RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fresno Game 1: (1) Connecticut vs. (4) NC State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
If I had one criticism of ESPN, I don't think they gave the wolfpack players enough credit for their skills and ability. I think that was lost in the give all for coach talk. Also, this is the sweet 16, do you really think they would give less effort for a coach that was healthy?? I think Dykes flogged that horse a bit much.

NC State was there because they deserved to be. Lots of talent; lots of abilty.

That's exactly right. NC State played well; UConn played the second half better. Goring got tired. Charles didn't. Swanier had an exceptional game; Key didn't.

Yes, the late block was all ball; the hit on the arm afterwards was the foul.

I have a lot of criticisms of ESPN for this one, actually. Coach Yow deserves a great deal of respect and admiration. But viewers and listeners deserve announcers who won't say the same things over and over, and who will tell them what's happening on the court. Did Jimmie say "cancer" more, or "surround-sound" more? That might have been one of the worst announced major-conference college games I've watched.

I enjoyed watching it anyway-- we're still UConn fans-- but if we win the next one, I'll enjoy it much more.

and where the hell did he come up with the surround-sound bullshit anyway??? I've never heard that before!

threefrom60

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread reaffirms all the reasons I'm ashamed to be a Connecticut fan. You can't help who you fall in love with, but most days I feel pretty awful for being lumped in to the category of a Husky fan.

I'm with DTS - this win, while a relief, didn't feel like a normal tournament win. I wish it hadn't had to be us that beat them. No matter who it was was going to be given a hard time. I wish NC State were still in it, beating up on teams on the other half of the bracket.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to the Huskies. This had to be a tough game for them, given the strangeness of playing NC State, and they also had to deal with NC State's resilience, which was very impressive. They found a way, though, and that's what you need to do.

And let me add that I think Geno's halftime adjustments have been really impressive for two games in a row.

P.S. Not a bad day for the Big East, either.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Congratulations to the Huskies. This had to be a tough game for them, given the strangeness of playing NC State, and they also had to deal with NC State's resilience, which was very impressive. They found a way, though, and that's what you need to do.

And let me add that I think Geno's halftime adjustments have been really impressive for two games in a row.

Not bad at all.. Smile

I'd rather not think about who Uconn just beat..I'm sure the whole Uconn staff feels a littl bit bad about it...

On to LSU...which, I'm sure they'd love to get back at Uconn...Luckily Geno really takes this game seriously..

On a side note...How about Charde Houston? She's been great, and consistent..and it's so wonderful to see. I hope she gets the credit she deserves.

PostPosted: 03/25/07 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching this game, I couldn't help notice the difference in the bodies of the players from each team. With the exception of McLaren, the UConn players were lean, muscular adn well-defined. The NC State players were not. The difference was very stark.

It seems no surprise that the team that was well-conditioned and obviously in much better shape was the one that was able to sustain their effort through the end of the game.

This was a definite exhibition of the value of conditioning.

eclair

PostPosted: 03/25/07 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought that same thing during that ASU/Bowling Green game today.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/25/07 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the turning point of the game was when UConn went with the lineup of Montgomery, Thomas, Houston, Hunter and Charles. They were SO BIG, intense on defense, and all of them were threats to score.

bandanaman1998

PostPosted: 03/25/07 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
what a melancholy win...

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

It was good to see UConn hitting their free throws (19/23, 84%)

DNA Fan

PostPosted: 03/25/07 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be late, but I found this:

Duke/NC State players, Kay/Gail

interviewshttp://www.wral.com/sports/video/1246959/

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
auntie

PostPosted: 03/25/07 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Not bad at all.. Smile

I'd rather not think about who Uconn just beat..I'm sure the whole Uconn staff feels a littl bit bad about it...

On to LSU...which, I'm sure they'd love to get back at Uconn...Luckily Geno really takes this game seriously..

On a side note...How about Charde Houston? She's been great, and consistent..and it's so wonderful to see. I hope she gets the credit she deserves.

Yes, I thought Geno's adjustments were excellent. Previously, I had thought that was the weak part of his coaching. I am glad to see the improvement.

I also agree that the announcers were repeating themselves. But at least we did not hear about Geno over and over as we usually we do.

Most of the Lady Huskies played quite well. But where was Mel?

PostPosted: 03/25/07 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:

Most of the Lady Huskies played quite well. But where was Mel?

She needs to have wide open looks to be effective, which doesn't happen so much against really good teams.

That being said, I'd still expect more than 0-2 fg (or whatever it was) from her.

B-man

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/25/07 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Press Conference:

PostPosted: 03/25/07 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
what a melancholy win...

After reading this thread...and even though it has been referenced on more than one occasion...best post I have read all evening. Stay classy dts!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/26/07 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
what a melancholy win...

After reading this thread...and even though it has been referenced on more than one occasion...best post I have read all evening. Stay classy dts!

thank you very much, koopster, I appreciate it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: