RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Horizon League Holding Back Borseth-UWGB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/22/07 10:57 am    ::: Horizon League Holding Back Borseth-UWGB Reply Reply with quote

"It's frustrating from our standpoint because, I don't want to say we're stuck," Borseth said, "but we're always playing the No. 1 seed (in the second round)."

Is that enough to drive him out? At a place like Michigan, he could finish anywhere in the top half of the conference and probably do better than a No. 9 seed in the tournament.

Borseth didn't sound optimistic that things in the Horizon League will change anytime soon.

"Other schools (in the Horizon League) need to take their nonconference games seriously and try to win those games," Borseth said. "They're all building for the conference tournament and trying to play a bunch of players in the nonconference games. We play to win those (nonconference) games."

Sounds like a man on his way to Michigan if you ask me....

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/APC0201/703220549/1892/APCsports

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/07 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think he's probably take UWGB as far as possible.

The Colorado thing a couple of years ago might make some majors wary about hiring him.

He might as well say they're stuck. No school chooses their conference for the sake of women's basketball. WCBB teams get dragged along to whatever conference makes sense for the men or the football team.

PostPosted: 03/22/07 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

The Colorado thing a couple of years ago might make some majors wary about hiring him.

What Colorado thing?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/07 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:

What Colorado thing?

He accepted the Buffs job then changed his mind less than two hours before the press conference announcing his hiring.

PostPosted: 03/22/07 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Other schools (in the Horizon League) need to take their nonconference games seriously and try to win those games," Borseth said. "They're all building for the conference tournament and trying to play a bunch of players in the nonconference games. We play to win those (nonconference) games."

Borseth makes a good point. The conference itself needs to work together and challenge themselves. We have good examples like the Colonial Athletic or Sun Belt conference that have better than average conference RPI's and are starting to receive at-large berths. Should be possible, but I'm betting he takes off for a job like Michigan before anything else happens.

stever

PostPosted: 03/22/07 9:56 pm    ::: Borseth Gets Permission for U. of Michigan Interview Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=6267171

Quote:
U.W.-Green Bay Phoenix coach Kevin Borseth called the University of Michigan head coaching job his dream job.

Four years ago when that job was open, the Michigan native did not receive a chance to interview for the job. But he won't be slighted this time around.
Exclamation Very Happy

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/22/07 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now listen, Im in no way saying that UWGB should have beaten Uconn...but they HAD A LEAD in the 2nd half. How many teams can say that? As soon as there best player went to the bench with 4 fouls, the team plummetted. Obviously the team depth compared to Uconn, caught up with them. But they DID have a second half lead.

IF they could have hung on and won, this whole speach never happends. And UWGB would have gained a TON of points for future seedings in the Tourney.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been reported in the Green Bay paper this week that both Michigan and Cincy have received permission to talk to Kevin Borseth about their coaching vacancies.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/24/07 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
It's been reported in the Green Bay paper this week that both Michigan and Cincy have received permission to talk to Kevin Borseth about their coaching vacancies.

He's strongly committed to the region he's in: I suspect he or his wife have extended family they don't want to leave behind-- and remember they have five kids (don't know the ages).

If he takes Michigan, he could even end up commuting between Green Bay and Ann Arbor, which isn't very hard (just costly), for a year or two before all the kids have to change schools. I think he will take and should take the Michigan job, if it's offered, and I think the reasons above explain why he didn't take Colorado. Good for him.

Cincy would be a harder sell: I bet they pay worse, they're farther from Green Bay, it would be harder to show improvement in that conference-- you have to beat UConn and Rutgers to finish on top, and the conference is huge-- and Cincy has far more regional competition for top players (OSU, XU, Louisville, UK, Tennessee, as against Michigan State and to some extent Notre Dame for Michigan).

That's why I see coach Borseth in blue. I'd rather see him come to Minnesota, but the Gophers coaching job isn't open. Yet.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

He's strongly committed to the region he's in: I suspect he or his wife have extended family they don't want to leave behind-- and remember they have five kids (don't know the ages).

If he takes Michigan, he could even end up commuting between Green Bay and Ann Arbor, which isn't very hard (just costly), for a year or two before all the kids have to change schools. I think he will take and should take the Michigan job, if it's offered, and I think the reasons above explain why he didn't take Colorado. Good for him.

Cincy would be a harder sell: I bet they pay worse, they're farther from Green Bay, it would be harder to show improvement in that conference-- you have to beat UConn and Rutgers to finish on top, and the conference is huge-- and Cincy has far more regional competition for top players (OSU, XU, Louisville, UK, Tennessee, as against Michigan State and to some extent Notre Dame for Michigan).

That's why I see coach Borseth in blue. I'd rather see him come to Minnesota, but the Gophers coaching job isn't open. Yet.

I agree - I don't see him going to Cincy either although it could be interesting to have him and Geno coaching in the same conference. I think Michigan is the job he really wants. I agree about the pay being worse at Cincy and they haven't shown much of a commitment to the women's bball program in the past.

ITK

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Borseth kids are just about the right age for a move. I believe his oldest son is still in grade school and if Borseth waited any longer, moving on after his son's entry into the upper grades becomes a pretty tough adjustment for the entire family.

The Borseths have family in the UP and even though Ann Arbor is still farther away than Green Bay, I believe if the offer is made, he will take the job. He knows the Wisconsin and Michigan recruiting grounds very well, and even if he can't get the top recruits right away, he always gets the most out of his kids to move the program forward. Every team he has ever coached has over-achieved.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/24/07 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ITK wrote:
The Borseth kids are just about the right age for a move. I believe his oldest son is still in grade school and if Borseth waited any longer, moving on after his son's entry into the upper grades becomes a pretty tough adjustment for the entire family.

The Borseths have family in the UP and even though Ann Arbor is still farther away than Green Bay, I believe if the offer is made, he will take the job. He knows the Wisconsin and Michigan recruiting grounds very well, and even if he can't get the top recruits right away, he always gets the most out of his kids to move the program forward. Every team he has ever coached has over-achieved.

This is interesting given that it was just two years ago that Borseth stated that the reason behind his last-minute change of mind apropos the Colorado job was that he did not wish want to transplant his family.

And if memory serves me, I believe he also stated at the time that having reached thjis conclusion, he was going to stay put at UWGB for a long, long time.

OTOH, there was a lot of (whispered) speculation that what was really behing his mind change was a first-hand look at the price tag of real estate in Boulder. But again, that was just speculation.

That said, if what he said during the telephonic press conference in Boulder in 2005 was the truth, then I don't see him going anywhere.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/24/07 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would rather see a woman hired but that's my bias coming out. I'd really like to see the Michigan program turn around and become competitive.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/24/07 1:02 pm    ::: Two things Reply Reply with quote

ILUVBIGTEN wrote:
Would rather see a woman hired but that's my bias coming out. I'd really like to see the Michigan program turn around and become competitive.

#1. Shouldn't the desire be that the BEST candidate be hired, regardless of gender? "Equal rights" should work both directions.

#2. The Big 10 REALLY needs another program to step up. The conference is universally considered a Power-6 conference. But when only three teams from the conference make the tournament and only one makes the Sweet 16, the credibility of the entire conference take a hit.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/24/07 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn't the desire be that the BEST candidate be hired, regardless of gender? "Equal rights" should work both directions.

I understand your point and keep in mind I spoke of my bias and I own up to that. I just think that there are still too few women's coaches in WBB.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 2:04 pm    ::: Re: Two things Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
#1. Shouldn't the desire be that the BEST candidate be hired, regardless of gender? "Equal rights" should work both directions.

*wonders when men's basketball will get the hint*

PostPosted: 03/24/07 4:38 pm    ::: Re: Two things Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:

#2. The Big 10 REALLY needs another program to step up. The conference is universally considered a Power-6 conference. But when only three teams from the conference make the tournament and only one makes the Sweet 16, the credibility of the entire conference take a hit.

That is fine to say for this year, but really shows ignorance about the recent history of the Big 10.

Since 2000:

The B11 has had three different teams get No. 1 sees -- Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State. Only the SEC can say the same. Keep in mind, Purdue - the most consistently successful team in the league is not one of those teams.

The B11 has four teams in the Final Four -- Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota and Penn State. No other conference has had as many.

Five teams -- Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana, and Ohio State -- have won the B11 tournament. This is more than any other BCS conference. Penn State was the No. 1 seed three of the past seven years, yet never won.

All but one of the teams in the conference has made the NCAA tournament. Only Northwestern has missed out.

Since 2000, the top of the B11 has been more open and fluxuating than any other BCS conference in the nation.

ILUVBIGTEN

PostPosted: 03/24/07 7:49 pm    ::: Re: Two things Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stephen Shirley wrote:

That is fine to say for this year, but really shows ignorance about the recent history of the Big 10.

Since 2000:

The B11 has had three different teams get No. 1 sees -- Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State. Only the SEC can say the same. Keep in mind, Purdue - the most consistently successful team in the league is not one of those teams.

The B11 has four teams in the Final Four -- Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota and Penn State. No other conference has had as many.

Five teams -- Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana, and Ohio State -- have won the B11 tournament. This is more than any other BCS conference. Penn State was the No. 1 seed three of the past seven years, yet never won.

All but one of the teams in the conference has made the NCAA tournament. Only Northwestern has missed out.

Since 2000, the top of the B11 has been more open and fluxuating than any other BCS conference in the nation.

Yeah! What he said! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: