(1) Berry accused her. Berry apparently didn't have first-hand knowledge, because she only reported recently something that happened awhile ago. We haven't heard from Berry herself, so we don't know specifics, and we don't know how she heard what she heard.
(2) Upon learning of the investigation, Pokey resigned. Like you, I think that can be plausibly seen as evidence of guilt, but it's hardly overwhelming evidence.

Here's the evidence against Portland that we have:

(1) Rene herself said prior to 1991 that she discriminated. And several players described her policies.
(2) After 1991, Rene said that she didn't really like the policy.
(3) Harris's own word and testimony, which includes specific claims and charges about what Portland did.
(4) The word of Courtney Wicks and others (see PSUAlum's post above, e.g.) who describe Rene's continued open hostility to lesbians, even after 1991.
(5) Penn State conducted an internal investigation and made a finding of guilt.
(6) In order to avoid public exposure, Rene and PSU settled the lawsuit and wrote Harris a huge check, contingent on a confidentiality agreement, which permanently sealed all of the deposition testimony. (If she had nothing to hide, why would she do that?) Rene then resigned.

And you think the evidence against Pokey is stronger?

Nonsense. You're just believing what you want to believe. Evidence has nothing to do with it.

You're politically conservative. So you're quick to believe allegations against a lesbian coach. And you're slow to believe allegations against a conservative coach, because you think that she must be a victim of the pc gay rights activists and liberal academia.

Your stance on both cases has more to do with your politics than it does with the evidence. Of course, you're not alone. It's unfortunately common. It's banal.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

personally, i think its off the mark to believe that any university ad is going to consult voepel (or any other columnist) for their opinions on who to hire.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the Boston Globe article and didn't see much new there, except I did find my position re Harris:

"Yale coach Chris Gobrecht, who has gained a reputation for fostering a climate of diversity during her 25 years coaching Division 1 teams, including Southern California, Florida State, and Washington. Gobrecht expressed doubt about Harris's account.

''This particular case, to me, is fishy," she said. ''I don't put a lot of stock in somebody who says I'm heterosexual but I got kicked off the team because I was perceived to be homosexual. It sounds to me like she is the one with a problem."

The fact is that because of Portland's big mouth prior to 1991, she made herself a target for gay-lesbian rights organizations and any disgruntled player or former player who came down the 'pike. If Portland is as guilty as so many claim, it is amazing it took 14 years before a player came forward, and then one who claimed she was straight but that Portland only thought she was gay. And of course the racism angle--almost an afterthought--was thrown in to get the case to federal court.

What is ironic is that with Portland, players straight and lesbian knew what her personal feelings were. If a player were a lesbian and still wanted to go to Penn she knew what she was getting in to. Or she may have thought, "No way I'm going to Penn with Portland there." How many coaches are out there who share Portland's distaste for lesbians but simply keep quiet? This doesn't stop them from discriminating and unwitting players may have little clue to a coaches feelings on the matter.

And now, after Portland has been such a target, no coach in her/his right mind will say boo. I find smothering speech rarely if ever a good thing

I'm off to watch LSU

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/25/07 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
And of course the racism angle--almost an afterthought--was thrown in to get the case to federal court.

no, the core of the legal case was gender discrimination. Because orientation discrimination and gender discrimination are often inseparable. The core of the case was based on Hopkins and Oncale.

LTF1 wrote:
What is ironic is that with Portland, players straight and lesbian knew what her personal feelings were. If a player were a lesbian and still wanted to go to Penn she knew what she was getting in to.

So gay players either didn't go there, or they stayed in the closet if they did. So Rene effectively got to enforce her policy of discrimination even after 1991. How convenient.

The closet is a remarkably powerful tool. Rene exploited that power for years.

LTF1 wrote:
I'm off to watch LSU

nice game by the Tigers.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/25/07 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are right re Oncale, however ironically, if

"Harris wins the case [moot now of course] framing a sexual orientation discrimination case as a failure to conform to gender stereotypes will likely become the legal standard. However, the “gender nonconformity equals sex discrimination” argument assumes that every homosexual acts in a stereotypical way, and will not provide protection for potential plaintiffs that do not"

S: http://sportsentertainment.ncbar.org/Newsletters+/Newsletters/Downloads_GetFile.aspx?id=6020.

which if so, might explain why everybody seemed eager to settle.

I also wonder if this isn't just an avenue to get around Higgins (not particularly honest if it is) re discrimination base on orientation

wh:"So gay players either didn't go there, or they stayed in the closet if they did. So Rene effectively got to enforce her policy of discrimination even after 1991. How convenient."

Unfortunately, yes. But the alternative is for gay players to go another program where the coach may be just as hostile to gay players but not know it (and still wind up in the closest) OR go to a program where gay players are welcomed

And I am glad to see you could post without swearing Smile

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/25/07 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
I also wonder if this isn't just an avenue to get around Higgins (not particularly honest if it is) re discrimination base on orientation

Higgins v. New Balance? The First Circuit case? It's not controlling law in Pennsylvania anyway, so there's no need to "get around" it.

There's nothing dishonest about the argument in any event. Orientation discrimination is not illegal under federal law. But gender discrimination is. And in many cases, orientaion discrimination is inseparable from gender discrimination. When you require (gay) women to behave like traditional, feminine, "normal" (straight) women, you can discriminate both ways at the same time.

That's a perfectly valid argument that the law -- even the fairly conservative Supreme Court -- has begun to recognize.

LTF1 wrote:
Unfortunately, yes. But the alternative is for gay players to go another program where the coach may be just as hostile to gay players but not know it (and still wind up in the closest) OR go to a program where gay players are welcomed

or maybe Penn State should take real action so that gay players can go there too. Maybe it should make good on its 1991 promise to protect gay players from discrimination and harassment.

Which is what Penn State finally did. It just took a couple decades.

LTF1 wrote:
And I am glad to see you could post without swearing Smile

it never fucking lasts.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/25/07 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wh:"it never **** lasts."

Hmm. So have you seen professional help about what could be an OCD?

wh:"Higgins v. New Balance? The First Circuit case? It's not controlling law in Pennsylvania anyway, so there's no need to "get around" it. "

I'm sorry, I thought Harris filed in federal court.

But didn't you say "The core of the case was based on Hopkins and Oncale"? Isn't that "controlling law in Pa"? and if so, isn't "Higgins" as well? I am so confused. (And I am so glad you are so smart that I know you will put me straight)

wh:"There's nothing dishonest about the argument in any event. Orientation discrimination is not illegal under federal law. But gender discrimination is. And in many cases, orientaion discrimination is inseparable from gender discrimination. When you require (gay) women to behave like traditional, feminine, "normal" (straight) women, you can discriminate both ways at the same time."

Which is why it is ok to stereotype the behavior of gay (and straight) people in court (now that is progress-sarcasm)

And as I wrote, I believe you are right about Oncale. (But apparently you just want to fight, which is ok I guess)

In any case I don't find Harris credible and apparently at least some "progressive" folks don't either eg the Yale coach I quoted earlier. We disagree on Harris, which almost necc means we disagree on what should have happened to Portland. I am willing to leave it at that.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/26/07 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
But didn't you say "The core of the case was based on Hopkins and Oncale"? Isn't that "controlling law in Pa"? and if so, isn't "Higgins" as well? I am so confused. (And I am so glad you are so smart that I know you will put me straight)

It's not (just) that I'm so smart. But I did go to law school. In the first weeks of law school, you spend a lot of time learning about what constitutes precedential authority in a given jurisdiction and what doesn't. I know that stuff, but you don't, because you've never been taught. So, with apologies for the didacticism, allow me to put you straight:

Supreme Court cases are binding on all federal courts. Lower federal court cases are not.

Hopkins and Oncale are Supreme Court cases. They are precedential (i.e., binding or controlling) authority in every circuit. Circuit cases are only precedential in-circuit. Higgins is a First Circuit case. It is only binding in the First Circuit. It isn't binding in the Third Circuit. Pennsylvania is part of the Third Circuit.

Different circuits have treated these questions differently. Rene v. MGM (9th Cir.), e.g., is more generous. The Third Circuit has indicated that it will likely follow MGM.

(And in any event, Higgins didn't reject the theory I described. It merely rejected the appellant's attempt to raise it on appeal since he had failed to raise it in the trial court below. (Because his trial-level claims were litigated prior to Oncale. Too bad for him.))

LTF1 wrote:
Which is why it is ok to stereotype the behavior of gay (and straight) people in court (now that is progress-sarcasm)

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean. The Hopkins-Oncale-MGM argument doesn't rely on a stereotype. It doesn't say that gay or straight people typically act a certain way. It doesn't say that all forms of orientation discrimination are legally actionable.

It depends on the facts that the plaintiff is able to prove in each particular case. If the plaintiff is able to show that the defendant discriminated in a way that relied on gender stereotypes, then she can obtain relief. Is she can't make that showing, she can't obtain relief.

LTF1 wrote:
We disagree on Harris, which almost necc means we disagree on what should have happened to Portland.

I'm not sure that I do disagree about Harris. I wish I could see more of the evidence.

But to me it's not just about the narrow question of whether Harris's allegations were true. It's about the bigger question of whether Rene (since 1991) maintained an environment that was hostile to lesbians. I think she did (although I think the reality was probably more complicated than many assume).

I think it was time for PSU to enforce its policy. I think it was time to make good on the promise of antidiscrimination.

Edit -- almost forgot: shitfuck.

LTF1

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wh:"Rene v. MGM (9th Cir.) is more generous. The Third Circuit has indicated that it will likely follow MGM."

I know what is binding in one circuit is not binding in the next. I do find it interesting however that various circuit courts may choose which precedents in other circuits to follow or not. (Does Congressional intent matter at all here?)

wh:"I'm still not sure I understand what you mean"

The article I quoted from the NC bar suggested that if Harris had won that the "gender nonconformity equals sex discrimination argument assumes that every homosexual acts in a stereotypical way, and will not provide protection for potential plaintiffs that do not"

Maybe that or my interpretation of it is wrong. (I am under the assumption however that not all lawyers agree on all interpretions)

wh:"It's not that I'm so smart. It's just that I'm a lawyer."

Well that is understandable as I have taught students who went on to be lawyers and in my experience they really are no brighter on average than any one else who graduates from college (nor are Ph.Ds in history for that matter) Smile

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/26/07 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LTF1 wrote:
I know what is binding in one circuit is not binding in the next.

you didn't seem to before. You asked why Oncale and Hopkins were binding in the Third Circuit but Higgins is not. I answered. I didn't realize your question was rhetorical. Sorry about that.

LTF1 wrote:
Does Congressional intent matter at all here?

If there were some clear Congressional intent here, it would matter a great deal. But there isn't. Congress could speak up and clarify what it means at any time. But it hasn't yet, and it probably won't. (Although it's possible that after the next cycle, there will be a renewed ENDA push.)

LTF1 wrote:
The article I quoted from the NC bar suggested that if Harris had won that the "gender nonconformity equals sex discrimination argument assumes that every homosexual acts in a stereotypical way, and will not provide protection for potential plaintiffs that do not"

Maybe that or my interpretation of it is wrong.

I couldn't read the article, because the link you provided didn't work, but yes, the argument you quoted is wrong. It simply misunderstands how the Hopkins-Oncale-MGM doctrine works.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/26/07 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rene v. MGM Grand Hotel, 305 F.3d 1061, 1063-64 (9th Cir. 2002) holds the fact a harasser may be motivated by hostility based on sexual orientation is irrelevant; it is enough the harasser engaged in severe or pervasive unwelcome physical conduct of a sexual nature.

Hopkins is the mixed-motives case.

Oncale does not protect homosexuality, but holds same-sex sexual harassment is actionable under Title VII if the victim is targeted "because of (biological) sex," irrespective of the gender of the alleged harasser.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/26/07 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

The important part of Hopkins for this discussion (and for Harris's case) is not the burden-shifting procedural morass that it established for mixed motive cases. The part of Hopkins I've been talking about is the recognition that "gender stereotyping" is a form of sex discrimination. (See Part II.C. of the opinion.)

As for MGM, there was no majority opinion (the vote was 4-3-4), so there's no simple way to describe what it said. Fletcher said that his suit could proceed because he had alleged unwanted contact of a sexual nature (using Oncale as the touchstone). Pregerson said that his suit could proceed because he had alleged gender stereotyping discrimination (using Hopkins as the touchstone).

The Third Circuit said in Bibby that any of those paths can work, depending on the facts of the case.

Again, the important point recognized in all of those cases is that discriminating or harassing someone on the basis of their orientation can also be discrimination "because of sex." Those are precisely the arguments that Harris made in this case.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/26/07 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

The important part of Hopkins for this discussion (and for Harris's case) is not the burden-shifting procedural morass that it established for mixed motive cases. The part of Hopkins I've been talking about is the recognition that "gender stereotyping" is a form of sex discrimination. (See Part II.C. of the opinion.)

Again, the important point recognized in all of those cases is that discriminating or harassing someone on the basis of their orientation can also be discrimination "because of sex." Those are precisely the arguments that Harris made in this case.

The issue in Hopkins was conforming to sex stereotypes, exactly...in terms of dress, makeup, appearance, hairstyle, etc. Thought that was made abundantly clear Harris was proceeding under this framework, not sexual orientation. Apparently not to everyone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: