RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Harding and Bales - a couple thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OU#1

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:16 pm    ::: Harding and Bales - a couple thoughts Reply Reply with quote

If Harding's FT misses today motivate players at all levels to shoot hundreds more on their own, then so be it that today's results happened. From Candace Parker to Fowles to the slow j.v. player that just wants to make the varsity next yr. - let them all see the need to put the time in. I believe that Harding can make even a greater impact on womens bball than she has yet to imagine. She can become, IMHO, a productive professional like Dawn Staley...who lived through some tough, tough heartaches in her NCAA tourney career.

And Bales. Man has that kid worked! When she signed with Duke, she was the 3rd best post to come out of Ohio. Natl. player of the yr. is now sub for UConn, 2nd best is supposedly #1 or #2 in this yrs' draft, and Bales goes to Duke and seems to make a safe choice since she would probably play behind the first mentioned. But destiny had other plans for Allie and she did her part and more with hard work. In the last two NCAAs she did all she could to put her team in a position to win. She did it with class and has gained the respect of some of this game's wisest coaches and quickest players.

Lastly, if you could have a quick team, a physical team, a fundamental team or a tall team, which would you want 1st? C. V. Stringer consistently shows us all the blessing of the quick choice. They might make some stupid mistakes, but they can quickly correct them. For tonight the play of the game wasn't the FTs, but instead the quick hands stealing the ball from Smith (?) after a non existent box out on the defensive end.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed on the free throw remarks. I'm of the opinion that if you can't shoot 60% from the free throw line by this time of year, your starting spot, spot on the team, whatever, is in jeopardy from day 1 of camp. There is NO reason for people to be shooting as poorly from the free throw line as I've seen people do this season. It's ridiculous.

BBFan23

PostPosted: 03/25/07 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harding is a 75% free throw shooter but you like your point guard to be even more solid than that as the game is often on the line and the ball in your hands. Free throws are practice and repetition... the problem is that many kids are practicing the wrong skills and wrong repetitions which doesn't solve their problems.

A good shot doctor coach should correct any errors and the rest is up to the athlete.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/25/07 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can hit at 95% during practice, but when the pressure is really on and your team's fate rests in your hands it's much more a mental thing than just a physical thing.

PostPosted: 03/25/07 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chick hearn, the longtime voice of the lakers, used to say that if you couldn't hit at least 75% of your free throws you had no business on the floor. he didn't discriminate about who he said it about either, since shaq (then a laker) was often at the free throw line with a very subpar percentage. his advice was to get a free throw 'doctor' to analyze what you were doing wrong, correct the error, and practice, practice, practice.

i cut the college players some slack, they have lots going on in their lives with school, etc., but the PROS are earning money and have lots of time to be in the gym improving their games.

chickie baby would be turning over in his grave seeing all the PROS who can't shoot free throws for beans.

Last edited by scullyfu on 03/25/07 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/25/07 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
You can hit at 95% during practice, but when the pressure is really on and your team's fate rests in your hands it's much more a mental thing than just a physical thing.

which makes Charde Houston fascinating to me...she shoots about 65% regular season, and 80% tournament time. And Courtney Paris' dramatic improvement late in games too.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/25/07 10:11 am    ::: Re: Harding and Bales - a couple thoughts Reply Reply with quote

OU#1 wrote:

And Bales. Man has that kid worked! When she signed with Duke, she was the 3rd best post to come out of Ohio. Natl. player of the yr. is now sub for UConn, 2nd best is supposedly #1 or #2 in this yrs' draft, and

Bales did not come out of high school the same year that Hunter did. She came out a year later. Bales was rated higher than Davenport coming out of high school.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/25/07 10:23 am    ::: Re: Harding and Bales - a couple thoughts Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
OU#1 wrote:

And Bales. Man has that kid worked! When she signed with Duke, she was the 3rd best post to come out of Ohio. Natl. player of the yr. is now sub for UConn, 2nd best is supposedly #1 or #2 in this yrs' draft, and

Bales did not come out of high school the same year that Hunter did. She came out a year later. Bales was rated higher than Davenport coming out of high school.

Actually she did. Bales and Brittany were Duke's two person class in 2003.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/25/07 10:24 am    ::: Re: Harding and Bales - a couple thoughts Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
OU#1 wrote:

Yes they did, they both came out in 2003. They were both freshman together at Duke in the 2003-2004 season.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/25/07 10:24 am    ::: Re: Harding and Bales - a couple thoughts Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
OU#1 wrote:

Yes they did, they both came out in 2003. They were both freshman together at Duke in the 2003-2004 season.

Damn memory.

Embarassed

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 03/25/07 11:03 am    ::: Bales Reply Reply with quote

"sub for UConn"? come on, mention the injuries. Lets not make Brit look like a slouch.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/25/07 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geez, let's not forget hunter has a cadaver's meniscus transplanted into her knee.

harding didn't miss because of her mechanics.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/25/07 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to see "Lindsey Harding" and "Dawn Staley" mentioned in the same sentence for a long, long, long time. All of that ESPN-generated hype destroyed Duke.

Mathies to LA 2013
DNA Fan

PostPosted: 03/25/07 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
0All of that ESPN-generated hype destroyed Duke.

Yes, expectation were quite high, but with all Duke's success (EXCLUDING espn) what did you think was gonna happen (as in no-hype at all)? MD the defending champs weren't as "hyped", but people expect the champ to successfully defend, right? To bad it didn't happen, but don't throw MD under the bus.

If anyone went 0-34, most would say: "this team is complete crap." and expect nothing out of them the next year, but then they shock the hell out of you; however, the reverse is true.

If you set the bar too low, but obviously, too high -- hate to say it -- you will be disappointed! Regardless, of the generated hype, you, me and anyone else as a fan heed this advice:

Keep your expectations in check. Moderation is key. Razz

Stop the presses! Stop the hot damn presses!! We won the ship!! Very Happy

*fondles lucky Penny!*

The Big Three!

Like a fanstatic story told in three parts:

In the beginning there was Dee
In the middle there was Penny
Though all parts are interchanagable -- at the end of this story there was Cappie!!

- PHX Mercury '07 Champs!!
jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/25/07 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
chick hearn, the longtime voice of the lakers, used to say that if you couldn't hit at least 75% of your free throws you had no business on the floor.

I knew I got that from someone useful. I was playing pool with my nephew and I put the last shot in. As I lined it up and watched the ball roll in, I said,

"This one's in the refrigerator. The eggs are chillin', the butter's gettin' hard, and the jello's jigglin'."

Greatest end of blowout game phrase of all time.

And my nephew, who is 6, laughed hysterically. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: