RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Penn State opening
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/24/07 11:09 am    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

Suzie will never say anything bad about her mentor Rene, who has done so much for Suzie, but I don't think Suzie is a bigot herself-- she just won't stand up to bigots. I don't know if there are people at PSU who ought to leave the program along with Rene, and I don't know whether Suzie will fire them. I suspect we'll find out.

I have a hard time seeing Staley at Penn State. I do see her taking an ACC job or an SEC job at some point. Maybe not now.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/24/07 12:33 pm    ::: Re: Penn State opening Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Suzie will never say anything bad about her mentor Rene, who has done so much for Suzie, but I don't think Suzie is a bigot herself-- she just won't stand up to bigots. I don't know if there are people at PSU who ought to leave the program along with Rene, and I don't know whether Suzie will fire them. I suspect we'll find out.

I have a hard time seeing Staley at Penn State. I do see her taking an ACC job or an SEC job at some point. Maybe not now.

I have to agree on both counts. I think you have to assume that SMS's stance on Portland was a result of her relationship, not her personal opinions about gays. I'd rather she had taken the charges more seriously, but I understand why she'd end up where she did.

As for Staley, the question has to be what would draw her. Penn State isn't anything special from her perspective - the Big 10 isn't "home," which the ACC would be, and it isn't the best conference in the country, either. My guess is that, to the extent that money is a factor for her, it would be hard for Penn State to come up with enough more than Temple to have her make the jump.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ACC is home for Staley? Why? Because she played there 15 years ago?

No ACC head coach coaches for his/her alma mater. Only two (Christy McKinney and Katie Meier) went to ACC schools. Why does Dawn Staley's ancient ACC history make her a strong candidate for an ACC job and no other job?

PostPosted: 03/24/07 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The ACC is home for Staley? Why? Because she played there 15 years ago?

No ACC head coach coaches for his/her alma mater. Only two (Christy McKinney and Katie Meier) went to ACC schools. Why does Dawn Staley's ancient ACC history make her a strong candidate for an ACC job and no other job?

A fair question, but we've been hearing for years that she wants to go to the ACC. Maybe that's wrong, as I'm not sure I've every seen her quoted on that point, but it would appear that she would have had plenty of opportunities to leave Temple for non-ACC teams before.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/07 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
it would appear that she would have had plenty of opportunities to leave Temple for non-ACC teams before.

She's interviewed at majors before. They've all wanted her to quit playing immediately, so she could devote her full attention to recruiting and such. She wasn't ready to quit until now.

PostPosted: 03/24/07 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I am the AD, I do not give the Penn State job to SMS. I have some private conversations with major donors about why not, but I don't break.

She has never coached at a college -- head or assistant -- and then she is supposed to just step into one of the most successful programs in the history of WCBB? She has never recruited. She has never headed a college program.

She coached in high school, and got fired from the WNBA? Forgetting the she played at Penn State, what on her resume makes her look like a coach who should get a major job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: